Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fuddyduddy

volchitsa wrote: »
    I'm not intentionally arguing a straw man, I just genuinely don't understand what point you're trying to make here. What difference does it make that we use one word for the whole of a pregnancy?

SMH, because words having meaning. I'm not forcing anyone to be pregnant; the condition exists independent to my desires. PREGNANCY IS AN ONGOING BIOLOGICAL PROCESS.

I am not forcing a flower to open by not cutting it. The process is acting independently of my desire for the flower. Likewise giving birth is the conclusion of the ongoing process of pregnancy.
    You made a point about people being forced to be born, even though we're all forced to be born, but you completely dismiss the fact that women who don't want to continue a pregnancy are forced to give birth. I've idea what you really mean here and nor, I suspect, do you.

Women who are pregnant aren't being forced to give birth by anyone other than her own body. Her body causes conception and facilitates implantation and then causes her to go into labour. Nothing the government or you or I do forces a woman to give birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,580 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Fuddyduddy wrote: »
    Again, argmentum ad populum doesn't negate the true equivalency of abortion - the taking of an innocent human life - and killing a new born - the taking of a innocent human life. You can argue the circumstances surrounding why it was done, but it doesn't change the reality of the two equivalent actions.

Glad you agree.

No, I am simply saying that legality =/= objective morality. Slavery in the US was legal, and it didn't make in objectively moral. Just because something is democratically elected (or via a constitutional republic) does not mean it is moral.

Yes, Ireland came to a consensus. It doesn't automatically mean the consensus was objectively moral.

I am not making the argument that "you are wrong because I say so"; on the contrary. I explained very clearly why killing an innocent unborn human is no different to killing an innocent born human. The actions are the same. The only difference is surrounding the circumstances behind the justification of taking an innocent human beings life; which abortion does not rationally do.

Another strawman. I never once said abortion is murder. Abortion is only murder when it is illegal. Right now abortion is intentional homicide; but it isn't murder.

The meaning of words is important.

No it isn't, homicide (intentional or not) is illegal and can/does result in a criminal record/imprisonment after a successful conviction in the courts. If abortion was "intentional homicide" as you claim then why are women and doctors not being arrested/charged/convicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If a government outlaws rape; they aren't forcing you not to rape. They are simply saying that if you rape, you will be held accountable for the consequences.

If a government outlaws intentional homicide (murder); they aren't forcing you not to kill. They are simply saying that if you intentionally kill, you will be held accountable for the consequences.

If you take a condition (a biological process) for example. If the government outlaws haircuts; the government isn't forcing your hair to grow (your hair is growing independently of the law; government policy isn't the impetus behind the biological process of hair growth); they are simply saying that if you do cut your hair, you will be held accountable for the consequences.

In order for somebody to force a biological process to occur, they would have to be the impetus behind the biological process itself. Force means: impetus/energy/compulsion to do something.

It is physically impossible for anyone to force pregnancy on someone unless they directly impregnate them, in the same way that I am not "forcing" grass to grow by not cutting it; the grass is growing independently of my intentions or desires for the grass.

What a load of sub-Jesuitical nonsense.

If you campaign to make abortion illegal, you are campaigning to force women to remain pregnant against their will. It's as simple as that. If you find the concept of forcing women to remain pregnant against their will to be troubling, then it indicates you need to rethink your whole position on abortion. But instead you deny the reality of what you are doing in order to make yourself feel better. "Nothing to do with me bud" when actually if you campaign for it it's everything to do with you.

Oh and the post you replied to was three and a half years old :rolleyes:

Slavery EXISTED throughout human history legally; did it make that immoral? Or amoral?

According to the bible slavery is perfectly moral as long as you don't excessively mistreat your slaves... so I hope you don't think there's any sort of "objective" morality in that book of tall tales.
    In both scenarios - abortion - and killing a newborn, an innocent human being's life is being directly taken with intent.

An embryo or foetus with no developed brain or consciousness is not, imho, a human being.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

splinter65 wrote: »
    But there’s been an equal amount of mud slinging and violence from the other side.

Really? How many anti-choice activists in America have been murdered? An equal amount you say? In Ireland what pro-choice activists have engaged in violence? You may not recall it, but I do, in 1983 peaceful anti-8th campaigners were beaten up in the streets of Dublin.

Some minor bullsh!t incident in Canada isn't relevant here.

No it isn't, homicide (intentional or not) is illegal and can/does result in a criminal record/imprisonment after a successful conviction in the courts. If abortion was "intentional homicide" as you claim then why are women and doctors not being arrested/charged/convicted?

This is incorrect. Intentional homicide doesn't mean illegal. Police shootings, lethal self-defence, capital punishment are all forms of legal intentional homicide. It has a very distinct difference to the word "murder".

• Advertisement

What a load of sub-Jesuitical nonsense.

If you campaign to make abortion illegal, you are campaigning to force women to remain pregnant against their will. It's as simple as that. If you find the concept of forcing women to remain pregnant against their will to be troubling, then it indicates you need to rethink your whole position on abortion. But instead you deny the reality of what you are doing in order to make yourself feel better. "Nothing to do with me bud" when actually if you campaign for it it's everything to do with you.

Saying "you're wrong it's as simple as that", isn't an argument.

According to the bible slavery is perfectly moral as long as you don't excessively mistreat your slaves... so I hope you don't think there's any sort of "objective" morality in that book of tall tales.

I'm not religious nor did I argue for a specific religion to determine what is objectively moral or immoral.

Typical strawman.

An embryo or foetus with no developed brain or consciousness is not, imho, a human being.

Your opinion doesn't negate the objective reality of what an unborn human objectively is. It isn't even contested in the medical or scientific community what a fetus is. It is a unborn human being; a member of the species homo sapiens sapiens.

What you are erroneously conflating is the abstract concept of "personhood". There isn't a personhood gene. Instead human worth - the right to exist - is arbitrarily defined along a process of maturation. It is merely opinion. It is impossible to quantify as personhood is an abstract concept that doesn't exist in physical reality.

The problem is the arbitrary putting a pin in it so to speak, is contradictory and can be applied to born humans.

Saying "you're wrong it's as simple as that", isn't an argument.

No, there is an argument but you're ignoring it.
    By campaigning for abortions to be illegal, you are responsible for the consequences of such a law - the consequence being that some women who want abortions will be unable to have one, instead they will be obliged against their wishes to remain pregnant and ultimately give birth.
    Now I don't know about you, but being obliged to do something against my will fits the defintion of 'forced' quite nicely in my opinion.
    I'm not religious nor did I argue for a specific religion to determine what is objectively moral or immoral.

You're asserting that abortion is immoral but providing no basis for that assertion.
    You earlier referred more than once to an objective morality, if you believe that an objective morality can exist then what is the source for it, if it is not your religion?
    Your opinion doesn't negate the objective reality of what an unborn human objectively is. It isn't even contested in the medical or scientific community what a fetus is. It is a unborn human being; a member of the species homo sapiens sapiens.

Ah, the old taxonomy argument again. A potential human being is not yet a human being.
    What you are erroneously conflating

But you said above that 'Saying "you're wrong it's as simple as that", isn't an argument.'
    is the abstract concept of "personhood". There isn't a personhood gene. Instead human worth - the right to exist - is arbitrarily defined along a process of maturation. It is merely opinion. It is impossible to quantify as personhood is an abstract concept that doesn't exist in physical reality.

The problem is the arbitrary putting a pin in it so to speak, is contradictory and can be applied to born humans.

We accept that a person who is brain dead is dead, I don't see why we should accept an entity that has not yet developed any brain activity to be a human being.

No, there is an argument but you're ignoring it.
    By campaigning for abortions to be illegal, you are responsible for the consequences of such a law - the consequence being that some women who want abortions will be unable to have one, instead they will be obliged against their wishes to remain pregnant and ultimately give birth.
    Now I don't know about you, but being obliged to do something against my will fits the defintion of 'forced' quite nicely in my opinion.

This isn't the definition of force ad nauseum.

I was campaigning to keep abortion illegal. This =/= me continually forcing the condition of pregnancy on someone; the ongoing biological process existed independently of the law.

You're asserting that abortion is immoral but providing no basis for that assertion.

I have given you a very strong foundation actually. If we agree that killing innocent human beings is "wrong" under illusory secular morality, then abortion falls into that category.
    You earlier referred more than once to an objective morality, if you believe that an objective morality can exist then what is the source for it, if it is not your religion?

Believing something CAN exist =/= as me saying I believe IT DOES exist. Secondly, you are erroneously conflating theism with deism.

It's possible that it could be objectively right to steal and rape. But in our secular view of morality, in order for it to be universal, it cannot be contradictory. Otherwise is justifies unravelling the entire game.

Ah, the old taxonomy argument again. A potential human being is not yet a human being.

Is this your argument?? How lazy lol.

It is only a potential human being as an individual egg and an individual sperm. The moment it begins along a course of maturation, it is biologically and objectively a new human being.

But you said above that 'Saying "you're wrong it's as simple as that", isn't an argument.'

I didn't do this. I explained very concisely the difference between "personhood" and being a human being.

We accept that a person who is brain dead is dead, I don't see why we should accept an entity that has not yet developed any brain activity to be a human being.

A developing child is already on "life support" from implantation.

The neural plate begins as early as 16 days. If we believed someone would "come out" of a vegetative state in a short period of time, we wouldn't directly kill them.

Which brings me to that point. Abortion isn't simply removing someone from life support, it is actively and intentionally ending their life as a prerequisite to ending the pregnancy.

Unless the brain dead person has their organs removed, they are simply left for their entire biological processes to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yeah, look, this discussion has been had. All aspects of the spect were fully and freely examined. Then we voted on it. The conclusion was clear - a large majority of people who had considered the question have rejected your beliefs.

I don't expect you to change your views just because you lost the debate and the vote, but I do have to say that you going on repeating it ad nauseated is most unlikely to suddenly work when it so completely failed before.

And I am not going to continue to go over the same thing again and again, and actually I think the mods should start to remove this sort of repetitive spamming stuff. That's all it is at this point.

Yeah, look, this discussion has been had. All aspects of the spect were fully and freely examined. Then we voted on it. The conclusion was clear - a large majority of people who had considered the question have rejected your beliefs.

I don't expect you to change your views just because you lost the debate and the vote, but I do have to say that you going on repeating it ad nauseated is most unlikely to suddenly work when it so completely failed before.

And I am not going to continue to go over the same thing again and again, and actually I think the mods should start to remove this sort of repetitive spamming stuff. That's all it is at this point.

I already said I didn't enter this conversation to discuss the immorality of abortion. I left a comment on the use of a word.

And then posters asked me to clarify my position.

I was pro-choice until less than 2 years ago.

You are free to believe anything you wish as well. In our secular world we are simply advocating to enforce our morality onto other people. In this case your side won. I believe establishing law predicated on the notion that human beings "objectively" worthless, is not a good idea.

So let's leave it there. The thread is redundant unless both parties are willing to change their mind (which I always will be).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I think the mods should start to remove this sort of repetitive spamming stuff.
    We're around 30,000 posts into a discussion about a single, broad topic in a discussion lasting since August, 2012.

It's inevitable that some points of view are going to be repeated, so best roll with it I think.

I already said I didn't enter this conversation to discuss the immorality of abortion. I left a comment on the use of a word.

And then posters asked me to clarify my position.

I was pro-choice until less than 2 years ago.

Well, you apparently only joined here last March so I have no idea of the truth of this, but I would actually be interested in hearing why and for how long you were pro choice, what changed your mind on this and how far?
    For instance do you think a raped 12 year old like the girl in NI recently should be forced to stay pregnant. When would you allow someone to have an abortion?
    Should Miss Y have been sedated and force fed as per the HSE's court application and if so, would that be true for any term of pregnancy or just because the baby had got to the UK limits of legal abortion?

Etc.

This is the sort of thing I meant when I said there was no point in you repeating your evidence-free assertions about abortion being wrong : prolifers have said that, and people rejected that. You can keep repeating it, but I'm at a loss as to why. Assuming you actually want to convince others that is.

Whereas discussion of aspects like why someone came to the position they now hold, from their previous opinion, that really does interest me.
    You are free to believe anything you wish as well. In our secular world we are simply advocating to enforce our morality onto other people. In this case your side won. I believe establishing law predicated on the notion that human beings "objectively" worthless, is not a good idea.

So let's leave it there. The thread is redundant unless both parties are willing to change their mind (which I always will be).

As I say, each side repeating their conclusions is utterly pointless at this stage, I agree. But I would genuinely be interested to know, if you changed your mind once, what it would take to change it back.

Well, you apparently only joined here last March so I have no idea of the truth of this

Being part of a message board doesn't define my morality lol
    but I would actually be interested in hearing why and for how long you were pro choice, what changed your mind on this and how far?

I was pro choice up until a couple of years ago. I mean pro-choice until a point. I never advocated the killing of ahuman being that had all organs intact (12 weeks). But the further I thought about the concept of morality, and rights, and what it is to be human, I realised how contradictory and fallacious the arguments I used were. I can argue the pro-choice side very well, but the ultimate conclusion is nihilism; ethical nihilism.
    Ethical nihilism or moral nihilism rejects the possibility of absolute moral or ethical values. Instead, good and evil are nebulous, and values addressing such are the product of nothing more than social and emotive pressures. Existential nihilism is the notion that life has no intrinsic meaning or value, and it is, no doubt, the most commonly used and understood sense of the word today.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

While I might believe this on some level (I'm not entirely sure yet what my beliefs are on transcendence or objective meaning are for example) I wholeheartedly disagree with a society whose laws are predicated on the belief that human beings are objectively worthless. It can logically justify any number of atrocities.

or instance do you think a raped 12 year old like the girl in NI recently should be forced to stay pregnant. When would you allow someone to have an abortion?

I'll have this conversation with you, but per my original comments in this thread I won't answer false premises. She isn't being forced to be pregnant.

Outlawing it is partially preventing her from doing so.

Do I believe that she should be discouraged from doing so? Yes. But read on. Killing one innocent human being in response to the the disgusting and abhorrent immorality of another person's actions is not rational or proportional justice.

Killing someone else to appease suffering is contradictory when you yourself will endeavour to stay alive in spite of suffering. People want to live in spite of cancer, in spite of being an amputee, in spite of horrific burns. Suicidal people dont want to die, they see no other option.

The only time abortion is medically necessary is in a scenario where a mothers life WILL END. In this case then so too will her unborn child's. In a situation where two deaths will inevitably occur, you choose the lesser of two evils where only 1 death results. It is a rational and proportional solution to a moral dilemma.

If the 12 year old's life is directly and certainly at risk of death, then abortion is indicated.

This DOES NOT rationally justify ELECTIVE abortion on healthy babies by healthy mothers.

This is the sort of thing I meant when I said there was no point in you repeating your evidence-free assertions about abortion being wrong : prolifers have said that, and people rejected that. You can keep repeating it, but I'm at a loss as to why. Assuming you actually want to convince others that is. But maybe you don't.

They problem is that when you claim my illusory subjective opinion on morality is "wrong" and then put forward your own illusory subjective opinion on morality; you aren't proving why yours is objectively correct, other than use an appeal to the majority fallacy.

What you are actually doing is proving that there is no such things as "right" and "wrong" objectively speaking. We are operating under a framework of illusory opinions and judgements of value for other human beings by other human beings.

Life is objectively meaningless. Which is completely fine. When law is predicated on this fundamental belief, any number of atrocities can be logically and rationally justified through basic deductive reasoning.

As I say, each side repeating their conclusions is utterly pointless at this stage, I agree. But I would genuinely be interested to know, if you changed your mind once, what it would take to change it back.

It would take proving objective morality; which is impossible. Or proving that the right to life doesn't supersede other rights, which is also an impossibility as how can you have a right to the pursuit of happiness for example when you don't even have the right to physically exist?

No, I'm not saying mine is right, I'm saying it is unclear that yours is right and therefore abortion, like divorce or contraception, has to be considered as something that falls to a large extent within the domain of personal morality and even personal opinion.

Your belief that it would one wrong for you to have an abortion is absolutely fine, my objection is to your claim that that makes it acceptable for you to tell someone else whether they should have one or not.

So no, I'm not arguing from a nihilistic point of view, I do believe that there are things that are objectively right or wrong. I suggested as much above, when I mentioned theft. I'd add child sex abuse and a number of other things. I just don't believe that abortion is one of them.

For various reasons, but mainly because a ban on abortion requires removing some of a woman's rights. I have no issue with someone giving a fetus all the rights they want. Ido have a problem with any of these rights ever taking priority over a woman's right not to be pregnant if she decides she doesn't want to be.

By the way, I don't think there is any right to pursue happiness, it's a silly aspirational clause which means nothing. And I've no idea why you bring it up on an Irish Internet forum either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

You're already in that situation when you're pregnant, you cant be re-forced into something that already exists. It's not like you are enslaved, escaped, and then are forced back into slavery.

These kinds of arguments just highlight that the abortion advocate side fundamentally don't even begin to understand the pro-life position AT ALL.

Is it my business if you neglect your 2 year old?

Is it the person's business who lives two counties over that you drowned your 5 year old?

Is it anyone else's business if you kill your neighbour?

None of the above directly affect you. You were not involved. It has no direct bearing on your life.

The law exists to (is supposed to) hold everyone accountable for the their actions.

Abortion isn't "treatment". It is the ending of an innocent human life. It is only medically necessary when the mother's life will end otherwise. In which case you have a case of 2 deaths vs 1, and the rational thing is to take the lesser of two evils.

Why bring slavery into it? I never mentioned that. I said it was forcing some one to REMAIN pregnant.

Comparing the neglect of a child is not the same as abortion. Not in the same league at all. If a child is being neglected and you know about it, of course you intervene. Abortion is not the neglect of a child. While you're so big into definitions, maybe you want to look up the definition of child ;)

Again, the drowning of a five year old is not the same of abortion. See above re definition of a child.

For the third time, my neighbour is a living person (presuming you mean adult). Killing an adult is not the same as abortion. Look up the meaning of adult.

To kill a living person is against the law. That is not what abortion is. And it is medical treatment. Women present themselves at a hospital or clinic to be treated medically. It is not up to you to decide for a woman what treatment is appropriate for her, or whether she should stay pregnant. This has been pointed out so many times, but for some reason it gets ignored, or compared to killing children or neighbours.

If you don't agree with abortion, don't have one. But don't expect everyone to have the same beliefs or agendas as you.

No, I'm not saying mine is right, I'm saying it is unclear that yours is right and therefore abortion, like divorce or contraception, has to be considered as something that falls to a large extent within the domain of personal morality and even personal opinion.

Ending another innocent person's life under universal law doesn't fall into the domain of personal morality. This is fallacious. I cannot kill my 2 year old because she is a burden on me financially and physically through my labour.
    Your belief that it would one wrong for you to have an abortion is absolutely fine, my objection is to your claim that that makes it acceptable for you to tell someone else whether they should have one or not.

This is another fallacy. What do you think laws do? They enforce morality derived from the will of the people. If the law says there will be consequences if you rape is a perfectly acceptable and rational imposition of morality as there is another person involved. Having a polyp removed isn't the same thing as ending an innocent unwanted human beings life.
    So no, I'm not arguing from a nihilistic point of view, I do believe that there are things that are objectively right or wrong. I suggested as much above, when I mentioned theft. I'd add child sex abuse and a number of other things. I just don't believe that abortion is one of them.

With all due respect, I don't believe you understand what the definition of objective is. In order for something to be objective, or absolute, is has to exist in and of itself outside of human perception or cognitive bias. It cannot be illusory (existing in the mind; not in reality). If you merely hold the opinion that something is "wrong", that is fine. Your opinion is subjective. The very existence of millions of people who disagree with your morality; people who believe it is okay to rape, murder innocent people, steal etc. negate your understanding of "Objective" morality.

Morality is merely a battle of opinions in this worldview. There is no ontological or metaphysical arbiter to define "right" and "right"; so it is merely subjective opinion.

I repeat, on the definition of nihilism, you are an ethical nihilst. You don't believe in a metaphysically existing "right" or "wrong". If you did you would be believing in something no different to God.
    For various reasons, but mainly because a ban on abortion requires removing some of a woman's rights. I have no issue with someone giving a fetus all the rights they want. Ido have a problem with any of these rights ever taking priority over a woman's right not to be pregnant if she decides she doesn't want to be.

It is not a woman's right to kill an innocent human being, especially not her own child.

If society has a moral obligation to take care of that child after birth (either through social services or the mother directly), then there is no logical reason that that same moral obligation doesn't exist in the womb.

The child only exists as a result of the actions of the parent/parents. They exist through no fault of their own.
    By the way, I don't think there is any right to pursue happiness, it's a silly aspirational clause which means nothing. And I've no idea why you bring it up on an Irish Internet forum either.

Fair enough. I meant more so the pursuit to map out one's life free from infringement. We all have that right, unless our rights compete with other people's rights. The geographical location of the forum doesn't matter when discussing morality and rights. Rights are either "inalienable" and exist independent of the law. Or they are merely privileges afforded to us by other men and upheld by way of violence (law enforcement)>

Rights exist in a hierarchy.

For example I cannot kill you for blocking my path. I have a right to freely move my body, but taking your life for impeding my right is disproportionate and irrational.

Likewise we have a "right" to bodily autonomy. However this is impeded all the time in society when placed against other rights.

Example if we get placed in prison, body cavity searches, forced vaccinations on children (which I am fine with), retraining someone from hurting themselves of anyone else; all of which violate bodily autonomy.

The right to life supersedes bodily autonomy. It is disproportionate and irrational to kill an innocent human being for temporary infringement of your bodily autonomy; especially in cases where it is self-inflicted (99.5+% of pregnancies are through consensual sex)

Abortion is not the neglect of a child. While you're so big into definitions, maybe you want to look up the definition of child ;)

No, you might want to.

I will give you the modern day definition of "Child"; from both an America and British Dictionary, and I will also explain the etymology of the word for further clarification.

The word "child" comes from the Old English "ċild", which meant "fetus" or more appropriately "female fetus".

The modern day definition of child means any human below the age of puberty, born and unborn.

NesYK6G.jpg
    For the third time, my neighbour is a living person (presuming you mean adult). Killing an adult is not the same as abortion. Look up the meaning of adult.

To kill a living person is against the law. That is not what abortion is. And it is medical treatment.

No you are wrong on every level.

Killing is scientifically - and by every definition - the ending of a life. This can be as simple as single cell death or killing bacteria.

Killing people is not against the law. You can kill in self-defence, lethal force by police is legal when indicated. Intentional homicide is NOT the same as murder (murder is illegal by definition).

No, you might want to.

I will give you the modern day definition of "Child"; from both an America and British Dictionary, and I will also explain the etymology of the word for further clarification.

The word "child" comes from the Old English "ċild", which meant "fetus" or more appropriately "female fetus".

The modern day definition of child means any human below the age of puberty, born and unborn.

No you are wrong on every level.

Killing is scientifically - and by every definition - the ending of a life. This can be as simple as single cell death or killing bacteria.

Killing people is not against the law. You can kill in self-defence, lethal force by police is legal when indicated. Intentional homicide is NOT the same as murder (murder is illegal by definition).

Definition of a child:-
    child [chīld]
    the human young, from infancy to puberty.

^^ see above medical definition of a child.

Killing my neighbour is not the same as abortion. Killing a person, such as my neighbour, is not the same as abortion.

Definition of a child:-
    child [chīld]
    the human young, from infancy to puberty.

^^ see above medical definition of a child.

Killing my neighbour is not the same as abortion. Killing a person, such as my neighbour, is not the same as abortion.

LOL

You just focused on one description of the definition. The entire encompassing definition - etymologically AND in both US and British dictionaries IS unborn AND born.

Cherry-picking your definition is intellectually dishonest.

Secondly; here is the medical definition from a medical dictionary, including and not limited to born and unborn.
    DwTbNAl.jpg

As for your second point.. smh. This is the ENTIRE debate surrounding abortion. You are debating the definition of the abstract concept of personhood.

There is no "personhood" gene. It is not a physical reality that can be quantified or examined in isolation in a lab in order to objectively define what it is.

In YOUR opinion the unborn child is not a "person" worthy of the right to life. The only non-contradictory definition is to begin when that human being's life began on a trajectory of maturation; conception, implantation on wards.

An adult isn't a teenager, a teenager isn't an infant, an infant isn't a fetus and a fetus isn't an embryo. But they are ALL the same human being from the moment they exist until death.

You are choosing an arbitrary point along development to attach subjective and illusory worth onto another human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

An adult isn't a teenager, a teenager isn't an infant, an infant isn't a fetus and a fetus isn't an embryo. But they are ALL the same human being from the moment they exist until death.

You are choosing an arbitrary point along development to attach subjective and illusory worth onto another human being.
    And at what point does this happen exactly?
    And why that point?

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    And at what point does this happen exactly?
    And why that point?

Personhood?

Conception, by virtue of being a human being of the species homo sapiens sapiens.

A human being is an organism with the gene expression for development from conception to death. A zygote stem cell is unique from other somatic cells.

It's like asking when a seed becomes a seed; when the genetic information combines to to

Personhood?

Conception, by virtue of being a human being of the species homo sapiens sapiens.

A human being is an organism with the gene expression for development from conception to death. A zygote stem cell is unique from other somatic cells.

It's like asking when a seed becomes a seed; when the genetic information combines to to
    But why there?
    What differentiates a fertilised egg from sperm and unfertilised eggs?

Is it simply that it's a cell with all the right genes?

And as an additional point, do you believe that from the moment of conception that such a fertilised egg is the same as an infant, with all the rights and protections of such?
    If so, when the fertilised egg fails to implant and doesn't continue to develop, should that be treated as a potential homocide? If not, why not?

LOL

You just focused on one description of the definition. The entire encompassing definition - etymologically AND in both US and British dictionaries IS unborn AND born.

Cherry-picking your definition is intellectually dishonest.

Secondly; here is the medical definition from a medical dictionary, including and not limited to born and unborn.

As for your second point.. smh. This is the ENTIRE debate surrounding abortion. You are debating the definition of the abstract concept of personhood.

There is no "personhood" gene. It is not a physical reality that can be quantified or examined in isolation in a lab in order to objectively define what it is.

In YOUR opinion the unborn child is not a "person" worthy of the right to life. The only non-contradictory definition is to begin when that human being's life began on a trajectory of maturation; conception, implantation on wards.

Ah here, I'm not cherry picking or choosing anything. It's the pro life side trying to stick value on to things when it suits them. Unless you've been to the funeral of a 9 week old embryo.

King Mob wrote: »
    But why there?
    What differentiates a fertilised egg from sperm and unfertilised eggs?

Is it simply that it's a cell with all the right genes?

And as an additional point, do you believe that from the moment of conception that such a fertilised egg is the same as an infant, with all the rights and protections of such?
    If so, when the fertilised egg fails to implant and doesn't continue to develop, should that be treated as a potential homocide? If not, why not?

A sperm cell is a haploid cell with half the genetic information required to be a human being. An oocyte is the same. A zygote is a diploid cell that possesses all of the gene expression to development from that moment until death. The human genome is unique to that organism as a complete human being.

They have the same right to life yes.

Intentional is not comparable with spontaneous miscarriage or a spontaneous heart attack. Just because someone dies doesn't mean it was someone else's fault.

The mother's body welcomes and facilitates implantation. Once implantation occurs the only way to cease pregnancy is by directly killing the human.
    The endometrium is one of the few uterine surfaces to which a blastocyst cannot always implant. The properties of the endometrium change, and only in a brief window can the blastocyst implant on the tissue.

In humans, that window includes days six through ten after ovulation.

Just prior to ovulation, the endometrium begins to thicken and to expand in response to the release of estrogen from the ovaries.

As the embryo moves through the fallopian tubes, the endometrium proliferates, changes in shape, becomes receptive to implantation, and produces a hospitable environment for the embryo. Signaled by the release of progesterone from the ovaries, a series of changes called decidualization occurs.

Decidualization includes the gathering of white blood cells around endometrial arterioles, or blood vessels leading from arteries to capillary beds. As that vasculature forms, a molecule that stores energy, called glycogen, accumulates in the expanding connective tissues of the uterus.

Furthermore, the endometrium swells as interstitial fluid accumulates in it. The endometrium, swollen with interstitial fluid, vasculature, and nutrients, provides a hospitable environment for embryogenesis.

https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/process-implantation-embryos-primates

Ah here, I'm not cherry picking or choosing anything. It's the pro life side trying to stick value on to things when it suits them. Unless you've been to the funeral of a 9 week old embryo.

Is this supposed to be a serious argument? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

If you don't like the law, why don't you leave?

Is this supposed to be a serious argument? LOL

Am I supposed to be offended by that? :pac:

A sperm cell is a haploid cell with half the genetic information required to be a human being. An oocyte is the same. A zygote is a diploid cell that possesses all of the gene expression to development from that moment until death. The human genome is unique to that organism as a complete human being.

Intentional is not comparable with spontaneous miscarriage or a spontaneous heart attack. Just because someone dies doesn't mean it was someone else's fault.
    But you said they have the same right to life. Why would you treat their death differently?
    Why not investigate it as a potential case of murder or child endangerment?
    As, by your definition, that's what it would be.

You guys make these grand proclamations about life, but you tend to run away when the practicalities are asked about.

End of the road was faced with this exact problem and ran away from the point.
    If he'd like to actually rejoin the discussion and address it now...

The mother's body welcomes and facilitates implantation. Once implantation occurs the only way to cease pregnancy is by directly killing the human.

https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/process-implantation-embryos-primates

What's with the anthropomorphism? If a woman becomes pregnant after a rape, would you really think to tell her that her body "welcomed and facilitated" the pregnancy?

What does that even mean? How does a body "welcome" something that the person herself clearly finds to be not just unwelcome but a violent invasion of her body? Is she wrong?

• Advertisement

What's with the anthropomorphism? If a woman becomes pregnant after a rape, would you really think to tell her that her body "welcomed and facilitated" the pregnancy?

What does that even mean? How does a body "welcome" something that the person herself clearly finds to be not just unwelcome but a violent invasion of her body? Is she wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Akin#Controversial_comments_on_%22legitimate_rape%22_and_pregnancy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement