Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative power

Options
  • 17-09-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into a backup power source for running a chest freezer and larder fridge with the start up I need around 2000 watts a day. So far I have 6 12v batteries which are recharged by mains power which will give me 3 days power. Is anyone running solar panels in Ireland that could give some advice on what size panel would suit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Constructionpv owner posts on the c&p renewables forum. Quentin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ShadowFox wrote: »
    I'm looking into a backup power source for running a chest freezer and larder fridge with the start up I need around 2000 watts a day. So far I have 6 12v batteries which are recharged by mains power which will give me 3 days power. Is anyone running solar panels in Ireland that could give some advice on what size panel would suit

As I've said I'm thinking of playing with PV solar power and I say playing because the figures I have seen so far don't make it viable at many (any) levels. Put some panel size figures into this website and it will give you an idea on what you would need. Note you need to set an exact location each time or you get the wrong figures.

From my calculations to provide 2000 Watts of power in the winter you need 2000 Watts worth of panels because our winter worst peak sun hours are just less than ONE. In other words you get no more than one hours worth of the panels rating in a day.

I think you need to assume that anytime you need to use a solar power backup its going to be at the worst time of year for producing power and that you are going to be off for more than just a day. If you just want to cover yourself for a day or two then its a different calculation and you are calculating the minimum power of panels necessary to charge batteries that will run your equipment for the relevant time span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hmmm, think I missread the OP or at least mistranslated what was meant by 2000 Watts because thinking about it that must include the stating power. So the actual Watts used when running is likely to be far less than that. So take the power used when running as a starting point for the sizing the panels add a bit on say 25% for the power used to start the motor so I would think that something in the 400Watt range might just do it all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

my3cents wrote: »
    Hmmm, think I missread the OP or at least mistranslated what was meant by 2000 Watts because thinking about it that must include the stating power. So the actual Watts used when running is likely to be far less than that. So take the power used when running as a starting point for the sizing the panels add a bit on say 25% for the power used to start the motor so I would think that something in the 400Watt range might just do it all year round.

Start up power doesn't come into it as the power is coming from the batteries what I need is panels to recharge a minimum of 2 batteries in a day more if possible

Advertisement