Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭100cent

robdonn wrote: »
    Even if that life will only last 30 minutes and involve severe suffering from birth to death?

Some would clearly deny that baby the right to its place on this Earth. I would not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

100cent wrote: »
    Some would clearly deny that baby the right to its place on this Earth. I would not.
    Nice non-answer. Just to clarify, in circumstances where the foetus has abnormalities which are not compatible with life, in other words, it will die at or shortly after birth and will potenitally know only pain and suffering, you prefer that to an abortion where there will be no suffering.

TL:DR. You prefer babies to exist for a short period of time knowing only pain than to be aborted and not suffer?

MrP

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yes.

They are ignoring the Human Right to life of that child in the womb.

Beyond inflicting pain and suffering on both the woman and child, what purpose is served by such a stance?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I would agree that babies have a right to life on this earth, absolutely! However a foetus should have whatever rights the owner of the uterus they must inhabit to survive, chooses to give it.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Nice non-answer. Just to clarify, in circumstances where the foetus has abnormalities which are not compatible with life, in other words, it will die at or shortly after birth and will potenitally know only pain and suffering, you prefer that to an abortion where there will be no suffering.

TL:DR. You prefer babies to exist for a short period of time knowing only pain than to be aborted and not suffer?

MrP

Many people have suffered physically and emotionally for many years on this Earth. Myself included.

Despite my own suffering I am eternally grateful to God and my parents for my chance at life.

Whether we're here for an hour or a century, we are all unique individuals, deserving of our chance at life.

I would deny no one that chance you and I have been blessed to have been given.

• Advertisement

Delirium wrote: »
    Beyond inflicting pain and suffering on both the woman and child, what purpose is served by such a stance?

I refer you to my previous post.

For me it covers your question.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I would agree that babies have a right to life on this earth, absolutely! However a foetus should have whatever rights the owner of the uterus they must inhabit to survive, chooses to give it.

I completely disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Many people have suffered physically and emotionally for many years on this Earth. Myself included.

Despite my own suffering I am eternally grateful to God and my parents for my chance at life.

Whether we're here for an hour or a century, we are all unique individuals, deserving of our chance at life.

I would deny no one that chance you and I have been blessed to have been given.

So quality of life means nothing?

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I refer you to my previous post.

For me it covers your question.

But the child never had a chance at life due to the severe fatal abornomality.

At best it could be described as a chance at suffering.

If you can read this, you're too close!

So quality of life means nothing?

We should do all in our power to make those precious hours these babies have as comfortable as possible.

Perinatal Hospice care is truly excellent in this country as I know from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

What do those who believe the UK has liberal abortion at the moment think of it's Midwives Union (the Royal College of Midwives) chief call for a scrapping of the time limit on abortions there?

aloyisious wrote: »
    What do those who believe the UK has liberal abortion at the moment think of it's Midwives Union (the Royal College of Midwives) chief call for a scrapping of the time limit on abortions there?

A very scary development.

I completely disagree.

Yes we do completely disagree. I'm fine with that, and whatever way you would deal with your body/pregnancy/foetus is up to you (if you are a woman), I would never assume that it's my place to attempt to interfere with that. The difference is that you would like my choices in pregnancy to be enforced by law according to your personal beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We should do all in our power to make those precious hours these babies have as comfortable as possible.

Perinatal Hospice care is truly excellent in this country as I know from experience.

What exactly do perinatal hospices do? Where are they located? What is the difference between perinatal hospices and maternity hospitals?

A very scary development.

Do you think the present practice in our republic of Irish women going abroad for abortions denied them here is being used by our lawmakers as a convenient way to avoid the Pro-life and Pro-choice groups demands on the Irish abortion legislation front?

Yes we do completely disagree. I'm fine with that, and whatever way you would deal with your body/pregnancy/foetus is up to you (if you are a woman), I would never assume that it's my place to attempt to interfere with that. The difference is that you would like my choices in pregnancy to be enforced by law according to your personal beliefs.

All I ask is that no intentional harm is done to any human life, inside or outside of the womb.

lazygal wrote: »
    What exactly do perinatal hospices do? Where are they located? What is the difference between perinatal hospices and maternity hospitals?

The perinatal service is provided in the Maternity Hospital of course.

A wonderful service it is too.

Do you think the present practice in our republic of Irish women going abroad for abortions denied them here is being used by our lawmakers as a convenient way to avoid the Pro-life and Pro-choice groups demands on the Irish abortion legislation front?

I have no idea.

I am very content with our legislation as it currently stands.

All I ask is that no intentional harm is done to any human life, inside or outside of the womb.

My womb and the contents of it, is not really your business though is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The perinatal service is provided in the Maternity Hospital of course.

A wonderful service it is too.

How do you know what level of service it offers? Do you work there?

• Advertisement

My womb and the contents of it, is not really your business though is it?

It is when a crime is being committed and an innocent baby is being harmed.

eviltwin wrote: »
    How do you know what level of service it offers? Do you work there?

I'm respectfully declining to go into my personal contact with the service.

I'm respectfully declining to go into my personal contact with the service.

Okay that's fair enough. Can you at least tell us the hospital its located in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

It is when a crime is being committed and an innocent baby is being harmed.

What about the crime of the woman being forced to use her body to sustain another life against her will, breaking a number of her rights including her right to bodily autonomy?

Okay that's fair enough. Can you at least tell us the hospital its located in?

Why do you continue to fish?

If your question is genuine, google it and you ill learn quite a lot.

What about the crime of the woman being forced to sustain another life against her will, breaking a number of her rights including her right to bodily autonomy?

Where is that in the Statute Books?

Why do you continue to fish?

If your question is genuine, google it and you ill learn quite a lot.

I'm not asking for rafts of information, just a name. I wonder why you are suddenly being so coy :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for rafts of information, just a name. I wonder why you are suddenly being so coy :rolleyes:

Here we go.

We're not the masters of our own universe. A lot of times nature doesn't give us much choice, sometimes damn little, when it comes to life and birth. That's why we have laws governing our response to events/incidents. Life is a force majeure and forces us to adapt our actions & thinking to it, even if we do not want to have blood on our hands.

• Advertisement

We're not the masters of our own universe. A lot of times nature doesn't give us much choice, sometimes damn little, when it comes to life and birth. That's why we have laws governing our response to events/incidents. Life is a force majeure and forces us to adapt our actions & thinking to it, even if we do not want to have blood on our hands.

I agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement