Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do next year?

Options
  • 17-09-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have been doing Tri's now for 6+ years and finished this season last Saturday with my 2nd Ironman. i love training but as of from now my spare time is going to be really cut as my eldest daughter (11) is now in the cadet swimming squad so her swimming has gone from 1-2 days a weeks to 4-5 days a week, my other 2 smallies who are (8 & 5) are getting involved more and more in sport and various activities so i really wont have the time for IM training for the foreseeable future.
    i am looking for a few ideas on what to do other than triathlons next year, i know i can tip away training and do a few sprints, oly's or even a Half but i'd like to try something else

i think i am in the "been there done that" feeling with Tri's at the moment and would maybe like a change

any suggestions good or bad will greatfully be accepted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Try some cyclocross or cross country running over the winter.

Does OW swimming appeal to you? Lots of OW races for the summer months.

If you're having a real crisis you could try White Collar MMA or White Collar Boxing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I have to say the sheer diversity of adventure racing has piqued my interest recently and it looks like there are some good long term goals to crack there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if after an easier life could give adventure racing a go. :p

dare i say swim run? there is a race in the UK, there may be one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Pmaldini wrote: »
    I have been doing Tri's now for 6+ years and finished this season last Saturday with my 2nd Ironman. i love training but as of from now my spare time is going to be really cut as my eldest daughter (11) is now in the cadet swimming squad so her swimming has gone from 1-2 days a weeks to 4-5 days a week, my other 2 smallies who are (8 & 5) are getting involved more and more in sport and various activities so i really wont have the time for IM training for the foreseeable future.
    i am looking for a few ideas on what to do other than triathlons next year, i know i can tip away training and do a few sprints, oly's or even a Half but i'd like to try something else

i think i am in the "been there done that" feeling with Tri's at the moment and would maybe like a change

any suggestions good or bad will greatfully be accepted

What are you pbs in:
    Sprint
    Oly
    5km
    10km

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

pgibbo wrote: »
    Try some cyclocross or cross country running over the winter.

Does OW swimming appeal to you? Lots of OW races for the summer months.

If you're having a real crisis you could try White Collar MMA or White Collar Boxing :pac:

i like the idea of the 1st 2 Paul but FFS you have seen the size of me, i'd be murdered in MMA:D

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I have to say the sheer diversity of adventure racing has piqued my interest recently and it looks like there are some good long term goals to crack there.

adventure racing definitely appeals to me MM but i'd imagine it takes up a huge amount of time, which unfortunately i wont have next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    if after an easier life could give adventure racing a go. :p

Funny to look at :P
    dare i say swim run? there is a race in the UK, there will be one here.
    adventure racing definitely appeals to me MM but i'd imagine it takes up a huge amount of time, which unfortunately i wont have next year

I was surprised how much more forgiving and balanced the training could be.

tunney wrote: »
    What are you pbs in:
    Sprint
    Oly
    5km
    10km

i would be in the captain slow category,

Sprint - 1.11
    Oly - 2.28
    5k - 19.55
    10k - 43.15

AKW wrote: »
    Funny to look at :P

I was surprised how much more forgiving and balanced the training could be.

what kind of hours would you be doing AKW? i know Shotgun trains like an olympian but can it be done on limited time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I reckon bike racing would suit you Paul, you have come a long way in one season on the bike and i think there is potential there to tap into on a sole bike focus.

Having switched from tri to bike racing for a year i can say its a refreshing change, you can also get super strong on 8hrs bike training a week and knowing how busy you are with the business.

• Advertisement

I reckon bike racing would suit you Paul, you have come a long way in one season on the bike and i think there is potential there to tap into on a sole bike focus.

Having switched from tri to bike racing for a year i can say its a refreshing change, you can also get super strong on 8hrs bike training a week and knowing how busy you are with the business.

Did you come back to tri recently?

Being honest don't A4 and A3 bike racers in Ireland, for the most part, *completely* delude themselves as to their strength on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Being honest don't A4 and A3 bike racers in Ireland, for the most part, *completely* delude themselves as to their strength on the bike?

In my experience, yeah. With a bunch of very strong Juniors winning half the A3 races there's a tendency for *relatively* strong A3 riders (say, front of MOP) to underestimate the step up required to get to A2. There's also a tendency to think 'Oh I rode around in the bunch all day in an A3 race, I must be pretty decent' - there's a huge difference between rolling around in the bunch in a relatively flat race and actually making the moves let alone making a move stick.

That said, I'm sure JB is right - an intelligent single sport focus on 8-10 hrs a week could get someone to a decent level and might be very enjoyable vs tri on a limited time budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

what kind of hours would you be doing AKW? i know Shotgun trains like an olympian but can it be done on limited time?

Fits and bursts.

Most of my training is about maintaining fitness. Mostly what I have been doing last winter was running with bike commuting for good measure. We did long sessions as a team on the bike and long hiking events. Far less pressure (last year) to do 3/4 hours bikes every week. It will be different for 2016 as there is a big goal there.

Only as a quick hello, i will still be bike racing:)

A4 - most are not strong, its pretty weak.
    A3 - 10-20% are strong, the rest roll around.
    A2 - Ok getting half decent here.
    A1 - if you got the points to A1 you deserve to be classed a "good rider"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You could also look at nailing your run for when you decide to return to IM when the kids are a bit older. 8 to 10 hours of running a week would have you in fine fettle. Plus, of the 3, running can be squeezed in the easiest and requires least kit or overheads.

You could always keep splashing and cycling for fun when time permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Commiting to 8-10 hrs a week ..you are still talking about 5-6 sessions. If looking to opening up your nights or getting up at a normal hour....then i really dont see much of a difference..considering i do 3 swims sessions a week including 2 at lunch.

i know a good few lads bike racing, i think thursday league races might suit from next may on but i dont think i'd have the time to commit to weekend racing, the lads seem to be away at some race or another all summer. and with the amount of swimming Rose is doing i see myself getting plenty of running done while waiting for her, no point in trying to get a swim in at that time as the lane they leave open for the public is full of dead people!!

on a personal note i'd like to thank you publicly for all the help this year, i asked a question about turbo training on the forum when i was injured with a fractured ankle last year (happened on the boards ballyhoura cycle) and you came back with a few suggestions, i dont know how you did it but you hoodwinked me into becoming my coach, you have transformed my cycling and if it wasnt for another leg injury i think we would have gone very well in the IM marathon, we both work ridiculous hours and yet you still have time to work around my time, thanks again Fran, it is very much appreciated

pgibbo wrote: »
    You could also look at nailing your run for when you decide to return to IM when the kids are a bit older. 8 to 10 hours of running a week would have you in fine fettle. Plus, of the 3, running can be squeezed in the easiest and requires least kit or overheads.

You could always keep splashing and cycling for fun when time permits.

are you saying my running is sh!t? you would be right of course:D, i have it in my head i'd like to try some trail running possibly, roads can be very boring sometimes and hard on the calves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

are you saying my running is sh!t? you would be right of course:D, i have it in my head i'd like to try some trail running possibly, roads can be very boring sometimes and hard on the calves..

Irish Mountain Running Assoc.run some great trail and mountain running leagues during the spring and summer a lot of adventure racers also compete in these,a very friendly vibe at the races and the mountains are a great place to bring the kids after that you could finish off the season with the Dublin marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

have you considered alcohol or heading back to the golf course.

you made savage gain on the bike this year (majorly impressed must have a good coach:)),
    Have you considered long distance running,
    or look to set a few pb's on sorted distance.

• Advertisement

i would be in the captain slow category,

Sprint - 1.11
    Oly - 2.28
    5k - 19.55
    10k - 43.15

Missed this.

That 10k is weak. Get that four minutes down. That would keep you busy for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can you get any runs in when your little one is in her swim session? I try and get a good run in on a Saturday morning when my guys are doing their 2hr session at stupid o'clock and I'm waiting on them to finish. It's a 'free' longish run.

Running 8-10hrs a week will get you to a decent level if used wisely, you could do one of the advanced P&D plans and aim for marathon PB and easily get a 10km and HM PB along the way.

If you can get that long term injury sorted you can certainly take chunks off those run times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ballroom dancing? Bowling? Swimnastics? Curling?

More importantly....how did you do in your IM?? And where is your report???? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ballroom dancing? Bowling? Swimnastics? Curling?

More importantly....how did you do in your IM?? And where is your report???? :)

And what's the long term injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

OW swim.

swim bay clare to galway 13km.

Gaelforce.

Unless injury in shoulder.

My retirement will comprise weekly of

2 conditioning classes
    1 yoga class
    And a game of golf or Sunday coffeee and scone ride
    I cant wait.

My retirement will comprise weekly of

2 conditioning classes
    1 yoga class
    And a game of golf or Sunday coffeee and scone ride
    I cant wait.

You don't really like swim/bike/run do you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

can ye start the gear fire sales so?

• Advertisement

can ye start the gear fire sales so?

No i have to conquer the Lost sheep before that happens :)

Advertisement