Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

100cent wrote: »
    At the moment you stay in Ireland and deliver your baby or travel abroad to access an abortion.

And you're cool with people being allowed to have abortions as long as they don't do it here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭100cent

robdonn wrote: »
    We should take into account the quality of life that a child would have before bringing it into the world.

Crystal Ball gazing? Is this the mystic meg section of Boards.ie or am I still in Atheism? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

At the moment you stay in Ireland and deliver your baby or travel abroad to access an abortion.

And how far should the state go to protect unborn babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

In other words, the status quo.

lazygal wrote: »
    No. Abortion services should be a matter for medics and pregnant women. I've no interest in why someone wants an abortion.

So at 35 weeks you decide you don't want to be pregnant anymore. An economic decision. Lets say you've lost your job.

You'd want to have access to a facility that would end the life of your baby at 35 weeks in the womb?

• Advertisement

Abortion for those who can afford it, compulsory gestation for everyone else.

And you're cool with people being allowed to have abortions as long as they don't do it here?

Thats the situation as things stand. Am I happy women travel for abortions? No. Am I happy Ireland has made a stand against abortion? Yes.

Pretty much.

Crystal Ball gazing? Is this the mystic meg section of Boards.ie or am I still in Atheism? ;)

Whoops, sorry, forgot that Fatal Foetal Abnormalities don't exist. Forgot that alcoholic mothers don't tend to have kids with foetal alcohol syndrome. Forgot that junkies don't tend to pass on their drug addictions to their unborn children.

I'm being quite the silly today!

So at 35 weeks you decide you don't want to be pregnant anymore. An economic decision. Lets say you've lost your job.

You'd want to have access to a facility that would end the life of your baby at 35 weeks in the womb?

No, in cases of viability the baby could be delivered and treated appropriately. Why do you care why someone wants an abortion at any stage of pregnancy?

• Advertisement

Thats the situation as things stand. Am I happy women travel for abortions? No. Am I happy Ireland has made a stand against abortion? Yes.

Ireland's stand is that its ok to kill unborn babies elsewhere, or here if your life is at risk. What kind of a stand against abortion is that?

No, in cases of viability the baby could be delivered and treated appropriately. Why do you care why someone wants an abortion at any stage of pregnancy?

Thats a massive qualification you've just made there, but a welcome one it has to be said.

I care, its how it is.

Thats a massive qualification you've just made there, but a welcome one it has to be said.

I care, its how it is.

So maybe you could tell me how far the state should go to prevent me from having an abortion?

Ireland's stand is that its ok to kill unborn babies elsewhere, or here if your life is at risk. What kind of a stand against abortion is that?

An imperfect one, but I am human. I have many failings.

Hmm, but I thought:
    I'm more than happy with the current legal situation that is in place.

That same legal situation not only allows women to travel to have abortions elsewhere, it explicitly excuses them. But if you're happy with that then cool.

So maybe you could tell me how far the state should go to prevent me from having an abortion?

The law makes is a criminal offence to intentionally take unborn life in this country. Its in the Statute Books.

The law makes is a criminal offence to intentionally take unborn life in this country. Its in the Statute Books.

So how should the state vindicate and protect the rights of the unborn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As you said yourself earlier what good does that do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Why 'can't she have a child'?

Health/finances/other....its fairly irrelevant.

And is punishable with up to 14 years in prison, which you are or are not ok with?

• Advertisement

Hmm, but I thought:

That same legal situation not only allows women to travel to have abortions elsewhere, it explicitly excuses them. But if you're happy with that then cool.

I'm happy that Ireland is making a stand against the Liberal group think that wishes to normalise a abortion regime.

So how should the state vindicate and protect the rights of the unborn?

By making intentional taking of unborn life a criminal offence.

I'm happy that Ireland is making a stand against the Liberal group think that wishes to normalise a abortion regime.

Oh, we've come full circle. :)

So this is no longer true?

eviltwin wrote: »
    As you said yourself earlier what good does that do?

Unborn babies are safe from abortion chambers in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is it less deplorable if it happens in the UK or something? I don't understand why it's only an issue when it's happening here.

Lurkio wrote: »
    Health/finances/other....its fairly irrelevant.

Since when do 'finances' mean anyone can't get pregnant?

You'll have to expand on that one.

But they aren't. Women regularly take abortion pills at home in Ireland.

Oh, we've come full circle. :)

So this is no longer true?

Its perfectly true. Maybe take a minute and think about it. :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    Is it less deplorable if it happens in the UK or something? I don't understand why it's only an issue when it's happening here.

What can I do about foreign countries' laws?

• Advertisement

Its perfectly true. Maybe take a minute and think about it. :)

OK.... yup, thought about it. Still seems to mean that you're "more than happy" with the law allowing Irish women to go murder their babies somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement