Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement TV

Options
  • 17-09-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

I bought a TV from Sony 4 years ago for €1999, this has a 5 year warranty. It has developed a panel issue and Sony have said that it cannot be repaired so have offered a replacement.
    The replacement they have offered is a model from last year and is a refurbished TV, the price of this is €800.
    Does this seem like a fair replacement ? When offering a replacement what do they have to consider ? Is it just any TV they want to offer or do they have to offer something similar in spec and price ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

You could buy new for 800e? can you get this as credit...better than refurbished.
    I think they can allow for depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭westdublin

They won't offer any credit and are unwilling to offer any other TV. This is the second TV I have had from Sony that has failed. How do they calculate depreciation ?
    Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

westdublin wrote: »
    I bought a TV from Sony 4 years ago for €1999, this has a 5 year warranty. It has developed a panel issue and Sony have said that it cannot be repaired so have offered a replacement.
    The replacement they have offered is a model from last year and is a refurbished TV, the price of this is €800.
    Does this seem like a fair replacement ? When offering a replacement what do they have to consider ? Is it just any TV they want to offer or do they have to offer something similar in spec and price ?

Your 4 year old TV is nearly worthless now so an €800 2015 model TV might be a very good offer.

davo10 wrote: »
    Your 4 year old TV is nearly worthless now so an €800 2015 model TV might be a very good offer.

I agree a lot has changed in 4 years, the one they are offering is a refurbished model from 2014. Is it a matter of having to accept whatever they offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have they said what warranty they will offer with the replacement TV? If they were offering another 5 years I would jump at the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

When I worked in electrical retail we would always push to get the customer equal or better spec. Price changes with time. €1000 t this year can be got for €500 next year. providing its not a step down in quality id take it

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    When I worked in electrical retail we would always push to get the customer equal or better spec. Price changes with time. €1000 t this year can be got for €500 next year. providing its not a step down in quality id take it

Thanks for the reply. Would it be a new TV that you would have offered or a refurbished one ? In regards to the quality how do you measure this, is it just based on spec alone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Quality is subjective but one of equivalent spec or higher from the same brand would be a good indicator. It's not like Sony are offering a low spec chinese TV. A factory refurbished TV would be of equal quality to an identical new TV. You might not have much choice, the terms of the guarantee are unlikely to provide for a monetary refund.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Quality is subjective but one of equivalent spec or higher from the same brand would be a good indicator. It's not like Sony are offering a low spec chinese TV. A factory refurbished TV would be of equal quality to an identical new TV. You might not have much choice, the terms of the guarantee are unlikely to provide for a monetary refund.

Hi slimjimmc, thanks for the reply, would i be within my rights to ask for a new and not refurbished one ? Im not looking for a refund.
    With the spec thing, would this mean that if you bought a top of the range TV now and it fails next year that you could be offered an entry level model if the technology had changed in the mean time meaning the entry model had an equal or better spec ?

Im weary about the refurb one as this will be the third sony tv in 5.5 years as the one before this failed twice, so when they were replacing it I paid extra to receive a better model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did you buy the TV directly from Sony?
    If not then I take it you are claiming under the manufacturer's guarantee so you're subject to whatever T&Cs are written into that guarantee.
    I think most people would consider an entry model to be a fair replacement if it meets or exceeds the spec of the old tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'll need to look more into it OP. TV tech doesn't change much but even 5 years ago €1999 would have been an 'enthusiast' model.

If the specs match or better the current TV then it sounds fair to me.

4 year old €2K TV is worth around €800 if taken through the retailer by my calculations.

Is this a specific extended warranty like Dixons or was it the Sony warranty? Either way check the T&Cs, statutory rights are going to be harder to enforce and you will probably end up where you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Is a 2k TV expected to last only 4 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is a 2k TV expected to last only 4 years?

Nobody said that. Indeed quite the opposite as a replacement is being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - did you buy directly from Sony, or some other retailer?

dudara wrote: »
    OP - did you buy directly from Sony, or some other retailer?

I bought it from a Sony centre, no longer in business but the 5 year warranty came from Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nobody said that. Indeed quite the opposite as a replacement is being offered.

Ah i misread, thought it was the 2nd replacement of the tv he got. Never mind!

Ah i misread, thought it was the 2nd replacement of the tv he got. Never mind!

I bought the first one from Sony five and half years ago, that failed twice so they offered me a replacement (current one) four years ago. This replacement was new not refurbished.

There is nothing on the warranty card about offering only a refurbished TV, just that they will replace if it cannot be repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

westdublin wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Would it be a new TV that you would have offered or a refurbished one ? In regards to the quality how do you measure this, is it just based on spec alone ?

Ah was a big retailer. We would always replace with new and then fight with the supplier. But we would have to take it and get checked by technicians to make sure there was no damage or misuse. It would generally take 2 or 3 weeks which sounds unreasonable but they do have to cover themselves. Yeah like what do people generally buy tvs on. Usually Definition and size if were being honest. Not many would be up to speed on Hz, Contrast Ratio etc. Normally we'd replace with new tv, or offer credit to buy something different. Would cost us the same amount so would leave it up to the customer.

Behing honest I still tend to buy warranties in these places, Used to hate selling them, but usually get 5 or 6 years for about 60 quid. I know we have statatory rights but they take along time and conflict. Ive always found when something developed a fault it was about a week of a wait and then sorted. Some cases within an hour. Ill get slammed here but oh well.

Advertisement