Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

aloyisious wrote: »
    Does anyone know the situation on abortion in N.I. following on from the High Court in Belfast ruling in favour of the N.I.H.R.C. case? I heard Arlene Foster interviewed on RTE earlier today and (when asked about abortion in N.I.) said she would wait for the court decision before making a comment (or words to that effect). I found this on google, from a few days ago: https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjh6YyD1-XJAhXFRw8KHR6BDYwQqQIIMzAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-northern-ireland-35110085&usg=AFQjCNFBCGpq5Q3U6R3Yrb95oq7MDqYI1A
    Similar to the situation pertaining in ROI from 1992-2013 following the x-case, where abortion in certain circumstances is both legal and illegal. Constitutionally legal, but legislatively illegal.

I disagree with the journalist's view in that article that politicians are under no obligation to do anything to change the legislation in these circumstances. The courts do not have the power to give direct orders to legislators, but MLA's or TDs or parliamentarians in any democracy still have an obligation to "run the country" and to ensure that any legislation is fit for purpose. Keeping unconstitutional laws on the books is a neglect of duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

frag420 wrote: »
    Not the sort of person I would use to bolster my argument in matters of conscience!!
    Agreed, He isn’t . I should have read up on him more. Scratch previous post;

I think I’ll give up this quotation lark now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

130Kph wrote: »
    Agreed, He isn’t . I should have read up on him more. Scratch previous post;

I think I’ll give up this quotation lark now :o

You're alright, don't worry! I got your meaning and it was to be non-judgmental about matters of conscience. Keep posting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

130Kph wrote: »
    "In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place".
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Edit: Apropos of nothing; how one can view terminations as a matter for the individual alone.

Unfortunately there's the thing known as the "Moral Majority" who get to decide what the morals of others should be. I do agree with you (if it's what you mean) that the host should be able legally to decide what to do with the guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

frag420 wrote: »
    This the same Ghandi who was an admirer of Mussolini and happily attended a black shirt parade? The same Ghandi that was a racist referring to black South Africans as Raw Kaffir and petitioned the government so that respected Indians did not have to use the same door to enter the post office as black people.The same Ghandi that slept naked with his grandniece?

Not the sort of person I would use to bolster my argument in matters of conscience!!

When I became an adult I recognised that there is no such thing as a hero. All humans have feet of clay. This shouldn't stop us from being able to recognise their achievements though, along with their flaws, but we all have flaws.

Hero worship is for kids.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Though an ability to recognise and applaud admirable qualities in others, particularly those you find disagreeable, is certainly not an immature quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The BAI upheld some complaints about the Ray DArcy show, so that'll be a talking point in future debates, methinks.

This article involves Justive Minister Frances Fitzgerald & Transport Minister Pascal Donohoe - apparently regardless of whether Labour sat with F/G in Govt again.. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fine-gael-duo-vow-to-address-abortion-in-2016-373962.html

In almost rebuttal-fashion, David Quinn has a 32-Para comment-piece on page 22 of today's Irish Indo titled "In 2015 we voted against the right of a child to a mother and a father". The piece is centred around a photo of Panti-Bliss/Rory alongside others in Dublin Castle grounds celebrating the result of the Civil Marriage referendum result. After the first two para's, in which he attacks Liberalism as "tremendously self-reinforcing" AND "giving it the appearance of being the only way to think", he moves on to what he view's as the next target of Liberalism, the 8th amendment. As I had read the comment-piece in print, I'm unable to provide a link myself. The piece is too long to type in here anyway.

I'd like this to mean the Pro-Life campaigners won't attend at the Citizens Convention but won't hold my breath.... http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/citizens-convention-only-for-show-says-pro-life-campaigners-713814.html

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'd like this to mean the Pro-Life campaigners won't attend at the Citizens Convention but won't hold my breath.... http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/citizens-convention-only-for-show-says-pro-life-campaigners-713814.html

They will be infiltrating as many 'experts' as possible, Dublin Declaration style.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Hmmm, look's like "liberalism" is the new buzzword of choice by the "Pro-life" campaign. It got a mention by the Archbishop yesterday to describe people who are pro-choice, asking "pro-lifers" to ask politicians about their position on abortion-right of choice for women in view of the upcoming election.

Just seen this link on F/Book from the Rabble-page... http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/04/ireland-first-legal-abortion?CMP=share_btn_tw

edit... Seem's that Rabble may have picked up on an erroneous re-post on The Guardian.com webpage and I reposted that error here. Apologies and thank's to those who spotted the error. I think I copied the original as a Rabble item and it then converted into a The Guardian item when I posted it here.

Quoth the server, 404.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Quoth the server, 404.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/jan/04/corrections-and-clarifications
    Technical problems during the deletion of an incorrect 2013 article about abortion in Ireland led to it being relaunched on our website and automatically tweeted as though it was a new story. The article has now been removed from our databases and the tweets deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think this one is correct:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/05/northern-ireland-medics-fear-prison-abortion-advice

Hopefully the recent case in the high court will sort this out.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"A process to deal with examining the Eighth Amendment should be completed in the next government, Tánaiste Joan Burton has said.
    Ms Burton and Taoiseach Enda Kenny were speaking at the annual review of the Programme for Government.
    The Tánaiste also said the process to deal with the issue should be completed in a year to a year-and-a-half in the next government, before a referendum would take place on repealing the amendment.
    Mr Kenny has said he was loath to put a date on it, and did not want to be presumptuous, but said a referendum would take place during the course of the next government on the issue.
    He said he believed that the referendum would take place within a few years."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0111/759251-next-govt-eighth-amendment/

You can almost hear the creaks as its dragged out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

What a shower of...

It's finally happened.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-woman-accused-of-using-poison-to-procure-abortion-1.2492666
    A Co Down woman has appeared in court accused of using a poison to procure her own abortion.

The 21-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faces two charges over allegedly supplying and administering harmful substances. She was returned for trial after a judge confirmed she has a case to answer.

The accused entered the dock at Belfast Magistrates’ Court on Monday for a preliminary enquiry into alleged offences committed during June and July 2014.

One charge involves unlawfully administering to herself noxious substances, namely the drugs Mifepristone and Misoprostol, with intent to procure a miscarriage for herself. She is further accused of supplying or procuring a poison, knowing that it was to be used for the intentions of a miscarriage.

Both charges are contrary to the Offences Against the Person Act 1861.

She's out on bail.

Isn't the penalty life in prison? It's 14 years here under PLDP Act.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's finally happened.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-woman-accused-of-using-poison-to-procure-abortion-1.2492666

She's out on bail.

A complete and utter waste of the courts time and taxpayers money but I'm sure Bernadette Smyth is doing novenas that she's convicted.

It's finally happened.

She's out on bail.

Nodin wrote: »

I might be wrong, but I don't believe it is a mandatory life sentence. This is under the 1861 legislation, yes, that's right, 1861. There was no mandatory sentencing at that time.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Seemed to be some sort of pro-life placards, etc, as I was on the bus going past the Dail this morning.

Dave was apparently complaining via Twitter about the new master of the Rotunda getting a relatively easy time on last week's Late Late Show.

Also, craic below.

https://twitter.com/FintanOToolbox/status/687054048789426176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Seemed to be some sort of pro-life placards, etc, as I was on the bus going past the Dail this morning.
    The big huge yokes? They're a regular feature outside the Dáil.

Curious to see what a Gay Man, a man who adopted two children and another man I can't be bothered looking up have to say about compulsory gestation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

When I became an adult I recognised that there is no such thing as a hero. All humans have feet of clay. This shouldn't stop us from being able to recognise their achievements though, along with their flaws, but we all have flaws.
    There are heroes, just all too often we incorrectly identify them. True heroism is minutes, hours, weeks, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care—with no one there to see or cheer. This is the world.
    Hero worship is for kids.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

A Co Down woman has appeared in court accused of using a poison to procure her own abortion.
    0.o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Independent (UK) reports:

An anti-abortion campaign group in Ireland have been derided online for holding an event on women’s healthcare – with only male speakers.

Family and Life, a Dublin-based organisation, is holding an event tomorrow evening in the capital city. Titled ‘How to Protect the 8th amendment’ in reference to the constitutional clause which bans abortion, the event is described as “pro-life”.

The discussion will feature three men; David Quinn, Patrick Carr and Paddy Manning.
    …One of the speakers, David Quinn, has defended the event, telling The Independent: “I don’t regard abortion as a woman’s healthcare issue only but as a right-to-life issue as well.

“The right to life of the unborn is obviously at stake in this debate and that is a human rights issue, not a woman’s issue or a man’s issue per se.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/irish-pro-life-group-criticised-for-all-male-panel-on-abortion-a6809631.html

Oh look they are on friendface - https://www.facebook.com/FamilyVitae

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/13/pro-choice-activists-plan-belfast-protest-abortion-trial-northern-ireland
    Pro-choice campaigners in Northern Ireland will stage demonstrations this weekend to protest against the first prosecution of a woman in 40 years for procuring an abortion for herself.

The 21-year-old from County Down appeared in a Belfast court this week charged under a 19th-century law for taking abortion pills to induce a termination. Under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act the woman could face a sentence of up to life imprisonment.

Northern Ireland is the only region in the UK where the 1967 Abortion Act does not apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Odd that its the first case of its kind in 40 years.
    I can think of two possible explanations for this, but there are probably more.

1. The "poisons" have become available over the internet, by mail order, and the authorities want to be seen to clamp down before self-medication becomes more widespread.
    2. The authorities prosecuting the case are hoping to provoke a change in the legislation.

recedite wrote: »
    Odd that its the first case of its kind in 40 years.
    I can think of two possible explanations for this, but there are probably more.

1. The "poisons" have become available over the internet, by mail order, and the authorities want to be seen to clamp down before self-medication becomes more widespread.
    2. The authorities prosecuting the case are hoping to provoke a change in the legislation.

I believe some women are actually rocking up to police stations and "confessing"... Not sure what the background if here though.

[EDIT] According to the Guardian article she is not one of the women that confesses.

MrP

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    The big huge yokes? They're a regular feature outside the Dáil.

Curious to see what a Gay Man, a man who adopted two children and another man I can't be bothered looking up have to say about compulsory gestation.

That they, without a thought for themselves or a moment of selfishness, will generously campaign to have women do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement