Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home PC Mobile phone tracking?

Options
  • 17-09-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Has anyone come across a FREE system that allows you to track your staff`s work mobile phones?
    Looked up a few & don`t really trust downloading to my PC from the sites i found

Thanks.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

There are data protection issues you'll need to address first, you have to inform staff and get permission to use personal data.
    You also have to have a genuine business need for this data, you cannot track a person just because you want to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yep it would be invasion of privacy in a way that a person could be off work and you are tracking their whereabouts. If its for work and there is a legitamiate reason for this then what you are looking for is a Mobile Device Management solution (MDM) such as Mobile Iron etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

Hi, All staff are aware that their work phone will be tracked as it is required to carry out their jobs in a more professional manner (the type of industry).
    There are company phones, after work hours they can turn it off or just log off from the tracking system & turn it back on before they head out to work.
    Again, on holiday, sick etc. just log off.

Is there anything out there that can do this?
    I know you can get free downloads to Androids etc. but with those tracking systems they can see each other, which I do not want either.

I just want a PC in head office to be able to see where they are.
    I may have an urgent job come in & need to see who is closest to that location that can carry out the work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kato74 wrote: »
    Hi, All staff are aware that their work phone will be tracked as it is required to carry out their jobs in a more professional manner (the type of industry).
    There are company phones, after work hours they can turn it off or just log off from the tracking system & turn it back on before they head out to work.
    Again, on holiday, sick etc. just log off.

Is there anything out there that can do this?
    I know you can get free downloads to Androids etc. but with those tracking systems they can see each other, which I do not want either.

I just want a PC in head office to be able to see where they are.
    I may have an urgent job come in & need to see who is closest to that location that can carry out the work.

As i have already stated, you will need an MDM product and even at that you will probably have to get one tailored for showing a map with all the different employees locations in realtime. This will cost a fortune if it is even possible, plus to have the information available in realtime the battery drain on the device would be imense and then you will also have to look at your Data allowances etc and allow for areas of bad coverage. Regardless of the staff knowing about them been tracked you will actually have to check the laws surrounding this. I have rolled out an MDM product and when it came to tracking the movements of staff it was a nightmare so we dont bother using that function.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would Google location tracker work, phones would just need to be signed into a Google account. It's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

Would Google location tracker work, phones would just need to be signed into a Google account. It's free.

Will look into that, Thanks

Regardless of staff knowing this you have to comply with laws in this area...i.e. register as a data controller, Protection of data policy.

Google...this data could read incorrect for location, my location is often up to 10km out.
    And shouldn't be be considered accurate.

Do you have permission to setup an Google account in your workers names...I doubt it.

Do it right and you won't end up in a worker dispute down the road....and maybe a costly legal bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement