Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for graduate computer science student

Options
  • 17-09-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I'm graduating next month with a BSc in computer science.

The problem is this: I am not confident in my coding skills.

While I studied several languages in uni (java,python,c++,c), I never focused on one language. Also, I have no professional experience (no internships..etc.)

I am currently studying Java at home, and want to find a job in the language.

Below are my different options:

-Continue to study java at home and build a portfolio of projects (add something to github), and wait until I become confident in the language before applying for jobs. (how long will that take? will i miss out on jobs?)

-Apply for graduate jobs now. (what level of coding do they expect? maybe I will be trained in the language ?)

-Apply for internships now. (most internships run in the summer time though?)

-Get work experience some other way.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd say the first thing you do is change your mindset. :)

Unless you did really badly in your final exams, why are you any less of a graduate than others? Surely you did project work that can demonstrate your skills?

Graduate programs are designed for people like you. There are usually minimum requirements (e.g. min 2.1) and they always have a training plan for graduates.

So I would suggest you do all of the above - develop a portfolio, while applying for graduate positions and internships.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MaxDecMer

I'm in a similar position myself, also looking for some professional experience. Like tom said, do all of the above. Work on a project or two and get them on github.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Like every other graduate in every other course, just fake it till you make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You just need to get out there and start apply for jobs, OP. Any company worth their salt will understand that a graduate like yourself is not going to have the level of confidence that a developer with a few years experience under his or her belt would have. Most companies have graduate programmes and you should have a mentor assigned to you when you join that company.

Work on your own projects at home. Research interview questions relating to your areas of interest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Apply for just about anything you can get your hands on, but be aiming for a job. I was pretty scared too when I was going for my first job, but you get the hang of it after a while.

In between looking for a job:

-Attend development meetups (These can be seriously fun and it's great to be around like-minded people).
    -Add to Github.
    -Make apps for the play/app store.
    -Never go a day without doing something that adds to your experience.

You could also start up your own "fake" company and start selling through that. Perhaps creating Android apps? Technically it isn't lying if you have that down on your CV. If you want to play it safe, then make sure it's clear that you're the owner/CEO/guy running the show. Even then, it'll show a level of responsibility.

Good luck and enjoy the career!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

To become more confident in your coding skills you should focus on becoming good at one programming language e.g. Java. Jumping between languages at college level is not a good idea as you spend more time learning syntax rather than using one language to develop your craft and solve problems. Once you feel confident with using Java, learning other languages like Python will be less of a problem.

Focus on using Java for personal projects like Android apps and you won't be long building up your confidence.

Advertisement