Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of WinForms

Options
  • 17-09-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I'm looking at new roles and I've been contacted about a few involving WinForms. I have experience with it but I have a suspicion that it's on its way out as a technology. Any thoughts or insights about its future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm looking at new roles and I've been contacted about a few involving WinForms. I have experience with it but I have a suspicion that it's on its way out as a technology. Any thoughts or insights about its future?

It has already been replaced by WPF.
    I still like it when I just need a very basic user interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As BrokenArrows has stated, WPF has replaced it. There is still a huge amount of Winforms work out there though. Many places are happy to stick with their old WinForms applications once the application is working well. WPF can be quite a hard sell when you sit down with the application owners. Performance and reliability tend to supersede a funky UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Yeah seems like there's more WinForms work than WPF which is a bit weird. The official line seems to be that WinForms will coexist with WPF but I think you might both be right. Reckon it's reflected by Oracle firmly shoving a resistant userbase towards their markup-based JavaFX instead of Swing.

Advertisement