Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for college

Options
  • 17-09-2015 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Evening folks,

I'm looking for a bare bones laptop for college on the cheap, the course itself is computer systems and networking. There will be lots of java coding etc. What brands would you recommend? Or models would be even better. Im willing to spend a couple hundred on it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

There is a specific Laptop forum that might be worth a shot.

From experience, most brands are grand. I've fixed up a few laptops for friends so I personally avoid Toshiba anyway. Asus are decent.
    Anything really works tbh. There are some solid laptops in Currys/PC World at the moment on sale for reasonable prices. Nothing below 750€ will play games (at any decent fps anyway) so you might aswell ignore gaming on it. Avoid the cheap AMD laptops. The E1-XXXX chips are completely useless. A decent intel chip is advisable or at least a higher end AMD. Even the cheap Celeron intel processor is alright these days.
    Ignore touchscreen laptops. Think about reaching out and touching your screen. Feels unnatural doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bangadrum

Xenoronin wrote: »
    There is a specific Laptop forum that might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the heads up!
    I wouldn't be interested in playing games on it, solely a networking and coding laptop :)

I'll have a look into asus laptops, cheers for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Whatever you decide to go with leave ~€100 spare so you can get and SSD yourself and stick it in instead (very easy to do). It'll mean you end up with a much snappier machine than you could ever hope to buy for the same price.

Advertisement