Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Transport & Insurance Question

Options
  • 17-09-2015 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi,

I am thinking of getting some form of Horse Transport for 2 Horses.

I was either going to go down the road of getting an old Landcruiser/Land Rover and an old Horse Trailer to begin with (I wont be using the 4x4 as an everyday vehicle - just once/twice a week to go to lessons and competitions)

or I was thinking of getting an old 7.5T Truck with Living.

or alternatively a 3.5T Horsetruck (which I wont need a test for but are so so expensive!!)

Does anyone have any idea which is the most cost effective method of transport particularly in terms of Tax & Insurance.

I will have to do a Driver Test for which ever option I decide on so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its hard to advise really. they all have benefits and drawbacks. I am lucky enough that I can keep a commercial and qualify for commercial tax. I dont think I would want to bother with a 7.5 tonne lorry. And as you said, the proper 3.5 T are very expensive. Jeep and trailer seems to me like the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

fits wrote: »
    Its hard to advise really. they all have benefits and drawbacks. I am lucky enough that I can keep a commercial and qualify for commercial tax. I dont think I would want to bother with a 7.5 tonne lorry. And as you said, the proper 3.5 T are very expensive. Jeep and trailer seems to me like the easiest option.

My dream is a 3.5T lorry. Keep an eye on donedeal though, I've seen a few up there that are relatively new and in good nick for between 9-15k; still not cheap but oh the convenience..

I use my jeep for day to day use and I'd love to buy a two horse lorry and a small run around - like a vw polo or something.

A lot of the cheaper ones are overweight with two horses appatently so thats something to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Lucy21

Yes I would love the 2 horse lorry - it would be by far the most convenient as I wouldn't need to do a test for a license and I will be keeping my car anyway as my day to day drive.

Oh if only I could find one at the right price !!!!

You could always use public transport
    http://www.thejournal.ie/horse-luas-2336771-Sep2015/

• Advertisement

LOL - Oh Dear God - What Next ????

I wonder where were they headed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I said that would be on the Green line and sure enough it was. It's going to be worse once the Luas Lines join up...

I have tried to contact a few insurance companies now just to get an idea of price.

not sure a jeep is going to be the cheapest as its looking quite expensive to tax and insure privately and I probably wouldn't get commercial insurance !!!

If anyone has any suggestions would appreciate it.

If I get any feedback from the insurance company I will post it here too.

I insure mine with insuremyvan.ie Try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, you haven't mentioned it yet but I'm just wondering if you know how to check a box? If you don't, it might be worth taking someone with you. The last thing you need is a box (or lorry) that has a dodgy floor or ramp or something.

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    OP, you haven't mentioned it yet but I'm just wondering if you know how to check a box? If you don't, it might be worth taking someone with you. The last thing you need is a box (or lorry) that has a dodgy floor or ramp or something.

Thanks - Oh I will be bringing a mechanically minded person with me for all that checking etc.

with regards to the Insurance Question - phone insurance company and just asked them direct which was cheaper.

Basic Replay

Jeep & Trailer - Insurance is €1k + per annum - Taxed Privately also near €1K
    7.5T Horse Box with Living - Insurance €450 per an umm - Taxed as Camper about €100
    Value was based on 5k on each option

so 7.5T with Living is cheaper option to tax and insure so I am off to get my C1 Drivers license !!!!!
    And as I won't be using it for anything other than horse related business - will suit me fine :-)

I dont pay anywhere near that! Jeep is about 350 and trailer is insured with allianz on the horse insurance policy.

fits wrote: »
    I dont pay anywhere near that! Jeep is about 350 and trailer is insured with allianz on the horse insurance policy.

Yes that's because you qualify for commercial tax & insurance - whereas when one does not qualify to tax and insure privately is rather hefty !!

Unless you purchase up in the years and have the tax based on CO2 emissions then your tax is insignificant !! But I am looking to buy low budget so down in the years !! Besides I fancy something with a bit of living :-) handy for having a cup of tea !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

Lucy21 wrote: »
    Yes that's because you qualify for commercial tax & insurance - whereas when one does not qualify to tax and insure privately is rather hefty !!

Unless you purchase up in the years and have the tax based on CO2 emissions then your tax is insignificant !! But I am looking to buy low budget so down in the years !! Besides I fancy something with a bit of living :-) handy for having a cup of tea !!!

My insurance for my jeep is also the same as Fits - €400. It is a passenger jeep (fully comprehensive) with 3rd party liability when towing which is all you can get. I don't have my box insured for theft etc. as it is old and over time the insurance might exceed replacement value.
    My current insurance is with Allianz but previously was with Chill and 123. My jeep is almost 10 years old so probably in the price range of what you are talking about. Shop around more for your insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

It totally depends - if you have been running a jeep for a while then yes it will be cheaper. I went from a 1.3 Fiesta to a 2.5l Sorento and my insurance went from €450 to €900 (I'm 25 so insurance is still dear). Next year it will be lower after a year's claims free driving on it.

OP AIG insurance do the best deals on insurance that I could find. If your horse is insured add the box to that it costs about 100quid extra I think for the year.

To throw in the 2 cents on this - 2005 2.0 litre jeep; insurance under 400 - non commercial jeep, fully comp; insured through AA as a broker.

To throw in the 2 cents on this - 2005 2.0 litre jeep; insurance under 400 - non commercial jeep, fully comp; insured through AA as a broker.

Thanks Silverfox - whats the tax like on it??

Thanks Silverfox - whats the tax like on it??

Sadly the tax is still yuck - 710 per annum.

I pay it every quarter though so it's not as big a hit, same with my insurance which is only 29 a month, so I don't even notice it.

I'm holding off on buying a new jeep until I can splash out a bit and buy something in the new emissions bracket with the lower tax (I think 2008/2009 and onwards) but they are still v pricey at the moment.

Sadly the tax is still yuck - 710 per annum.

I pay it every quarter though so it's not as big a hit, same with my insurance which is only 29 a month, so I don't even notice it.

I'm holding off on buying a new jeep until I can splash out a bit and buy something in the new emissions bracket with the lower tax (I think 2008/2009 and onwards) but they are still v pricey at the moment.

Its the tax in older jeeps thats the complete killer !!! And I certainly can't afford a newer one as you say they are still pricey !!!

Dropped the 510 in for a service this week and it needs repairs coming to 800 euro to the wheels and brakes! Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm trying to go down the 3.5 tonne route too. I don't think I will buy in Ireland TBH. 17k for a 20 year old truck that has seen better days.. nope! Expensive for what they are. there's tonnes of them in the UK and for a lot less, except the bloomin currency is a killer.

I keep seeing people advertising 7.5 tonners that "can be driven on a car licence" so that is something to watch out for, a lot of the ones with living seem to be that.

Is it worth getting the C1 test or whatever they called it now?

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread for advice too :)

Kamili wrote: »
    I'm trying to go down the 3.5 tonne route too. I don't think I will buy in Ireland TBH. 17k for a 20 year old truck that has seen better days.. nope! Expensive for what they are. there's tonnes of them in the UK and for a lot less, except the bloomin currency is a killer.

I keep seeing people advertising 7.5 tonners that "can be driven on a car licence" so that is something to watch out for, a lot of the ones with living seem to be that.

Is it worth getting the C1 test or whatever they called it now?

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread for advice too :)

Anything over 3.5T cannot be driven on a B Licence you need a C1 for up to 7.5T and anything over 7.5T you need a C Licence.

To get a C or C1 licence you need to do theory test for truck, medical, get learner licence, driving lessons and then test.

I've just booked my Theory Test for November !!!

Agree with you about going to UK to buy a truck - fab selection of trucks on preloved.co.UK . and even with the currency and VRT to pay it looks attractive to buy in the UK . Trucks appear better minded too. That's just my opinion I could be wrong !!!

Anything over 3.5T cannot be driven on a B Licence you need a C1 for up to 7.5T and anything over 7.5T you need a C Licence.

To get a C or C1 licence you need to do theory test for truck, medical, get learner licence, driving lessons and then test.

I've just booked my Theory Test for November !!!

Agree with you about going to UK to buy a truck - fab selection of trucks on preloved.co.UK . and even with the currency and VRT to pay it looks attractive to buy in the UK . Trucks appear better minded too. That's just my opinion I could be wrong !!!

yes sorry I should have elaborated on that, a 7.5 tonne CANNOT be driven on a car licence! I just got into an argument with someone selling a truck that was advertised as can be driven on a car licence then proceeded to tell me it was 7.5 tonne.
    NOPE against the law sorry and they didn't grasp this either. I'd say they were driving it without the correct licence.. oops.

I have to agree the UK trucks are much better looked after than the paddy ones. I've always bought UK cars as they are better serviced, have a recorded history and well last better!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PonyMum

I think the confusion with some sellers saying a 7.5 tonne truck can be driven on a car license might depend on their age - depending on when you did your test you might be able to. I have a UK license which allows me to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry, I didn't do a separate test for that, it's just that if you did your test before 1997 you automatically got C1 on your license. I'm guessing it's probably the same with Irish licenses.
    I've had both a lorry and a trailer and I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Personally,
    unless I was going to be using it a lot (at least every week) I would go with jeep and trailer over a lorry. Yes, the tax is cheap on a lorry but if you also need a car you'd be taxing and insuring two vehicles, then there's servicing for both, and the cost of putting the lorry through it's DOE test. I hated having the lorry sitting around when I wasn't using it, especially during the winter. It's much cheaper to keep a trailer serviced and on the road, and anything that might go wrong with a trailer is likely to be cheaper to fix!
    The main advantage of the lorry was that it was easier to drive (I hate reversing trailers!) and my car stayed cleaner because I wasn't filling it up with horse equipment on a regular basis! Oh, also with a lorry of friends/family know you have it you'll be constantly asked to help move furniture etc!!!! ;)

PonyMum wrote: »
    I think the confusion with some sellers saying a 7.5 tonne truck can be driven on a car license might depend on their age - depending on when you did your test you might be able to. I have a UK license which allows me to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry, I didn't do a separate test for that, it's just that if you did your test before 1997 you automatically got C1 on your license. I'm guessing it's probably the same with Irish licenses.

the C1 licence and the B licence are not the same, so even though you didn't do the truck test you got the truck licence.

So on a technicality no you cannot drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle on a car licence, which only the B licence, you need to still hold the C1 licence. I suspect your licence has both C1 and B on it and in the case of the 7.5 tonne truck because you hold the C1 truck licence you can drive it, but anyone who simply has a B licence (car licence) would be breaking the law, you're not able to drive the truck unless you hold the truck C1 and your licence is marked with it.

So regardless of age, you still need have the C1 truck licence, simply having the car licence which is B means you cannot drive a 7.5 tonne truck.

So the statement can be driven on a car licence is incorrect as the B licence is only covers vehicles up to 3.5 tonne. (sorry for going off on a rant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PonyMum

the C1 licence and the B licence are not the same, so even though you didn't do the truck test you got the truck licence.

So on a technicality no you cannot drive a 7.5 tonne vehicle on a car licence, which only the B licence, you need to still hold the C1 licence. I suspect your licence has both C1 and B on it and in the case of the 7.5 tonne truck because you hold the C1 truck licence you can drive it, but anyone who simply has a B licence (car licence) would be breaking the law, you're not able to drive the truck unless you hold the truck C1 and your licence is marked with it.

So regardless of age, you still need have the C1 truck licence, simply having the car licence which is B means you cannot drive a 7.5 tonne truck.

So the statement can be driven on a car licence is incorrect as the B licence is only covers vehicles up to 3.5 tonne. (sorry for going off on a rant!)

Yes. I was just offering an explanation as to why someone might think that and therefore say it in their ad :)

Yes. I was just offering an explanation as to why someone might think that and therefore say it in their ad :)

it will catch someone out though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think it was in the early 80s when they removed C1, D1 and EB from Irish B licences

Nope once your licence was issued before the date they removed the entitlement you can drive on it. If you got it as a separate test then it can expire if you don't have the endorsement for IIRC 10 years on your licence then you loose entitlement to it, but your B is still valid along with all other entitlements that you got when you passed the test. I know people driving on the UK drivers licence with no picture and good till 70, are these people driving illegally as all new licences require a picture and expire after 10 years?

You can loose the entitlement by exchanging licences between countries, so someone with a UK licence that allows 7.5t driving switching to an Irish licence will loose the entitlement.

Probably best with regards to Licences to consult with your Insurance Company and/or your Licensing Authority as there seems to be quite a bit of variance on this.

If In doubt - Check it Out

• Advertisement

Totally agree Lucy :)

Advertisement