Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Disappointed to see bullyboy tactics succeeded in Poland. It will only embolden the silly women and their beta male lackeys over here. I dread to think what stunts they have in the pipeline.

So you think that men who believe that women are entitled to control over their own bodies are by definition "beta" males? :eek:

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I somehow picture Mullen having a sticky 3 foot tongue for catching mice and frogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

aloyisious wrote: »
    This being an irish Times poll, it'll be discounted as biased by people opposed to abortion

I think they'll be happy with that.

They'll scare the 55% "limited abortion" crowd with the spectre of the 19% "UK style abortion" and defeat the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

volchitsa wrote: »
    So you think that men who believe that women are entitled to control over their own bodies are by definition "beta" males? :eek:

Welcome to alphabater logic, where insecurity over women being able to reject your advances and laugh at your trilby & goatee somehow makes you a macho man.

Desmond Tutu is pro-choice {assisted suicide}.
    Regardless of what you might choose for yourself, why should you deny others the right to make this choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I think they'll be happy with that.

They'll scare the 55% "limited abortion" crowd with the spectre of the 19% "UK style abortion" and defeat the referendum.

AKA as the "it'll open the floodgates" syndrome......

I think I'll wait to read the opinion/columnist pieces by David, Brenda and Rónan to get the truth.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Disappointed to see bullyboy tactics succeeded in Poland. It will only embolden the silly women and their beta male lackeys over here. I dread to think what stunts they have in the pipeline.

Are they really betas if they're bullying the alphas?

Qs wrote: »
    Are they really betas if they're bullying the alphas?

Logic has no place in frostyjack's thinking, it's all about gut feeling and fear of change.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

volchitsa wrote: »

No man would voluntarily join a bunch of uppity militant feminists on their hateful cause. It would be emasculating.

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No man would voluntarily join a bunch of uppity militant feminists on their hateful cause. It would be emasculating.

So it's emasculating to support, for example, women who wish to have an abortion due to FFA diagnosis or due to becoming pregnant through rape?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Abortion has been a woman's rights issue for the guts of a century. If that's "militant feminist", so were the suffragettes, women asking for property rights, women asking for equal pay for equal work etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Nothing emasculating about standing up for the rights of your wife, girlfriend, mother, sister or daughter. My husband was proud to march with me a few weeks ago because he has been personally affected by the lack of abortion services in Ireland. I would say that slagging off other men because they don't tick a box on some "how to be manly" checklist is quite a sad and pathetic way to live but carry on son, you know best.

John McEnroe's exclamation here (part one) just about sum's up my understanding of your's....... :) The second part of his is just fortuitous.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj71Zn4_8jPAhVoKcAKHen_DXsQtwIIHTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DekQ_Ja02gTY&usg=AFQjCNF_1QSNuJUQsj81yjNOU-HcKunixA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Does telling women what they should do with THEIR OWN BODIES make you feel like a real man? Do you feel more masculine looking down at women like that?

Does us a favour and ask your female friends and colleagues what they think a real man would do?

frag420 wrote: »
    Does telling women what they should do with THEIR OWN BODIES make you feel like a real man? Do you feel more masculine looking down at women like that?

Does us a favour and ask your female friends and colleagues what they think a real man would do?

Give the uppity b1tch a slap around the head to teach her her place, maybe? :mad:

The topic was on RTE's drive-time while we wrote. It seem's the Govt has given the Citizens Assembly, which sits for the first time in 2 weeks, 6 months to talk and give it a report on the 8th for the Oireachtas. It seem's there might be about 3 months for the houses to talk about the report. It might end up in a referendum after that, rather than Govt initiated law passed by the houses. The current Dail might be history by then. The old tale of elephants gestating.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

frag420 wrote: »

Nobody is looking down on women or telling them what they should do; there's no need when the law is sitting proudly over us. If you don't like the law of the land, then leave. How difficult is it for them to obey the law?

All this my body, my choice nonsense...can I walk around Dublin with Swastikas or such like tattooed all over my face and arms? But it's my body, my choice m'lud.

The child pregnant women are carrying has rights. Why are we throwing rights to homosexuals and transgenders and trying to take them off the unborn? Madness.

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nobody is looking down on women or telling them what they should do; there's no need when the law is sitting proudly over us. If you don't like the law of the land, then leave. How difficult is it for them to obey the law?
    Why should they leave? They can protest/lobby for the laws to be changed.
    All this my body, my choice nonsense...can I walk around Dublin with Swastikas or such like tattooed all over my face and arms? But it's my body, my choice m'lud.
    Are there any laws prohibiting you from doing so? And what relevance does it have to a pregnant woman availing of an abortion?
    The child pregnant women are carrying has rights. Why are we throwing rights to homosexuals and transgenders and trying to take them off the unborn? Madness.
    'Protect the unborn....and hope they aren't homosexual or transgender'. :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was the government's bullyboy tactics which failed.

Scrap the cap!

Abortion has been a woman's rights issue for the guts of a century millenium.

fyp :) There's even a catholic saint who supposedly performed an abortion.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

It was the government's bullyboy tactics which failed.
    I thought it was NGOs that proposed the legislation, and the government did what it was supposed to do when presented with such a citizens initiative?

Nobody is looking down on women or telling them what they should do, seriously? When's the last time you saw or heard mention of a Pro-abortion group offering "abort the feotus" advice to women outside anti-abortion "clinics" which offer women "keep the baby" advice?

Of course we could do again what we did in the 80's, change the law which sit's proudly over us (maybe even looking down on us metaphorically-speaking). That way women wouldn't have to leave the country then like they are now. Difficult enough having to obey the law for 9 months against one's will for a non-criminal act.

Your distraction tactics, throwing in the tattoo, homosexual and transgender citizens to distract doesn't work except on the believers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

So all we have to do is have the referendum, change the law and you will be ok with the new laws, good to know!!

Why would you want to walk around Dublin covered in Swastika tattoos, thats just dumb and looking for attention. Choosing to have an abortion is not attention seeking and more or less a private thing for women.

And how are we throwing away rights? We gave the LGBT community the rights that they should have had all along, we are balancing the cheque book so to speak.

The child a woman is carrying has rights afforded by the law. So all we have to do is change the law as stated above and all is good!

For a while there Jack I thought we were on different pages but it seems we are both on the same page, great to know that you agree!!

Instead of FrostyJack I am going to call you StartingtoThawOutJack!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

About this whole swastikas tattooed on your face stuff... People do actually do it. While it seems a bit mad, it is actually for a respectable cause (ugly 90s website alert). And there is a guy who walks around Dublin with this and is an absolute gent if you ever get talking to him.

El Salvador's new left-wing government is planning to remove the country's total ban on abortion in the case of rape, threat to the mother's life and fatal foetal abnormalities. BBC

Poland's ruling Govt party planning to bring in another anti-abortion law.... http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/its-not-over-yet-polands-abortion-row-explained-759251.html

Kaczynski told the Polish news agency PAP: “We will strive to ensure that even in pregnancies which are very difficult, when a child is sure to die, strongly deformed, women end up giving birth so that the child can be baptised, buried, and have a name.”

So if you're not catholic, this law won't apply to you. Why can't all religion-inspired legislation be like that :cool:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

So if you're not catholic, this law won't apply to you. Why can't all religion-inspired legislation be like that :cool:

Dubious... Catholics aren't the only ones who can baptise children.

Family & Life, self-described as Ireland's largest Pro-Life/Pro-Family Human Rights Organisation - thinks tomorrow's sitting of the Citizens Assembly for it's first task to discuss the future of the 8th Amendment is a charade according to it's F/B page. While it is sitting tomorrow, I imagine that it's only to meet & greet each other and with the chair, Judge Laffoy. It's first formal sitting is next month. I'm not sure what Family & Life's belief in the 8th's future is. Drive-Time is discussing what the C.A's will do etc.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNv4_c2trPAhXCJ8AKHSuQBAkQFggjMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFamilyVitae%2F&usg=AFQjCNE600XTefX_Ufs58O-8nueWNk5fbA

Edit.... one of the things mentioned on RTE news last night was that the persons sitting in the CA would be identified, inclusive of their COUNTY addresses. Whatever about TV cameras covering the sittings and showing who the citizens are, the notion that concerned people might be able to use the H/A info for Pro or Anti purposes is worrying. There is previous established practice of over-enthusiastic people "lobbying" at home addresses here.

Edit..... No HOME ADDRESSES being supplied, only respective COUNTIES...... Ta, Expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

aloyisious wrote: »
    Family & Life, self-described as Ireland's largest Pro-Life/Pro-Family Human Rights Organisation - thinks tomorrow's sitting of the Citizens Assembly for it's first task to discuss the future of the 8th Amendment is a charade according to it's F/B page. While it is sitting tomorrow, I imagine that it's only to meet & greet each other and with the chair, Judge Laffoy. It's first formal sitting is next month. I'm not sure what Family & Life's belief in the 8th's future is. Drive-Time is discussing what the C.A's will do etc.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNv4_c2trPAhXCJ8AKHSuQBAkQFggjMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFamilyVitae%2F&usg=AFQjCNE600XTefX_Ufs58O-8nueWNk5fbA

Edit.... one of the things mentioned on RTE news last night was that the persons sitting in the CA would be identified, inclusive of their home addresses. Whatever about TV cameras covering the sittings and showing who the citizens are, the notion that concerned people might be able to use the H/A info for Pro or Anti purposes is worrying. There is previous established practice of over-enthusiastic people "lobbying" at home addresses here.

county not home address

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement