Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - Agency requesting Info

Options
  • 17-09-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭

Myself and the OH went to view an apartment in Dub city centre at the start of the week and agreed with the lad from the letting agency to take it. Booking deposit paid.

Following day we were asked to send over the usual info ie. Landlord references, Work references, Bank details, Copies of ID - grand

Then they came back later and advised that "as we are managing this property on behalf of the bank they require some extra info" and asked for Utility Bills, Payslips and Bank statements for each of us. That was more than I've ever had to supply in my last 6 lettings, but gave it over none the less.

Today they have come back and said they want a full monthly Income v Expenditure outline for each of us!

Seems a bit intrusive for the sake of a letting, and also feels a lot like we are being means tested to see what max rent we can pay (lease has not yet been signed). Is this the new norm or are they taking the piss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

maximoose wrote: »
    Myself and the OH went to view an apartment in Dub city centre at the start of the week and agreed with the lad from the letting agency to take it. Booking deposit paid.

Following day we were asked to send over the usual info ie. Landlord references, Work references, Bank details, Copies of ID - grand

Then they came back later and advised that "as we are managing this property on behalf of the bank they require some extra info" and asked for Utility Bills, Payslips and Bank statements for each of us. That was more than I've ever had to supply in my last 6 lettings, but gave it over none the less.

Today they have come back and said they want a full monthly Income v Expenditure outline for each of us!

Seems a bit intrusive for the sake of a letting, and also feels a lot like we are being means tested to see what max rent we can pay (lease has not yet been signed). Is this the new norm or are they taking the piss?

That sounds ridiculous, what's the price of the rental? 5,000 per month?! I would contact the prtb and ask the legality of the request of such information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah if it was a €5k per month luxury pad I'd ALMOST understand, but it's a €1k per month apartment! :pac:

I'd like to politely tell him where to go but concerned about losing out on the place, as it was a slog to find (and get) somewhere we are happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is this the new norm or are they taking the piss?

I fear both.

Thats too much. I'd be looking elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

That sounds excessive...a quick email to the data protection commissioner would steer you in the right direction, they can act on this info too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yeah if it was a €5k per month luxury pad I'd ALMOST understand, but it's a €1k per month apartment! :pac:

I'd like to politely tell him where to go but concerned about losing out on the place, as it was a slog to find (and get) somewhere we are happy with

Its your call. If you really want it, do everything you can to get it.

There was a time when you had to lick the banks arse for a mortgage. Id draw the line at licking it for a rental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Tell them to jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would give them a two liner:

Income:
    Wages <<quote salary>>
    (leave out any others, unless they are relevant to being able to pay)

Expenses
    Rent: <<quote rent you are expecting to pay>>
    Other: <<quote estimate of what you pay on other things>>
    Savings: <<balance>>

They don't need any more detail than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ok, decided to give them some very basic, high level info:

Net Income
    -Contracted Monthly Payments
    -Monthly Utility Allowance
    Net disposable income

Also fired off a quick email to the DPC just out of curiosity. Cheers for the input all :)

Advertisement