Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I wouldn't worry. The pro-lifers are finished as a political force in Ireland. Look how opposition to divorce and same-sex marriage evaporated completely as soon as those referendums passed.

I would like to think so, but given the lies and underhanded tactics I've seen and experienced over the years, I'll be keeping a weather eye out for a resurgence of their kind of thinking.

It strikes me that they would be at their strongest when people think they are gone away forever.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Of course, why would it be a bad idea?

I'd say you have a limited understanding of human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You think it's a good idea to distribute free condoms in schools and colleges?

What's wrong with that? More contraception is a good thing right?

eviltwin wrote: »
    What's wrong with that? More contraception is a good thing right?

That's a great idea. How come we never thought of it before?

It takes away even more personal responsibility from adolescent boys and it will put more pressure on adolescent girls to perform the most intimate act between two people in such a casual way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I'd say you have a limited understanding of human nature.

So you want more crisis pregnancies requiring more abortions?
    Facts before faith

It takes away even more personal responsibility from adolescent boys and it will put more pressure on adolescent girls to perform the most intimate act between two people in such a casual way.

The above is a clear sign of the inadequacy of church controlled sex ed

The above is a clear sign of the inadequacy of church controlled sex ed

I was wondering how long it would take for the ol Church bashing to start.

You have a low opinion of young people

You have a low opinion of young people

You don't understand what the young male thinks about.

• Advertisement

I was wondering how long it would take for the ol Church bashing to start.

Well when your common sense is overtaken by religious indoctrination what do you expect?

So not pe

Well when your common sense is overtaken by religious indoctrination what do you expect?

I'm not talking about religious indoctrination, I'm talking about human nature.

So not providing contraception is the key? Remind me how that worked out years ago?

So not providing contraception is the key? Remind me how that worked out years ago?

So providing free condoms wherever young adults congregate is a great idea? Do you really believe that?

So providing free condoms wherever young adults congregate is a great idea? Do you really believe that?

Safe sex is better than unsafe sex

What are the benefits of not providing contraception?

Safe sex is better than unsafe sex

Will free condoms not lead to more casual sex? Free condoms in pubs? What a good idea for safe sex.

The only reason the Govt. came up with this idea is that they hope the young people will vote for them

Will free condoms not lead to more casual sex? Free condoms in pubs? What a good idea for safe sex.

Once it's consensual and safe what's the problem?

• Advertisement

Once it's consensual and safe what's the problem?

... and casual

... and casual

And why is that a problem?

... and casual

Are you forgetting how that laundries came about?

Are you forgetting how that laundries came about?

Can you not discuss this without dragging the church into it? This is 2019 after all.

I'm going for a pint now. I wish you a very happy new year.

Can you not discuss this without dragging the church into it? This is 2019 after all.

When you ignore the past you make the same mistakes.
    It is 2019 so why do you base your arguement on the church's view and not that of common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

When you ignore the past you make the same mistakes.
    It is 2019 so why do you base your arguement on the church's view and not that of common sense?

Do you imagine in some way that 2019 undergraduates in Irish 3rd level institutions are enjoying safe casual sex with no consequences of any kind?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Do you imagine in some way that 2019 undergraduates in Irish 3rd level institutions are enjoying safe casual sex with no consequences of any kind?

Who said no consequences to casual sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Megan and Harry were delighted to find she was pregnant... at 13 weeks.

You mean they only worked it out after she missed three periods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Who said no consequences to casual sex?

Your approach to the provision of free contraception is that it’s just common sense. You’ve made that point several times. And you’ve thrown the spectre of the Magdalene laundries as an example of what happens if casual sex isn’t viewed as perfectly natural.
    It’s as if there couldn’t possibly be a middle ground somewhere between families dumping their daughters in the Convent because they had a fumble round the back of the village hall and putting even more pressure on young adults to compromise their self esteem and self respect by making sure that they’re “intercourse ready” with baskets of condoms positioned carefully all over the place.
    I’ve a daughter at WIT and I don’t agree.
    I’m lucky that she and I can have honest discussions about this stuff and I can tell you that the combination of huge amounts of cheap booze and drugs and “no strings attached” sex is destroying the self esteem of both sexes.
    There has to be some way of encouraging them to be the best they can be in a way that allows them to not have so many regrets? Because there appears to be a lot of anguish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement