Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boiler aadvice needed for spec

• 17-09-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I need to get a new boiler as my Potterton Suprima 50 (bad name 'Suprima'!) is about to kick the bucket after many years of problems, pcb boards and various bits and pieces.
    Anyway I'm not entirely sure of what I should get.

From reading posts it seems the Worcester 24kw is what i'll go for as it seems to be reliable.

The rads I have are excellent (old but retain heat well and never needed bleeding in 15 years) but don't have any thermostat controls. It's a small house 2 up 2 down. Is it worth getting 2 zones - one for water and one for heating? I believe your BER rating will be improved with this?

Is there a simple digital timer out there (one you don't need a PhD to understand!) or should I just stick with my manual one (which is very easy)?

Do I need to specify anything else?

Also a problem I had whenever I turned on the heat, there was a lot of creaking under the floorboards - don't know what this is.

What are average costs does anyone know?

So many questions - would be most grateful for any advice offered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Ailsabt wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need to get a new boiler as my Potterton Suprima 50 (bad name 'Suprima'!) is about to kick the bucket after many years of problems, pcb boards and various bits and pieces.
    Anyway I'm not entirely sure of what I should get.

From reading posts it seems the Worcester 24kw is what i'll go for as it seems to be reliable.

The rads I have are excellent (old but retain heat well and never needed bleeding in 15 years) but don't have any thermostat controls. It's a small house 2 up 2 down. Is it worth getting 2 zones - one for water and one for heating? I believe your BER rating will be improved with this?

Is there a simple digital timer out there (one you don't need a PhD to understand!) or should I just stick with my manual one (which is very easy)?

Do I need to specify anything else?

Also a problem I had whenever I turned on the heat, there was a lot of creaking under the floorboards - don't know what this is.

What are average costs does anyone know?

So many questions - would be most grateful for any advice offered.

Good choice with the boiler but I'd go with a 18kw Worcester with a magnetic filter fitted to it.
    The system will need to be flushed some recommend a chemical flush others will say a power flush but you say your rads are excellent so I'd say you will be fine with a chemical flush.

I'd also split the heating into two zones one for water and one for heating and put trvs on all other radiators for extra control.

As for timers I find eph programmers are very easy to use would put in about 90 a year and never had anyone that couldn't use them.

The creaking from the floor boards is more or less the heating pipes expanding when the heating is on. Not a lot can be done about this now as it the way it was plumbed from day one.

Cost of new boiler and 2 zone heating controls would be around 3000 to 3500.
    It would qualify you for seai grant of 700 for heating up grade and 50 euro towards the BER which would cost another 120 to 170 euro.

Also some energy companies will offer credits for a job like this. I know electric ireland would give you 616 euro credit to your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Good choice with the boiler but I'd go with a 18kw Worcester with a magnetic filter fitted to it.
    The system will need to be flushed some recommend a chemical flush others will say a power flush but you say your rads are excellent so I'd say you will be fine with a chemical flush.

I'd also split the heating into two zones one for water and one for heating and put trvs on all other radiators for extra control.

As for timers I find eph programmers are very easy to use would put in about 90 a year and never had anyone that couldn't use them.

The creaking from the floor boards is more or less the heating pipes expanding when the heating is on. Not a lot can be done about this now as it the way it was plumbed from day one.

It would qualify you for seai grant of 700 for heating up grade and 50 euro towards the BER which would cost another 120 to 170 euro.

Also some energy companies will offer credits for a job like this. I know electric ireland would give you 616 euro credit to your account.

Is the 3-3.5k including or excluding the grant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

colm_c wrote: »
    Is the 3-3.5k including or excluding the grant?
    Excluding any grants

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ailsabt

Thanks Roy for the great info there. Didn't know that about the energy companies. Will check it out! Every penny counts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You should definitely go for a 3 zone system Hot Water, Downstairs heating and upstairs heating. That way you will make a big saving on Gas. Plus with the heat rising naturally there will be nights when you wont need to put the heating on at all for upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

You may have very little savings on Gas. depends really on how smart you are.

same issues apply here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057495534

Advertisement