Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do next year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    You don't really like swim/bike/run do you?

1 more year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    can ye start the gear fire sales so?

Won't be the only one around here soon unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

http://bhaa.ie/

The bhaa cross country is starting mid October, first one is in Castleknock. Nice little timed races with good spread after.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

johnruns wrote: »
    Irish Mountain Running Assoc.run some great trail and mountain running leagues during the spring and summer a lot of adventure racers also compete in these,a very friendly vibe at the races and the mountains are a great place to bring the kids after that you could finish off the season with the Dublin marathon.

i will definitely look into this johnruns, thank you

BennyMul wrote: »
    have you considered alcohol or heading back to the golf course.

you made savage gain on the bike this year (majorly impressed must have a good coach:)),
    Have you considered long distance running,
    or look to set a few pb's on sorted distance.

i am enjoying my alcohol consumption since last saturday and will keep enjoying it through the next month of rugby, as for the golf, i might try it again, its been a while so it could be bad!!

you are right about the good coach but i also cycled with a fat fella who made me work hard to keep the intervals honest:D

if i can get the foot right i would like to get into trail running or try for some decent marathon times, i'm not that interested in the shorter fast stuff, i'll leave that to the younger guys and gals on here!

• Advertisement

Missed this.

That 10k is weak. Get that four minutes down. That would keep you busy for the year.[/QUOTE

yes weak, but in my defence Mr T it was in a tri,(still slow but yada, yada) cant remember the last time i did stand alone 10k, i'd like to think i could run well under 40mins if trained properly but as mentioned to Bennymul i am more drawn to the longer stuff.

the injury is plantar fasciitis in my right foot, i manage it pretty well but it does flair up from time to time and can be very painful.

the problem i had before IM this year wasnt the Plantar it was a small tear in the flexor hallucis longus in my calf, only started easy running again about 4 weeks out from race.

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Missed this.

That 10k is weak. Get that four minutes down. That would keep you busy for the year.

yes weak, but in my defence Mr T it was in a tri,(still slow but yada, yada) cant remember the last time i did stand alone 10k, i'd like to think i could run well under 40mins if trained properly but as mentioned to Bennymul i am more drawn to the longer stuff.

the injury is plantar fasciitis in my right foot, i manage it pretty well but it does flair up from time to time and can be very painful.

the problem i had before IM this year wasnt the Plantar it was a small tear in the flexor hallucis longus in my calf, only started easy running again about 4 weeks out from race.

How do you sleep? On your belly or on your back?

How do you sleep? On your belly or on your back?

are you looking for a date??

only kidding, generally on my side or back, why?

are you looking for a date??

only kidding, generally on my side or back, why?

Sleeping on your belly tends to result in your ankle being being fully flexed, this results in tight/spasmed calves and can be a contributing factor to PF.

Many suffers sleep in a rigid L shaped boot to prevent this from happening.

Sleeping on your belly tends to result in your ankle being being fully flexed, this results in tight/spasmed calves and can be a contributing factor to PF.

Many suffers sleep in a rigid L shaped boot to prevent this from happening.

i have the boot, use it when it gets very bad, they are not very comfortable but they work

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Can you get any runs in when your little one is in her swim session? I try and get a good run in on a Saturday morning when my guys are doing their 2hr session at stupid o'clock and I'm waiting on them to finish. It's a 'free' longish run.

Running 8-10hrs a week will get you to a decent level if used wisely, you could do one of the advanced P&D plans and aim for marathon PB and easily get a 10km and HM PB along the way.

i was looking at that, it gives a few free hours every week to get some decent running done

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ballroom dancing? Bowling? Swimnastics? Curling?

More importantly....how did you do in your IM?? And where is your report???? :)

i might try them all DD :D

IM went great, got beaten up in swim, got beaten up on the bike and got beaten up on the run but sure isnt that what its all about!! and best of all i beat last year by 42 mins:)
    i will go into more detail on my various beatings in the report to follow soon...

My retirement will comprise weekly of

2 conditioning classes
    1 yoga class
    And a game of golf or Sunday coffeee and scone ride
    I cant wait.

that sounds like a nice plan bryangiggsy, i might build some if not all into the equation

can ye start the gear fire sales so?

funny you say this Moss,

my good wife said to me on Monday after i came home from Holland "i have all your gear washed hun" i said "jeez thanks babe but i won't need them for a few days, fair play to you" her reply was "they are all going on donedeal!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

i might try them all DD :D

IM went great, got beaten up in swim, got beaten up on the bike and got beaten up on the run but sure isnt that what its all about!! and best of all i beat last year by 42 mins:)
    i will go into more detail on my various beatings in the report to follow soon...

It would have been much more if we could have had you running without problems. I am in the same camp as you know, becoming a professional beer/wine taster with end of season :)

It would have been much more if we could have had you running without problems. I am in the same camp as you know, becoming a professional beer/wine taster with end of season :)

as long as the wine is red and from the Bordeaux region of France i'll join your party:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

one option, not race, but for something different that i'm considering. hill running group on a wednesday night for the winter. they alternate between ballycuggeran (killaloe), tountinna(killaloe/ballina) and keeper(you know where that is :) ). head torch off road running. Going to do it myself this year once i discuss with coach. but i used run at lunctimes on a wednesday which doesn't really work anymore so this would work.

something different, easier on the legs, and anything with a headtorch is badass

one option, not race, but for something different that i'm considering. hill running group on a wednesday night for the winter. they alternate between ballycuggeran (killaloe), tountinna(killaloe/ballina) and keeper(you know where that is :) ). head torch off road running. Going to do it myself this year once i discuss with coach. but i used run at lunctimes on a wednesday which doesn't really work anymore so this would work.

something different, easier on the legs, and anything with a headtorch is badass

that sounds brilliant Mossy, i would be well up for that, keep me posted as to when it starts

that sounds brilliant Mossy, i would be well up for that, keep me posted as to when it starts

never stops, during the summer it turns into IMRA midweek summer league. so they are going year round. there is a google group you sign up to get the weekly organising email, will find the link for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nice one Mossy, P you'll need new shoes and a decent headlamp ;)

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Nice one Mossy, P you'll need new shoes and a decent headlamp ;)

just remember my 22.57698% commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

never stops, during the summer it turns into IMRA midweek summer league. so they are going year round. there is a google group you sign up to get the weekly organising email, will find the link for you

can you send myself on the link also good sir, would be interested in some of that,

cheers

you both have mail....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Easier on the legs???? You're having a laugh. Your quads will be shot based on the few mountain runs I've done

pgibbo wrote: »
    Easier on the legs???? You're having a laugh. Your quads will be shot based on the few mountain runs I've done

easier in terms of impact. softer surface. as you say great muscle builder though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

No i have to conquer the Lost sheep before that happens :)

Funny, your exact words were "never ever ever again"

BTH wrote: »

that's what i heard him say too...

Lack of salt induced mumble jumble :)

Am doing Challenge Mallorca in under 4 weeks....the bike is 1100m (same as LS) and the run is 234m (LS was 191) i may be repeating myself ;)

• Advertisement

Am doing Challenge Mallorca in under 4 weeks....the bike is 1100m (same as LS) and the run is 234m (LS was 191) i may be repeating myself ;)

For a man who hates triathlons you do alot of them

Advertisement