Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Builder be paid?

Options
  • 17-09-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭

My Brother got some work done on his bathroom. Plumbing/Tiling etc. While he was out the tiler broke a door. Is he within his rights to refuse to pay until the door is fixed?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

He would not be justified in withholding the full price of the job but he could justify withholding a reasonable amount which is necessary for rectifying the damage if the tiler doesn't sort the door at his own (or his insurer's) expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Was the builder an insured tradesman or a guy doing a nixer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Is the builder and the tiler the same person? Is it a Insuranced Trades Person or a person working under the counter? Did the builder employ the Tiler or did your brother hire him directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Has the tiler admitted breaking the door or it in dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

builder,tiler,registered,insured,cash job what ever, if this lad is decent he will sort the damage if he hasn't flagged he done the damage bring it to attention.but if you cannot prove he damaged it.but if he denies the damage its not going to be an easy one.

What sort of damage has been done

• Advertisement
Advertisement