Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

smacl wrote: »
    Not so sure that faith is required. While you have a number of pro-life atheists such as Hitchens and pro-life humanists, the vast majority are closely connected to conservative religious groups. While correlation is not causation, I think it is a bit of a stretch to consider this coincidental, don't you? It is also worth remembering that atheists don't form a homogeneous group with a common world view, so for any major issue you would expect to find atheists on either side. This is very different to dogmatic religious organisations such as the Catholic church where the position on such issues is decreed by the hierarchy (even though it is increasingly ignored in countries such as Ireland), where pro-life is the party line.

Yup, we humans can be just ornery folk at times. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fran17 wrote: »
    Hotblack Desiato used the Nazi terminology a little earlier in an attempt to besmirch another poster

Frostyjacks made a ridiculous anti-Semitic post and I called them out on it, is all.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Frostyjacks made a ridiculous anti-Semitic post and I called them out on it, is all.

How on earth did you interpret that as anti-Semitic?

Elliott S wrote: »
    Aye, there was a few anti-abortionistas out and about along the march route but I found there to be far more support than opposition from the sidelines which was very nice to see. Cheering, clapping, chanting. I noticed the North Earl Street guy, reminding us that we were all sinners. Well surely he believes in original sin so, like, duh. :pac:

Some of the chants and banners were hilarious: "They tried to make me go to England, but I said "No No No!"", "Hail Mary, full of grace, allow to us repeal the eighth!", "Not your pussy, not your problem!", a laminated piece of paper saying "I have an A3 laminator, in your face, anti-choicers!" :D Way more that I can't remember. Can anyone else remember any?

Two stick in mind: Defeotus? Me Bollix! (two lines) AND Think Outside My Box.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Your comment was both paranoid and trivially anti-Semitic. If you're unable to notice either or both, then I suggest you read it again and again until you do.

Please be aware that A+A provides as much freedom as possible to its posterhood, though it's inevitable that this freedom sometimes includes enough for posters to hang themselves.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Your comment was both paranoid and trivially anti-Semitic. If you're unable to notice either or both, then I suggest you read it again and again until you do.

Please be aware that A+A provides as much freedom as possible to its posterhood, though it's inevitable that this freedom sometimes includes enough for posters to hang themselves.

Anti-Semitic? Calling someone Jewish-American is anti-Semitic now?

Paranoid? We already know he's throwing money at multiple groups here in Ireland to force change. Other Catholic countries such as Poland have been mentioned as being next on the list. It's not paranoia when it's actually happening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is the faith even relevant?
    Why even bring it into the discussion? The BBC article you linked to makes no mention of Jewish-American or Jewish people so why did you bring this into the discussion?

It certainly suggests you have a chip on your shoulder against Jewish people, just like you have a massive chip on your shoulder against people of the Muslim faith.

Its seems everyone is fine in your book as long as they are all catholic and confirm to your narrowly defined viewpoint.

Cabaal wrote: »
    How is the faith even relevant?
    Why even bring it into the discussion? The BBC article you linked to makes no mention of Jewish-American or Jewish people so why did you bring this into the discussion?

It certainly suggests you have a chip on your shoulder against Jewish people, just like you have a massive chip on your shoulder against people of the Muslim faith.

Its seems everyone is fine in your book as long as they are all catholic and confirm to your narrowly defined viewpoint.

I can only assume faith is relevant, given the placards at the weekend referencing rosary beads and the Virgin Mary. If this guy is paying money to alter our constitution, and our moral fibre, then it's important to know who he is, his background, motives etc.

Hint - you would be wise not to misrepresent a forum moderator when (s)he has called you out on a comment you made.

For your information, referring to another poster as having "Jewish-American paymasters" is both paranoid-conspiratorial and trivially anti-Semitic. As well as being against the Forum Charter which you might like to read before posting in A+A again.

If you are unhappy with a forum moderator's decision, you can appeal it in the Dispute Resolution forum where your complaint will be reviewed by senior site admins - in this case, I would advise you not to waste your time appealing an in-thread warning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

More pictures from the weekend, including some from the protest in London

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/09/26/unbowed-3/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The "Jewish-American paymasters" line is straight out of 1930s Nazi propaganda.

Scrap the cap!

Just to keep on the topic of Nazi's, it seems the Youth Defense just can't help itself (just like frosty)

Making comparisons in relation to pro-choice and the final solution, slaves etc

Utterly pathetic,

The video is full of lies, repeal the 8th doesn't equal to what they are claiming in the video and they know it. Also once the 8th is removed we would simply legislate (like a normal country)

But then do we expect anything more then lies and deception from Youth Defense, I certainly don't. Infact if tomorrow they started claiming that repealing the 8th would actually mean all women would have to have atleast one abortion I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

I honestly think they are incapable of speaking the truth and sticking to facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How do they she's not just a genuine pro-abortion protester? The placard is in keeping with the others seen on the march.

How do they she's not just a genuine pro-abortion protester? The placard is in keeping with the others seen on the march.

If you're correct in your question and her identity, how much longer do you reckon she will be a member of Youth Defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Jesus, does anyone call their kids Fatima or Concepta or names like that, these days?

Jesus, does anyone call their kids Fatima or Concepta or names like that, these days?

Why are you asking him? :D

Edit: ask Mrs Butler from Tolka Row, you might have to "google" for the answer.

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

She is a member of Youth Defense, as shown by the second tweet you quoted.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Because she's a spokesperson for the pro-life crowd, thats why

http://www.thelifeinstitute.net/latest-news/watch-irish-times-bias-and-the-abortion-that-never-happened/

Oh look, here she is again, proudly pro-life at the start of September 2016
    http://www.thelifeinstitute.net/latest-news/its-about-answering-peoples-questions-young-people-on-the-life-canvass-in-dublin/

Its safe to say the "pro-life" crowd were trying to do a setup during the choice march so they could claim pro-choice people are evil

aloyisious wrote: »
    Why are you asking him?

I don't think he was asking anyone specifically, it's clearly a general; question.

The answer to which is....religious people call their kids Fatima,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Its safe to say the "pro-life" crowd were trying to do a setup during the choice march so they could claim pro-choice people are evil

In an utterly idiotic way. If the placard had attracted the sought-after media attention, someone would inevitably have identified Fatima and her background...

[...] religious people call their kids Fatima,
    Not an expert in this, but I always had Fatima down as just a little bit islamic. I'm sure Allah doesn't mind. Not so sure about the catholic deity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Fatima is definitely Catholic as well though, I think the link is the Arab conquest of Spain/Portugal.

You mean you don't know the third secret of Fatima and all that? What was your granny thinking of? ;)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

volchitsa wrote: »
    Fatima is definitely Catholic as well though, I think the link is the Arab conquest of Spain/Portugal.
    Fatima is also a dead ringer for Katie Martin A.K.A. Katie Ascough, daughter of Sean Ascough, secretary of the Iona Institute.

I'm not a fan of the AAA-PBP but if doing this pushes this issue to the front and gets FG/FF to finally run a ref then by all means they can do this every single day.
    Until then FG/FF will continue to ignore it

http://www.thejournal.ie/8th-amendment-repeal-2-2998520-Sep2016/

?width=630&version=2998523

I'm not a fan of the AAA-PBP but if doing this pushes this issue to the front and gets FG/FF to finally run a ref then by all means they can do this every single day.
    Until then FG/FF will continue to ignore it

http://www.thejournal.ie/8th-amendment-repeal-2-2998520-Sep2016/

?width=630&version=2998523

If there was six of them taking part, they would have been better off each wearing a t-shirt with one big letter on it, and sit together on the same row.

I don't think it's appropriate for the Dail anyhow. They are paid more than enough to dress themselves with a bit of decorum.

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

so, you're a pro-life group and you attempt to pose as pro-choice marchers to attempt to generate negative sentiment for the pro-choice side of the debate.

Unfortunately, you get snapped and picture is posted to the interweb. your "cunning" plan has been exposed.

What now? do you abandon your original plan?

Hell, no! you double-down!!

https://twitter.com/TeilHarder/status/780796079767969793

If you can read this, you're too close!

They have no shame, no shame what so ever,
    Dirty tactics are the only thing they know, but then thats the norm with Youth Defense people. they have a history of dirty tactics

They are also hanging out in Waterford today as well it seems, (see picture below)

Their tactic seems to be to outright make up stuff (such as above) and to claim all of the media is bias, you can't have a reasoned debate with these lunatics

CtXtWb8W8AAksOn.jpg

• Advertisement

Delirium wrote: »
    so, you're a pro-life group and you attempt to pose as pro-choice marchers to attempt to generate negative sentiment for the pro-choice side of the debate.

Unfortunately, you get snapped and picture is posted to the interweb. your "cunning" plan has been exposed.

What now? do you abandon your original plan?

Hell, no! you double-down!!

https://twitter.com/TeilHarder/status/780796079767969793

That 1st photo image is really negative and totally unrealistic, it'd be high on the Saatchi and Saatchi list of what not to do for your client.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement