Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/simon-harris-two-women-travel-2940937-Aug2016/?utm_source=facebook_short
    MINISTER FOR HEALTH Simon Harris has expressed thanks to a Twitter account manned by two women who travelled to Britain for an abortion over the weekend.

“Thanks to @TwoWomenTravel for telling story of reality which faces many. Citizens Assembly – a forum to discuss 8th & make recommendations,” read the minister’s message on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Meanwhile, at the Fortress of the Legion of Legatus:
    CqXydFvWgAAYwPK.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice comment from Tim there,
    Shows their views towards women,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also covered in the Guardian here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

There's a Legion of Tim? Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Meanwhile, at the Fortress of the Legion of Legatus:
    CqXydFvWgAAYwPK.jpg

The Roman Praetorian Guard, how apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nice comment from Tim there,
    Shows their views towards women,

The exchange quoted by PopePalpatine is a spoof, surely?

pauldla wrote: »
    The exchange quoted by PopePalpatine is a spoof, surely?

In all honesty its hard to know given the utter crap these people spout on Twitter, example below

https://twitter.com/PaddyJManning/status/767041115224670208

So atheists don't give anything apparently
    :rolleyes:

And latest news just in is we now appear to have an Irish solution to this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,651 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In all honesty its hard to know given the utter crap these people spout on Twitter, example below

https://twitter.com/PaddyJManning/status/767041115224670208

So atheists don't give anything apparently
    :rolleyes:
    Or, theists don't, depending on whether you prefer Tweedledum or Tweedledee.

• Advertisement

debate: if we didn't have people publicly mentioning the repeal the 8th, would Cora Sherlock get time on the nationaL airwaves?

aloyisious wrote: »
    debate: if we didn't have people publicly mentioning the repeal the 8th, would Cora Sherlock get time on the nationaL airwaves?
    Experiment: stop publicly mentioning the repeal the 8th, & calculate how much time Cora Sherlock gets on the nationaL airwaves as a result. 20 years seems a reasonable timeframe?

@the above poster, personally speaking. I reckon the debate and the deleting of the 8th is the Pro-choice side's to lose, not the other way around. We have to behave coherently during the hearing set up by the Govt for advice on the issue in order not to lose the debate to the Anti-abortion groups. The Govt must not be given any wriggle-room to dodge and prevaricate about the action needed. I see some of the Anti-abortion reps as the best recruiting agents for the scrap the 8th movement.

I watched Cora on the TV3 show on Tuesday night debating the issue and she, in a comment near the close of that section of the show, tried to infer the host was biased towards the Pro-choice side. The comment was swatted away in a pleasant manner by the host Alison O'Connor, taking time to also point out the 4 guests debating the issue were women.

Edit. That edition of the show may have been on Monday, can't be sure. I've taken a look at the titles used to define the two sides in the debate and came to the conclusion that that of Pro-Life is misleading as, for their side, life can be lost either way of their argument. Pro-choice is straightforward, allow women to make a choice and not condemnatory.

Well, given that the 8th is emplaced in legislation already, I'd suggest it's actually the other way round; pro choice need to win in order to change anything.

That you would prefer not to allow the side you oppose to use their preferred terminology, whilst supporting your own, isn't exactly a new position in the discussion, I don't think it really merits any further consideration at this stage; people will use the terms they want.

Reading in the Examiner (Alison O'Connor) today that Red Sea is the pollster chosen to select the people at the National Convention. The abortion issue is not the only item to be discussed, and meeting will be held for up to 10 weekends – all day Saturday and until mid afternoon on Sunday - averaging one a month, beginning in October. It appears that abortion will be the first issue on the agenda. It remains only for Red Sea to decide who's going to be there, leaving me wondering if they use their own rule-book for choices or is there a new one for conventions, as another poll firm chose those at the last convention.

David Quinn, in the Indo, asked why the contestants in the Rose of Tralee event were asked in group sessions about their opinions on abortion, posing a question to the effect that if a opinion similar to that of an anti-abortion midwife had been given, the person might have been screened out. He seem's to be happy with RTE this time, putting the blame on festival Chief, Tony O'Gara for Brianna Parkins speaking her mind. David might just be biased against Brianna, as she's an ABC reporter and he doesn't have a good opinion of the Australian Broadcasting Corp (he think's they're all leftie pro-abortion opinionated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Iollan Leeden

The thing is that life doesn't exist.

"My mother tried to abort me but I am still pro-choice" item from Irish Times. One woman's view on the issue, and of use of the term "abortion survivor" and alternative expression in lieu of it. If you're interested, you can highlight and click on the words between the quotation " marks to see the article. If not, you can just ignore it. It's not what is usually spoken/read about in terms of the debate on abortion here in Ireland so I reckon it's worthy of mention in the debate here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm sure a good number of us are "contraception survivors", or "withdrawal survivors"

We are all the product of a rather improbable chain of events, out of millions of sperm, one fused with the egg to make you. If another sperm had made it then you would never have been born, and someone else might have been instead.

Many if not the majority of fertilised eggs never produce a live birth anyway.

It's really not worth anyone getting worried about all these "what might have been" things. If your father had never met your mother, etc. etc. Just accept that you are lucky enough to exist. :)

There must be a fair number of "abortion" survivors around too, as there were all sorts of (usually ineffective) home methods and old wives tales which desperate women tried. Bottle of vodka and a scalding hot bath was one I heard (sounds pretty risky.)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I'm sure a good number of us are "contraception survivors", or "withdrawal survivors"

"Just going for the one pint" survivors...

Might be interesting, a spokesperson for the British Abortion health charity, Bpas, and Ronan Mullen on the Ray D'arcy show about it providing a free help phone service for pregnant Irish women in Ireland seeking advice. It apparently involves women here who've bought pills online and taken them here relative to abortion.

Noted at the end of the debate between Ronan and the Bpas spokesperson, Ray mentioned that Ronan was speaking for the Anti-abortion side and Ronan interrupted to say he wasn't but was there at a personal level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

That's weird having an anti person on when talking about a flipping helpline. Do they have suicide shamers on when talking about those helplines?

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Seems Precious Life will be contacting PSNI about the helpline.

https://twitter.com/berni_smyrh/status/771283872243941376

If you can read this, you're too close!

stinkle wrote: »
    That's weird having an anti person on when talking about a flipping helpline. Do they have suicide shamers on when talking about those helplines?

Killing yourself is against god don't you know,

Delirium wrote: »
    Seems Precious Life will be contacting PSNI about the helpline.

https://twitter.com/berni_smyrh/status/771283872243941376

Well, ain't they great,
    What happens if they set up the helpline to run over VoIP or Skype, what exactly are the Police going to do about that?

Have they nothing better to do then try and stop a support network being setup for women that really need it, its pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, ain't they great,
    What happens if they set up the helpline to run over VoIP or Skype, what exactly are the Police going to do about that?

Have they nothing better to do then try and stop a support network being setup for women that really need it, its pathetic
    Yep, and if Skype doesn't work out, there's always encrypted messaging apps.

stinkle wrote: »

It's all about the "balance", don't ya know. Ray doesn't want to irritate the watchdog. Ronan "reminded" Ray at least three times each that he was paying Ray's salary and that Ray was always promoting the Pro-Choice side. I'm hoping that the show has a record of Ronan's acceptance of the show invite in case the Anti-abortion side claim there was no representation from their side on the show.

Kind'a curious that precious life are contacting the PSNI. I assumed the helpline was from the UK mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Im listening to Ray's show now. Mullen is some dose. Love his mansplaining to the BPAS representative and his speaking for all Irish women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep, and if Skype doesn't work out, there's always encrypted messaging apps.

They tried as hard as they could but even in the 80s with no internet or mobile phones, they still couldn't suppress abortion information in Ireland when it was illegal. A certain phone number was graffitied a fair bit in the vicinity of Dublin colleges. The fact that this phone number (and those of many pirate radio stations) were all paying rental for fixed lines to a semi-state company and nothing was ever done to shut them down said a lot about the impotence of the authorities :)

That reminds me, was in Stephen's Green today and the vegans had worked up enough energy to do some guerilla chalking. Near the bridge there was

'End Depression.
    Eat Vegan'

chalked on the ground.
    Was raging there was nothing available to make an addition:

'End Depression.
    Eat A Vegan.'

:pac:

Scrap the cap!

'End Depression.
    Eat A Vegan.'

:pac:

Reminds me of the old recipe for Shepherds pie. First peel two shepherds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

smacl wrote: »
    Reminds me of the old recipe for Shepherds pie. First peel two shepherds...

Or the one in Smithfield tI saw a few years back....

FREE PALESTINE

someone added underneath...

FREE DENTAL, LISA NEEDS BRACES :D

Anyways back on topic, free dental and abortions for everyone!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement