Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crosby Stills and Nash (BGE 17-09-15)

Options
  • 17-09-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Can't believe that there is no thread anywhere on this - the 1st great supergroup, some of the originators of the California Canyon sound, former members of two of the greatest groups of all-time (Stills_Buffalo Springfield; Crosby_The Byrds, sorry Graham, you're great but the Hollies are more of a Championship team-no offence!).

Anyway, gig last night was fantastic - to hear those 3-part harmonies would give you goosebumps!

Crosby - you legend! considering the past history, he looks in great shape, and his voice is still amazing - loved the crack when his guitar belt slipped off, roadie helped him fix it "Thank you Mommy"; roadie pats him on the arm, and he says "that's considered elder abuse!" - Guinevere was amazing, as was Long Time Gone

Nash - great host, nice bit of banter in between, got the crowd singing to "Our House"/"Teach Your Children"; again amazing voice

Stills - didn't speak much, sounded like he may have had a cold or something like that, but he nursed his voice through, and gave it everything for the 2nd half of the show. Loved "Carry-On"

Band - Superb top quality band, can't remember all the names except Kevin (McLaughlin??) on bass from Dublin; and Shane on guitar - superb playing supporting CSN perfectly

We were treated to what I think was 4 new songs, from forthcoming solo albums, all excellent, Nash dedicated his song/ his song was about Levon Helm

SetList - not exhaustive, and not in order, and if I've made errors_mea culpa!,

Carry On
    Helplessly Hoping
    Our House
    Marrakesh Express
    Southern Cross
    Guinnevere
    Long Time Gone
    Almost Cut My Hair
    Critical Mass/Wind on the Water
    Chicago
    Deja Vu
    +4 new ones

Encore:-
    Teach Your Children
    Wooden Ships
    Suite:-Judy Blue Eyes

Have to say that Stephen Stills was fantastic on Suite:-Judy Blue Eyes,

They got I think 4 standing ovations, and I mean full house standing ovations - I think this tells you how good they were!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

didn't even know they were playing! have a friend who would be a big fan and haven't heard them mention anything about it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

Gutted I missed that. Didn't even know they were playing somehow... Seen them many times and they always put on an amazing show!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It was my third time seeing the three of them together, and they are never disappointing. Stills was in great form. He seems to have lost a bit of weight (no, seriously) and his playing was excellent. He's had that raspy voice for years now, but it adds character. Nash is always very engaging in his role as the master of ceremonies, and just to see Crosby on stage is a pleasure. It was also a rare occasion where the new songs were treated with the utmost respect, and - especially in Crosby's case - given a rapturous response. Superb stuff.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭secondattempt

Missed them this time. Saw them the last twice they visited though.

Crosby seems to be on excellent form these days and brought out a great album a year or so ago. Stills has serious hearing problems which can make him a bit of a weak link.

As for the OPs Hollies remark! Still criminaly under rated and had more hits than Byrds, Buffalo and CSN combined. Hardly championship but premier league!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dabog

Holy moley I'm raging I didn't know about this one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement