Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC London - February 27th 2016

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

callaway92 wrote: »
    Somebody give you a lump of coal for Christmas m8? I think you need to lighten up a bit instead of being a complete grump.

Im not a grump at all,you claimed all FP cards were on bt,they're not,the last 2 cards of PVZ and Masvidal Bendo were not on BT Sports,anyways im not arguing about it I dont care tbh I wont be able to watch this live as Ill be at Bamma.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

The original BT Sport deal was contracted to cover all fox and ppv cards, fight pass didn't exist at this point for live streaming. The EMEA cards were not covered unless it was a designated FOX card (think Glasgow and Stockholm) as the UFC wanted the option to have free to air tv and due to UK broadcasting rules live fights can only be shown after 9pm

However the BT Sports deal is in the spring up and currently Sky sports are front running to show the UFC, what is the betting the UFC released the card, Sky won the London rights and the UFC upped the main?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

mmapk wrote: »
    The original BT Sport deal was contracted to cover all fox and ppv cards, fight pass didn't exist at this point for live streaming. The EMEA cards were not covered unless it was a designated FOX card (think Glasgow and Stockholm) as the UFC wanted the option to have free to air tv and due to UK broadcasting rules live fights can only be shown after 9pm

However the BT Sports deal is in the spring up and currently Sky sports are front running to show the UFC, what is the betting the UFC released the card, Sky won the London rights and the UFC upped the main?

I would fúcking hate Sky to get the ufc because it would cost me a fortune compared to nothing now as I get BT Sport free with my broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Talking about this last night and Sky will make a big play for the UFC rights. They'll have a lot of money ready to toss at it with BT winning the Champions League (among others) from them in the last bidding process.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if Silva tests positive in the lead up to this fight and it never happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

I'd love if Sky got it as we already have sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

GFT wrote: »
    I'd love if Sky got it as we already have sky sports.

I wouldn't, knowing them they would make numbered events ppvs.

ASOT wrote: »

Not to mention the increase in the already astronomical subscription fee that will go with them getting the deal.

Paully D wrote: »
    Not to mention the increase in the already astronomical subscription fee that will go with them getting the deal.

Exactly, along with not getting anywhere near the level of cover we get with BT for pre shows etc it would be a horrible move for fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

Actually you're right. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Sky have been posting a lot of mma articles, mostly about McGregor recently, they usually don't acknowledge a sport even exists unless they have it, think F1 before it came to Sky, so they must be intent on making a push for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor is exactly what sky want to start putting on ppvs. WWE is 21 per event I think. I can see similar happening with UFC.

I spoke to a few journalists about the chances of ppv in UK/IRE and they said not a chance any time soon would they even try it,not so sure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Gamebred wrote: »
    I spoke to a few journalists about the chances of ppv in UK/IRE and they said not a chance any time soon would they even try it,not so sure myself.

I'd think the same as you. Do many people watch that wwe I wonder? Not sure what criteria they set for moving something to ppv but I'd see McGregor cards as prime material! Happy with BT at the moment and what they do so hopefully no changes ahead.

I'd sky can make Joshua/Whyte a ppv they sure as hell will try make the ufc a ppv :(

I'd sky can make Joshua/Whyte a ppv they sure as hell will try make the ufc a ppv :(

Thats britains biggest star on the rise,not a hope in hell anybody will pay up a ppv fee to see Lawler and Condit next weekend,99% of the uk and ireland have no clue who they are never mind pay a ppv fee.

Thats britains biggest star on the rise,not a hope in hell anybody will pay up a ppv fee to see Lawler and Condit next weekend,99% of the uk and ireland have no clue who they are never mind pay a ppv fee.

And that still wouldn't stop sky €€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

PPV's for the UFC will never happen over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Davei141 wrote: »

I agree.

IIRC WWE events are PPV in the UK and Ireland at the insistence of Sky, not because Sky want to do it.

PPV is not the way forward. Far too many people would just stream it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Davei141 wrote:

I wouldn't say never but I'd say certainly not in the next 5 years or so. A lot of people still don't know what MMA is until you tell them it's what McGregor does. It's nowhere near popular enough to go PPV.

• Advertisement

Mousasi got Leites for the co-main in London. Leites should have got the decision over Bisping in Glasgow and Mousasi will have a point to prove after getting kicked off the Bisping match so this may be be a decent matchup.
    14 fights now. Doubt they'll move a fight onto another card with the history of injuries.

I'd guess they will bring McGregor over as one of the guest fighters.

Mousasi got Leites for the co-main in London. Leites should have got the decision over Bisping in Glasgow and Mousasi will have a point to prove after getting kicked off the Bisping match so this may be be a decent matchup.

I actually agree with you re: the Leites decision in Glasgow. I thought so watching it live in the SSE and when watching it back. However, per MMA Decisions only 2 of 18 media members gave it to Leites. You're actually the first person I've heard agree with me on the decision.

I actually agree with you re: the Leites decision in Glasgow. I thought so watching it live in the SSE and when watching it back. However, per MMA Decisions only 2 of 18 media members gave it to Leites. You're actually the first person I've heard agree with me on the decision.

Maybe because I was at the SSE aswell? I remember booing from the crowd so maybe it looked more dominant live. Also, there's very few fighters I'd be biased towards even if Bisping was a 'home' fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

No chance *any* numbered events would be on PPV in Europe for at least 5 - 10 years, the UFC need to grow the brand and they only way they can do that is via a media company willing to promote UFC to the mainstream.
    If the UFC do go to Sky i'd imagine the fighters in Ireland and the UK would welcome it with open arms, imagine the air time they would get on Sky sports news, this in turn increases their profiles and with profiles come endorsements.

After watching CB Dolloway give Bisping trouble dropping him twice,Im very confident of what ever anderson shows up ko'ing him.

• Advertisement

Manuwa bout with Krylov scrapped due to 'injury'
    Call me cynical but i'm not convinced its genuine

Call me cynical but i'm not convinced its genuine

Why wouldnt he want to fight in his hometown?

Here's the start of it now. Watch Silva fail his pre-fight test. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they'll get another opponent sorted for Krylov. Being based in Europe, Jan Blachowicz would be a good option.

Why wouldnt he want to fight in his hometown?

I'm saying UFC cut this to bring the card back to 13 fights. 2 months is plenty of time to seek a replacement, they didn't even try.
    Jimi is decent but he's not exactly a draw, never noticed him being that well supported. I'd say they offered him more money or a more favourable fight to move onto a different card. Krylov would have destroyed him in his own backyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BAMMA

13 fights? Not a patch on our 18 fights at BAMMA 24 at the 3Arena on 27th Feb, plus our event features homegrown irish talent from top to bottom. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

But...

Anderson Silva.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    But...

Anderson Silva.

giphy.gif

BAMMA wrote: »
    13 fights? Not a patch on our 18 fights at BAMMA 24 at the 3Arena on 27th Feb, plus our event features homegrown irish talent from top to bottom. ;)

I know a group of people that would love to have gone to BAMMA (including myself) if only it wasn't on the same day as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

Long shot but anyone looking to offload tickets that can't attend now?

Luke Rockhold, Forest Griffin and Big Nog confirmed as the 3 guest fighters for this.

Also, this is pretty funny:

Theres rumours on twitter that bisping is injured and romero is facing Anderson now,not seen and reputable sources report it though so probably bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Stemmed from this post from Romero lastnight it seems:
    @mixedstrikingchampionship when you train with the best you only have one thing to become at the end. February 27th event is going to be GREAT

Add in some rumours about Bisping limping at a press event or something.. could all be nonsense though

michael ‏@bisping 3m3 minutes ago
    3 more weeks. Feeling great. No injuries and in the best shape of my life , Morgan Freeman doesn't Stand a chance. @ufc @danawhite
    26 retweets 32 likes
    Reply Retweet 26
    Like 32

Seems all is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thank goodness for that. I don't particularly like him as a person but I'd love to see him win one big fight and hopefully set up a title shot for himself as a result.

I think he'll lose though and remain the gatekeeper of the division.

He has an excuse now already if he loses,didnt want to let the fans down fought through injury ect..

• Advertisement

It's probably silva that's out.

I'll jump out of the plane on the way over if this doesn't go ahead.

I'll jump out of the plane on the way over if this doesn't go ahead.

Dana might catch you mid air as he's flying over to the O2 from bamma

https://twitter.com/mma_kings/status/696792033713901568

https://twitter.com/mma_kings/status/696792258226606081

Romero won't even have his passport in time for London. ****ing clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

although already confirmed this is from the horse's mouth so to speak

https://twitter.com/bisping/status/696800850904109060

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus if it happened that Silva pulled out I would be sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Ive always liked Bisping, I know many haven't but this video is so cringeworthy. I loved Silva before he got caught juicing and I do want Bisping to win because of that.

Cant stand bisping I hope anderson highlight reel ko's his ass.

I love the way Anderson can speak perfect yet still plays the terrible English speaker card whenever gets a chance and uses a poxy translator, so annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I love the way Anderson can speak perfect yet still plays the terrible English speaker card whenever gets a chance and uses a poxy translator, so annoying.

Well he has been living in the states a few years now so I am sure his English is a lot better than it was previously.

There is a big difference between being able to speak a second language and being comfortable with it in a business or professional/formal setting, the often tonation, expressions and vocabulary used would be very different from having a casual chat. With international media coverage you are also exposed to a host of different accents in your second language. I am sure he uses a translator to ensure he is missing as little as possible.

What I find annoying is people who cannot speak any other languages criticising methods of understanding for those who do.

Advertisement