Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite PS3 games? Big ones and the gems

Options
  • 17-09-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So a friend of mine got a free ps3 today and he was asking me what games to get, he loved re4 (which I got him to finally play on his ps2 over the summer, I'm also now getting his slim ps2 :)) so along those type of games. I told him to pick up:

Dead Space 1&2
    Bioshock 1&2
    Half Life Orange Box
    Metro Last light
    Evil Within

to start him off.

But then I thought is there any other stellar games along the lines of these that I or most people would have missed out on over the ps3 lifetime?

Totally have a craving to play Dead Space 1 tonight.

But yeah, any gems out there I should really know about?

Not into COD or any of that ****e :)

EDIT: he played TLoU on his housemates ps3 last year so that's well covered. And he ordered re5 and sonic generations cause he's a mega Sega fanboy.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Uncharted is a must play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Uncharted is a must play.

Oh God how did I forget Uncharted! Loved them all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Some of the Devil May Cry games are brill aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The atelier series of games are for me the best JRPGs on the system. They are criminally ignored and underrated but I just love them and how laid back they are.

Nier is excellent as well. Ignore the reviews. It does have some problems but it's a very interesting game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Demon's Souls.
    Game of the generation, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Demons, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2
    Dragons Dogma

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The atelier series of games are for me the best JRPGs on the system. They are criminally ignored and underrated but I just love them and how laid back they are.

Nier is excellent as well. Ignore the reviews. It does have some problems but it's a very interesting game.

I don't think my mate has any time for RPG's tbh. I don't much either but I will have a look into the series. I remember Nier, never played it so will add to my list, thanks Retr0!

Demons,
    Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2
    Dragons Dogma

Same as above, might be a bit too hard-core for him. I have Bloodborne, started it, never went back though. Must fire it up again.

I gave one of my mates a crash course in Dark Souls and sent him off with it. He said he only played it because I asked him to, and after three days he was hooked.

Worth a show, buy and sell second hand, shouldn't lose any money if he doesn't like it.

Dragons Dogma isn't hardcore like Souls, it is an RPG but he may like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If he's into his horror games, he could check out Resident Evil Revelations and Siren: Blood Curse. He could probably hold off and get them cheap in the Halloween Sale in the PS Store.

Also:

Singularity
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Mirror's Edge
    Portal 2
    Max Payne 3
    Alien Isolation
    Journey
    Sleeping Dogs
    Infamous games.

Demons, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2
    Dragons Dogma

Also, which one of these games would be best for a beginner? For me, I mean :)

• Advertisement

Also, which one of these games would be best for a beginner? For me, I mean :)

Dark Souls

As above, Dragons Dogma is totally different to Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

F1ngers wrote: »
    Demon's Souls.
    Game of the generation, imo.

Very very very difficult to disagree with you there, but.........Journey requests a recount.

OP, you should search for the nominations list for PS3 Game of the generation on Boards.ie - I think I feel that I recollect that I remember that it was a really good list (I am sure it existed).

Others of note (OP, I may be misunderstanding your term 'along the line of these' somewhat)

Alien Isolation
    Brothers: A Tale of two sons
    Journey
    Vanquish
    Hohokum
    Thomas was Alone
    Hotline Miami
    Journey
    Dragons Dogma
    Darksiders
    Borderlands games
    Infamous
    Deus Ex: HR
    Super Stardust HD
    Tokyo Jungle
    Rayman Origins
    Journey
    Unfinished Swan
    Limbo
    Journey
    HD Collections - Ico/ SotC; God of War.
    Journey
    Journey

Beware of the Orange Box, I remember some on here have said it is not great on PS3. BTW, Dead Space 1 is good; 2 is OK. Bioshock 1 is good, 2 is OK (unless you play 2 first then reverse the games and comments). Uncharted is good, Uncharted 2 is great. Check if Valiant Hearts is on PS3.

A great time to get a PS3.

mrm wrote: »
    Check if Valiant Hearts is on PS3.

It is. Got it at Christmas. Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paulo84

for me, Wipeout HD. one of the few PS3 games that actually displays at 1080p/60fps iirc. Also, 900 km/h+ with a realistic physics engine. Pretty sure they secretly use it to recruit fighter pilots... :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 GG88

Modern warfare 2 or fifa 13 were my 2 favourite games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Can't believe no mention of Heavy Rain, great game and very different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jayisplay

I was just about to say heavy rain , very good game also bioshock infinite and far cry 3.

Jayisplay wrote: »
    I was just about to say heavy rain , very good game also bioshock infinite and far cry 3.

I was actually looking at heavy rain in CEX at the weekend. Should have picked it up!

I've pasted on a few on these games mentioned above to my mate (except Fifa). He picked up uncharted 2 after me bugging him all week about it. He started it last night and is well pleased with it.

I'll remind him when I see him that there is usually a Halloween sale on psn.

He played unfinished swan there too. €12.99! I've played it, it's deffo not worth that much, maybe a 5r.

He's really not interested in open world or j/RPG's tbh. More linear game play. So far cry 3 or gta etc, he has not much interest. Maybe in a year's time.

Tried to get him to pick up Journey of course ;)

Thanks for all the recomemdations!

On a side note, I did pick up Dead Space and Bioshock trilogy from psn at the start of the summer, €15 each at the time I think. Those games are some that I would never, ever, trade in. Loved them.

EDIT: clearly I traded in my disc copies after I got the trilogys :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heavy Rain is worth a play, it's interesting but ultimately a big disappointment since the much vaunted writing and story are ultimately terrible. Worth it though if the price is cheap.

I'd avoid Beyond Two Souls though. It's everything wrong with Heavy Rain but a much less interesting game overall. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's terrible. I did get some fun out of it in co-op mode but that was mostly me and my girlfriend laughing at how bad the whole thing was.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Heavy Rain is worth a play, it's interesting but ultimately a big disappointment since the much vaunted writing and story are ultimately terrible. Worth it though if the price is cheap.

I'd avoid Beyond Two Souls though. It's everything wrong with Heavy Rain but a much less interesting game overall. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's terrible. I did get some fun out of it in co-op mode but that was mostly me and my girlfriend laughing at how bad the whole thing was.

Don't know about that, I played throught Beyond last year and I loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Valkryia Chronicles and Catherine are two must plays imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Hi All

I've been away from gaming for a good few years and recently recieved a PS3 which has piqued my interest into getting back into something I have previously enjoyed and was wondering if ye all could recommend some decent PS3 games.

I am happy to try most games with the exception of RPGs and simulation games. For some reason I can never take to them!

Cheers for any games you can recommend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow where to begin! So much choice.

GTA V
    Any of the Batman Arkham series
    Alien Isolation
    Unchartered Series
    Mass Effect 3
    Bioshock
    Journey

Say goodbye to your social life! :)

faceman wrote: »
    Wow where to begin! So much choice.

GTA V
    Any of the Batman Arkham series
    Alien Isolation
    Unchartered Series
    Mass Effect 3
    Bioshock
    Journey

Say goodbye to your social life! :)

I've played the first Uncharted. Are the others similar?

Antibac wrote: »
    I've played the first Uncharted. Are the others similar?

In the same vein but they are much, much better.

In the same vein but they are much, much better.

Cheers I think that's a good place to start and then on to Batman!

I'd play the Last of Us as well. It's by Naughty Dog, who made Uncharted, and it's considered by many to be one of the best games of the last generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Re. Batman, definitely prioritise Arkham Asylum over Arkham City. I found it to be a much better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

In addition to the above....

Flower - its like meditation but a game.

Rainbow six Vegas is a first person shooter but has great corner cover and a fun tactical element when it comes to breaching a room full of baddies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

I've got a few

Catherine
    WWE 2K14
    Call Of Duty World At War
    Puppeteer
    Lone Survivor
    Deadly Premonition (Avoid the Directors Cut, runs like crap)

Advertisement