Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's all kicking off in Oaugadougou!

• 17-09-2015 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Pronounced "Wag-a-doo-goo" if I'm not mistaken.

Presidential guard officers in Burkina Faso have announced the dissolution of the transitional government.
    A new "national democratic council" had taken control to end the "deviant regime", Lt-Col Mamadou Bamba said on state television.
    Interim parliament speaker Cheriff Sy said the move was "clearly a coup".
    Heavy shooting could be heard at the main square in the capital, Oaugadougou to disperse protesters, reports the BBC's Yacouba Ouedraogo from the city.

On Wednesday, the presidential guard arrested interim President Michel Kafando and Prime Minister Isaac Zida at a cabinet meeting at the presidential palace.
    They were due to hand power to a new government after elections on 11 October.
    Long-serving ruler Blaise Compaore was ousted in a popular uprising last year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34276807

We'll that's another place off my holiday list. I wonder who is sponsoring this latest round of fisticuffs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Resistance fighters were apprenetly heard running through the streets firing off rounds and singing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It was never a place you'd want to visit. They have a history of coups and revolutionary councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It was never a place you'd want to visit. They have a history of coups and revolutionary councils.

Fiji has had 4 coups in the last twenty years and it would not stop me going there! But they have been bloodless IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ouagadougou may be the capital but Bobo-Dioulasso is where the action is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

The ooga boogas are kicking off in Ouagadougou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Menas wrote: »
    Fiji has had 4 coups in the last twenty years and it would not stop me going there! But they have been bloodless IIRC.

Burkina Faso is a rough and hostile country. I was there in the mid 80s and it hasn't improved according to my contacts there. No comparison with Fiji; not that I have any experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I think they were the last country to prohibit slavery. They still had slaves there when I was reading about it. Their culture is a bit mad, it's a father's responsibility to keep his daughter as fat as possible so eating as much as they can and not exercising because that will make her as attractive as possible for a potential suitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Menas wrote: »

Yes all smotherings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I think they were the last country to prohibit slavery. They still had slaves there when I was reading about it. Their culture is a bit mad, it's a father's responsibility to keep his daughter as fat as possible so eating as much as they can and not exercising because that will make her as attractive as possible for a potential suitor.

It seems that some do that here too....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I think they were the last country to prohibit slavery.
    No that was Mauritania where it's only been a criminal offence to have slaves since 2007, and there's only been one prosecution. Depending on how you define slavery between 4% and 20% of the population are enslaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No that was Mauritania where it's only been a criminal offence to have slaves since 2007, and there's only been one prosecution. Depending on how you define slavery between 4% and 20% of the population are enslaved.

No you're wrong as well , Cavan still has slavery .

Advertisement