Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cleaning a filthy bike question?.

• 17-09-2015 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

My son bought his first bike last week, it was rough as a bears arse but we got it at the right price.

It was running like sh*t, the throttle was sticking, idle was non-existent but when I got that sorted the idling speed would hardly drop below 3000rpm.

There was no front brake to speak of (sorted now)..

Well I pulled the carbs out yesterday, if you've ever pulled the carbs out of an SV650 you'll know I had a royal pain in the ass doing it.

Anyway, everything under the tank is filthy, everything!.. There's hardly a thing not covered in mud and grime.

Before putting the carbs back I'd like to give it a proper cleandown (I'll post pix).

Without the carbs (the socks are blocking the piston inlet ports.

362785.jpg

362786.jpg

The the throttle close/push cable (lube or replace???), its totally dry and rusty.

362788.jpg

And finally, just for your curiosity ~ rust (and varnishing) inside the float bowl!!.

362789.jpg

One of the main jets in the carbs was almost totally blocked, clear now.

So, cleaning the engine, frame etc (basically anything under the tank and fairing) what would you guys recommend?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Get Swarfega Jizzer (motorfactors) or any orther good de greaser fill up a spray bottle and apply liberally to the whole area, wait 10-15 mins and get the water bottles in woodies that you pump yourself and spray the whole area (being careful) with warm water. There is very little pressure from the manual pumped water bottle so not intrusive. After that cleaning (maybe twice) you will know where you stand.

Just replace cables, and ACF50 the lot when finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

muckoff degreaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Get Swarfega Jizzer (motorfactors) or any orther good de greaser fill up a spray bottle and apply liberally to the whole area, wait 10-15 mins and get the water bottles in woodies that you pump yourself and spray the whole area (being careful) with warm water. There is very little pressure from the manual pumped water bottle so not intrusive. After that cleaning (maybe twice) you will know where you stand.

Just replace cables, and ACF50 the lot when finished.

Cheers, I know I shouldn't be asking but this is seriously the dirtiest bike I've ever come across. The photos don't even do it justice.

I think after all this work that you're right on the cables, change the fecking things.

Should be a lovely bike once its finished, its just manky under a nice fairing!.

He'll need a new seat (or a recover) and after his test I'll put on a nice stubby can for him too

362791.jpg

Notch000 wrote: »
    muckoff degreaser

I actually never thought of that and I use it for my bicycles all the time, I've loads of the stuff!.

Might give it a try but Wonda's idea might be best given the extent of grime on this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

I swear by Muc-off myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm a cheap bastard and use Tyga soup.
    50-50 diesel and water.
    half a cup of cheap washing powder, value range with whiteners.
    Mix it up until it looks like soup.
    Brush on with a washing up brush or a stiff bristled brush like a cut down paintbrush.
    leave for 15 mins and rinse off with water.
    There will be spots you've missed so go back and do them again.
    Rinse off and dry and your good to go.
    Diesel lifts oil and grease and the washing powder will lift grime.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'm a cheap bastard and use Tyga soup.
    50-50 diesel and water.
    half a cup of cheap washing powder, value range with whiteners.
    Mix it up until it looks like soup.
    Brush on with a washing up brush or a stiff bristled brush like a cut down paintbrush.
    leave for 15 mins and rinse off with water.
    There will be spots you've missed so go back and do them again.
    Rinse off and dry and your good to go.
    Diesel lifts oil and grease and the washing powder will lift grime.

I haven't done that one in years!.

Think I'll try the Muck Off first because I've a few bottles of it here for my bicycles (yes I'm an avid cyclist).

About the cables, they're 13 years old and look like they've never been lubed. The throttle was stick as f*ck, but there was so much sh*t on everything its hard to tell what was causing the stiffness.. Worth lubing, or just replace @ €22:50 each (can't find spurious).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I haven't done that one in years!.

Think I'll try the Muck Off first because I've a few bottles of it here for my bicycles (yes I'm an avid cyclist).

About the cables, they're 13 years old and look like they've never been lubed. The throttle was stick as f*ck, but there was so much sh*t on everything its hard to tell what was causing the stiffness.. Worth lubing, or just replace @ €22:50 each (can't find spurious).
    No argument, buy new.
    Ride in confidence.
    When cables get that bad they are brittle inside as well.
    Nice smooth throttle action makes for a better experience.
    Don't forget the lever pivots, I bet they are dry as well.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't forget the lever pivots, I bet they are dry as well.

Dry and tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Dry and tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm.
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i'd probably replace the cables. Is that rear disk worn? I have one sat in the shed that you are welcome to (i think) from a TL1000r, which i think will fit.

lennymc wrote: »
    i'd probably replace the cables. Is that rear disk worn? I have one sat in the shed that you are welcome to (i think) from a TL1000r, which i think will fit.

Cheers, but I checked that and there's very little wear on the bike.. Its just been a neglected bike really.

Thanks for the very kind offer all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

have a look at a fender extender - the sv's are a bit notorious for drowning their front sparkplug hole, which causes a few issues.. as you can imagine

Wossack wrote: »
    have a look at a fender extender - the sv's are a bit notorious for drowning their front sparkplug hole, which causes a few issues.. as you can imagine

Thanks for the reminder, I'd read that one. Most of the fouling and grime is up around the front carbs and cylinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Thanks for the reminder, I'd read that one. Most of the fouling and grime is up around the front carbs and cylinder.

You can also buy a specific plug lead for them too.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You can also buy a specific plug lead for them too.

Jeeze, this bike will cost my lad a fortune :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jeeze, this bike will cost my lads dad a fortune :p

FYP :P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheers, I know I shouldn't be asking but this is seriously the dirtiest bike I've ever come across. The photos don't even do it justice.

I think after all this work that you're right on the cables, change the fecking things.

Should be a lovely bike once its finished, its just manky under a nice fairing!.

He'll need a new seat (or a recover) and after his test I'll put on a nice stubby can for him too

362791.jpg
    That's the manky bike?? Looks clean to me!
    Lidl have engine degreaser in a spray can, costs about a euro. That and muck off.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's the manky bike?? Looks clean to me!
    Lidl have engine degreaser in a spray can, costs about a euro. That and muck off.

The carb bodies and everything in that general area are filthy, esp the front carb, cylinder, frame and wiring in that area.

Its all in the photos in post #1

Advertisement