Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC '15: Pool C General Chat [NZ/ARG/TON/GEO/NAM]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Nib wrote: »
    What? :confused:

This match has the biggest ranking differential of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

What? :confused:

They were +77 favourites. New Zealand media will crucify them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

TMO?! Poite you prick.

Touch judge called to check for the double movement.

I'm not getting the antagonism for Poite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

44 points! Namibia beat the spread!

Ben Smith & Milner-Skudder only bit of life on the pitch I thought.

Poor spectacle, not helped by Poite. Namibia managed to disrupt well (not always legally) but got away with it so no harm!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd say that's a solid well paying career sorted for a few of the Namibians, time for a few of them to dust off their French and their maps of the Castres of the world

A few of them already play in France apparently.

Their number six plays in England (I think still)

God that last 15 minutes was a long last fifteen minutes.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

9 tries and SBW didn't get any. FML. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Poite could have made that a decent game by forcing Namibia to stop slowing everything down. Give that game to Owens and NZ would have gotten into rhythm and scored a lot more imo. Total snore-fest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Stheno wrote: »
    A few of them already play in France apparently.

Their number six plays in England (I think still)

God that last 15 minutes was a long last fifteen minutes.

Berger has 100 caps for Saracens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I've just wasted 2 hours of my life. Imagine paying decent money to see that. NZ altered between trying Globetrotters stuff (little kicks over the top and passes that flirted with danger, Namibia were close to 2 more tries between dropping an interception and a SBW try saving tackle) and slow play. Going for a scrum 35 metres out and constant pick and go on the line.

• Advertisement

Distinctly unimpressed by Fekitoa too. He'll be disappointed imo.

Distinctly unimpressed by Fekitoa too. He'll be disappointed imo.

Thought he was rubbish, to be honest. Kept standing still whenever he got the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Such a slow moving game :(

I really thought NZ would absolutely hammer Namibia

Absolutely, but 58-14 isn't exactly a hammering. I didn't see the match, but fair play to Namibia.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Thought he was rubbish, to be honest. Kept standing still whenever he got the ball.

His distribution was muck too.
    Kept running into contact when spreading it wide would have resulted in a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Slade, Fekitoa and TKB will all be disappointed with their performances i think. Slade in particular made a mistake the few times he stepped into the 10 channel.

Fekitoa played ok in parts and was good defensively but in possession he was hesitant and made a fair few bad decisions. He cost one and potentially two tries by not moving the ball wide and tried to back himself.

I fell asleep for around 10 minutes of that game. Watching it was sucking the life out of me, even Poite looked like he didn't want to be there, I saw him sigh quite a few times when he knew there was going to be yet another delay.

Fekitoa played ok in parts and was good defensively but in possession he was hesitant and made a fair few bad decisions. He cost one and potentially two tries by not moving the ball wide and tried to back himself.

I fell asleep for around 10 minutes of that game. Watching it was sucking the life out of me, even Poite looked like he didn't want to be there, I saw him sigh quite a few times when he knew there was going to be yet another delay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    9 tries and SBW didn't get any. FML. :(

I feel your pain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What the hell is he doing even checking that?

Poite has been awful.
    If technology is there and you are any bit unsure you will check. Could be checking any manner of things

Was in a meeting so only saw the last 20 minutes or so. NZ didn't look like they went above maybe 3rd gear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

If technology is there and you are any bit unsure you will check. Could be checking any manner of things

Was in a meeting so only saw the last 20 minutes or so. NZ didn't look like they went above maybe 3rd gear...

It's hard to say but at times it looked like they went for 4th and couldn't find it. They gave away a lot of penalties at the breakdown for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There's no point at all in judging NZ based on this. Just from the amount of offloads they were attempting it wasn't remotely analogous to the type of performance we can expect from them later on. They are a scary proposition.

efb wrote: »
    44 points! Namibia beat absolutely smashed the spread!

fyp.

You'd have got ~ 33/1 on the alternative handicaps for Namibia +46

There's no point at all in judging NZ based on this. Just from the amount of offloads they were attempting it wasn't remotely analogous to the type of performance we can expect from them later on. They are a scary proposition.

Perhaps they were just having a bit of fun out there but they could easily have scored a lot more if they'd made better decisions. But again the guys making the bad decisions probably won't be the guys making decisions in bigger matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nah I reckon they'll put 100+ on them

I was closer! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So next up is Argentina v Georgia. An interesting match up. We will get an idea of where Georgia stand at the minute. Argentina will almost certainly win but can Georgia stay competitive for 80 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Berger has 100 caps for Saracens.

And is one of the hardest tacklers in the game. Great player

bilston wrote: »
    So next up is Argentina v Georgia. An interesting match up. We will get an idea of where Georgia stand at the minute. Argentina will almost certainly win but can Georgia stay competitive for 80 minutes.

Crap! Match thread!

Have to unexpectedly work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ceadog wrote: »
    Think this game really puts Ireland's result against Canada in perspective. We stuck to our game plans and were the only Tier 1 team to never really look like we were struggling against Tier 2 opposition.

Really? Ireland went 20 something minutes without scoring a point in the second half. No better or worse than the ABs.

NZ never got out of third gear. I thought Poite could have got more cards out for Namibia. They slowed the game down as much as possible at scrums and with substitutions. Fair enough for them but Poite let them do this. There are a few ABs that probably didn't help their chances of seeing more game time this tournament.

I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia get a bigger beating in the next AB match.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The quick turnaround was unfair on NZ. They were very brave to fight for the bonus point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's hard to say but at times it looked like they went for 4th and couldn't find it. They gave away a lot of penalties at the breakdown for sure

It looked like it was almost a deliberate strategy to slow the ball down whenever the opposition had it because they knew they were dominant in all the set pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Really? Ireland went 20 something minutes without scoring a point in the second half. No better or worse than the ABs.
    We had Paul O'Connell in the sin bin for ten of those minutes which put us under a fair bit of pressure not to concede points let alone scoring some.

Jonny Sexton was subbed first on 56' and we continued with rolling subs up to the 66th minute and then scored a try. So it was a bit fractured from the 42nd minute when POC was yellow carded.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i suppose its all relative.

if you take it that ireland met the common spread of -43

whereas NZ didnt come near to their spread of -75

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i suppose its all relative.

if you take it that ireland met the common spread of -43

whereas NZ didnt come near to their spread of -75

Fair enough. I personally thought both Ireland and NZ were good in parts but also had long periods of rubbish. Neither team really got out of 3rd gear. If you look at the spreads though, you are right.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fair enough. I personally thought both Ireland and NZ were good in parts but also had long periods of rubbish. Neither team really got out of 3rd gear. If you look at the spreads though, you are right.

completely agree with the bolded.
    its very hard to find that 5th gear which comes with match intensity in a game your completely dominating.

I dont expect ireland to be any different against romania on sunday either.
    It will be 'stutter'y but we should win out by 40 ish

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd love to an experiment with handicapping. Give Namibia a 30 point lead and see how long it takes NZ to overtake them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Based on little information admittedly the best 3 teams I've seen so far are NZ, Ireland and Argentina. Sucks we have to play one of them if we qualify as I don't think we have anyone else to really fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Apparently, the ABs invited the namibians in their dressing room after the game to have a beer together. Love it!

Apparently, the ABs invited the namibians in their dressing room after the game to have a beer together. Love it!

Wales and Uruguay watched whichever match was on after theirs together at the weekend too.

Might be the only person watching but how is that not double movement?

matthew8 wrote: »

He rolled. .. kind of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

matthew8 wrote: »

Because he never really stopped. I presume that's why the TMO asked for a real time replay.

Tonga all over Namibia here. Namibia may have fancied their chances after how the two sides played in the first round but it's looking very bad now at 12-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

was that not a deliberate knock on by Tonga to stop Namibia from getting a try

should they not have gotten a penalty try?

Al_Coholic wrote: »

Think so. They've got one now though :D

It was close and if it was a bigger game I'd say they'd have gone upstairs but looking at the replay I thought they made the right call. He knocks the ball upwards and gives himself a reasonable chance of catching it, so it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Think so. They've got one now though :D

its been a very enjoyable match so far

its been a very enjoyable match so far

It has. I wasn't planning on watching it but I might stick with it now.

Tonga's goal kicker is awful.

Eeek. Not sure I've ever seen someone miss a kick from right in front of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

This is grear entertainment

• Advertisement
Advertisement