Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Odhinn wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have a link, by any chance?

I think the link in question may be on RTE from this morning where David and Colm O'Gorman debated the foreign funding of both debating sides on the abortion issue.

David is upset that Amnesty are not doing what an oversight group wants them to do, return funding to what David believes is a George Soras funded group interfering in the internal politics of Ireland, south of the border, while Amnesty is looking at going legal on the opinion of the oversight group.

Edit: ta Gintonious

And now Ronan Mullen is having a go in the committee as well.

Where the hell do these carnival barkers come from?

Fatal Fetal abnormality has been recommended as grounds for termination of pregnancy. Ta 18 - Nil 3. Ronan disagrees with the use of the word Fatal in conjunction with Fetal Abnormality. Mattie McGrath pointed out that children can live up to 11 years while having said defect. Ronan - because they are more vulnerable, they have less rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Gintonious wrote: »
    And now Ronan Mullen is having a go in the committee as well.

Where the hell do these carnival barkers come from?

You mean you disagree with Ronán Mullen.

• Advertisement

You mean you disagree with Ronán Mullen.

Thankfully, yes.

Thankfully, yes.

you know you can disagree with somebody without pathologizing them.

Decriminalization of some aspects of abortion seem to be under discussion, re a doctor performing something outside the law as distinct from a woman having an abortion outside current criminal law. Ronan is talkig now, making distinctions between different actions by the above people, subsequent state actions against them and prison terms liable, all in terms of decriminaliztion of abortion [with references to the British legal abortion sitution]. Sometimes I wonder if he's doing it as an nti-brit bias or if there'd be a difference if France was the neighbour in question...... Something I thought might be behind two questions before the committee has been mentioned at last - backstreet abortions. It's being partly answered by another member.

It looks likes Ronan is setting the stage for a personal walkout in protest.....

He's been given a slap-down by another member, not the chair, for insulting them and their work on the committee while he was trying to prevent the chair from closing today's session to allow the back office workers do the paperwork on todays meeting [and clean the room]. Resumes tomorrow at 5PM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

aloyisious wrote: »
    It looks likes Ronan is setting the stage for a persdonal walkout in protest.....

A tragedy for the level of debate I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    A tragedy for the level of debate I'm sure.

I'm so glad I don't have interactions with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1213/927010-eighth_amendment/
    This bit is confusing me:
    The Oireachtas Committee on the Eighth Amendment has voted by 12 votes to five in favour of a motion to recommend making the termination of pregnancy lawful with no restriction up to 12 weeks.
    One of the tighter votes this afternoon was on termination of pregnancy when socio-economic considerations were taken into account.

Members voted by 10-9 against that proposal by the Independent Senator Lynn Ruane.

So some committee members voted in favour of 'abortion on demand' but against abortion on socio-economic grounds.:confused:
    Was the socio-economic grounds motion intended to be without term limits perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm so glad I don't have interactions with him.

Though in a younger age group, he reminds me of people I went to school with (not a good thing at all, at all). This was from back in the day when going out looking for sex was a sin, but the greater evil was actually admitting openly to doing so. Women who had sex were "sluts" and so on. Talk of forgiving sinners was just that.

you know you can disagree with somebody without pathologizing them.

I am well aware of that. But his conduct and actions throughout this committee has been nothing short of shameful and disgusting. His comments about Savita in particular, what self respecting human would say such a thing?

He is vile to the core, his moral barometer is completely incompatible with day to day living.

I disagree with everything he says, but I also find him to be a poor excuse of a human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So some committee members voted in favour of 'abortion on demand' but against abortion on socio-economic grounds.:confused:
    Was the socio-economic grounds motion intended to be without term limits perhaps?
    They seem to be voting on the Citizens' Assembly's recommendations, and from memory that proposed a separate, later term limit for socio-economic reasons, separate from the main "any reason up to 12 weeks".

it might have been 24 weeks as the UK has (not sure about that).

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Link: http://www.thejournal.ie/eighth-amendment-committee-9-3748159-Dec2017/

What's below is from the timeline on the committee meeting showing the verbals in print You'll have to scroll down to see/read it. Hopefully it'll be of help. IT's IN THE 3.39 PM SEGMENT... It might refer to financial affordability itself when the morning-after pill is way gone past, say around the mentioned 12th week and maybe even later.

3:32PM
    Regarding cases where there is a real and substantial physical risk to the life of the woman, Kate O’Connell is proposing:
    That the Committee recommend that termination of pregnancy be lawful, without gestational limit, where the life or health of the woman is at risk and that a distinction should not be drawn between the physical and mental health of the woman.

O’Connell asks the committee to imagine a case where a mother ends up having a stroke and becomes disabled, or where a blood clot becomes a pulmonary embolism. She also says term limits should be defined by best medical practice which should be written in legislation.
    Fianna Fáil TD Lisa Chambers wants the motion split in two before it’s voted on.

Catherine Murphy says regulation will be required as well as legislation. Sinn Féin Senator Paul Gavan supports the motion.
    Speaking about risks to a woman’s health – and how quickly situations can deteriorate – Fine Gael TD Bernard Durkan says: “In the interest of health and safety it is better that action can be taken sooner than later.”

3:35PM
    Rónán Mullen says the ground of mental health risk has led to “widespread” abortion and that there is no evidence to suggest abortion helps a woman’s mental health.
    He opposes the amendments.
    Jan O’Sullivan disagrees with Mullen, saying she agrees with O’Connell and Murphy.

3:39PM
    Fine Gael Senator Jerry Buttimer supports O’Connell’s motion, saying the Eighth Amendment has had a negative impact on medical practice here.

Independent Senator Lynn Ruane says she supports O’Connell’s motion but is concerned it doesn’t include socio-economic grounds as a reason for abortion.

Replying to a query by Mullen, Fine Gael TD Bernard Durkan says he didn’t make his remarks about women being harmed by Irish law lightly, adding that he is aware of cases where this has happened.

O’Connell’s motion has been passed – again the vote was 14 in favour, six against and one abstention (chairperson).

McGrath’s amendment to remove suicidality as a factor is not carried – three in favour, 17 against, one abstention (chair).

3:56PM
    Committee backs Citizens’ Assembly (CA) recommendation that terminations should be available in cases where the woman’s mental health is at risk: 16 in favour, four against, one abstention (chairperson).

4:05PM
    Lynn Ruane’s below motion has not been passed – nine in favour, 10 against, two abstentions:
    That the committee recommend the termination of pregnancy be lawful where there is a risk to the health of the woman and that socio-economic considerations be taken into consideration in this regard.

This vote relates to circumstances where the woman’s physical health is also at risk, a separate vote will later be taken on whether socio-economic grounds should themselves be grounds for an abortion.

The religion of selfism has one out; the religion that elevates personal selfishness above everything else. The idiotic slogan 'my body my choice' - as if our personal actions don't affect other people - sums up modern Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

The religion of selfism has one out; the religion that elevates personal selfishness above everything else. The idiotic slogan 'my body my choice' - as if our personal actions don't affect other people - sums up modern Irish society.

Perhaps you'd prefer 'Womens bodies, my choice'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

What a positive milestone this evening, overall.

There’s a long way to go yet (as everyone knows) but the end is in sight for this decades old maternal care national disgrace & dark ages, theocratic, misogynist nightmare.

Selfishness above everything else? How dare women want some sort of control over their bodies.

Horrible selfishness altogether. They should be more considering of complete strangers and their opinions of their bodies.

• Advertisement

Selfishness above everything else? How dare women want some sort of control over their bodies.

Horrible selfishness altogether. They should be more considering of complete strangers and their opinions of their bodies.

You're obsessed with women's bodies. I care about the innocent baby.

You are the one denying them human rights, you claim to care about them but in reality you don't. How any anyone keep a straight face when they say they are pro-life but not care about the woman in the situations.

Comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Actual sentient life outweighs potential life. Women need to be able to protect their lives, their health and the children they already have.

Actual sentient life outweighs potential life. Women need to be able to protect their lives, their health and the children they already have.

Can't they do all that before they get pregnant?

You are the one denying them human rights, you claim to care about them but in reality you don't. How any anyone keep a straight face when they say they are pro-life but not care about the woman in the situations.

Comical.

I don't know what human rights are. Given that you believe a woman should have full autonomy over her body, and therefore should be able to choose to do with said body whatever she chooses, are you in favour of abortion one week before the baby is due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't know what human rights are. Given that you believe a woman should have full autonomy over her body, and therefore should be able to choose to do with said body whatever she chooses, are you in favour of abortion one week before the baby is due?

Why have an abortion at 39 weeks when the pregnancy can just be terminated :confused:

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why have an abortion at 39 weeks when the pregnancy can just be terminated :confused:

I don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't understand.

If a woman decided at 39 weeks that she didn't want to be pregnant anymore they could induce labour. The pregnancy is terminated as per her wishes, no need for an abortion.

Can't they do all that before they get pregnant?

So those feckless wimmins deserve their punishment, is that it?

There's a lot of black and white thinking on this issue, but real life is not so simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Before, during and after. The 8th forces unnecessary risks to be taken even in the case of non-viable pregnancy and risks women's lives and health even in the case of continued pregnancy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement