Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounted garda

Options
  • 17-09-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Yesterday night mounted Garda were riding around Templars halls. Then later on they were in town they were up by crystal nightclub. There must be something serious for mounted Garda to be in Waterford and also the increased Garda around Templars hall? Can anyone explain this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Students are back. Wednesday is their weekly night out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Sully wrote: »
    Students are back. Wednesday is their weekly night out too.

I know I am one but Garda on horses don't be around waterford they only stationed in Dublin only

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

good to see the gardai are stepping up things to deal with these people. very annoying, even upsetting for the residents of templars hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Who cleans up the sh*t the horses leave behind? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Seriously you are putting it down to students??

Here in Dublin the thousands go out every week night and it's generally civil and you see the odd Garda walking around particularly after closing and the rest they just take a drive around.

What sort of breeds does WIT attract....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Here in Dublin the thousands go out every week night and it's generally civil and you see the odd Garda walking around particularly after closing and the rest they just take a drive around.

we re wondering that ourselves. it gets fairly ugly during college term here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

This is just testiment to the a section of wildeen that come to college in waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Waterford does have a name for getting a very bad breed of student who go nuts once there let free a lot more then say some where like Limerick and Cork who do have there problems but anyone i have ever spoke to about when i told them i was a student in waterford they would say to me its fairly nuts there on a night out. But having said that i lived in railway square 3 out of my 4 years in waterford and i never get seen or heard any problems around there as the one thing i used to love about the student apartments there was on a whensday night there was a door man on the door come 9pm and no one with out a key card was alaod in to the apartments but if your friends with the door man you can get a few of your friends in but you do have house parties there.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    we re wondering that ourselves. it gets fairly ugly during college term here

It does up around Templers i was lucky to never have any problems up there myself when i used to live there but i have seen some load of crazy stuff up there as house partys up there can get really out of control from any i was at up there this year 50 + people in a small 3 bedroom house there will be problems. While i have seen endless amounts of fights around the place and if your not asleep up there before the students come back after a night out you wont sleep at all. But i have seen bins towed over, Bins set on fire, one night a car wrapped in loo roll ended up in our drive way. I still don't get the caze of students wonting to live up there as myself i did like the going out and the partys but i hate to be living around them all the time as templers is a bit mad for me.

But i don't paint everyone with the same brush up there as there is loads of good students its the 1% of bad ones that gives everyone up there a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

obezyana wrote: »

Who cleans up the sh*t the students leave in their wake? :mad:

Who cleans up the sh*t the students leave in their wake? :mad:

Thats quite true up there can be very very dirty at times. With Rubbish everywhere in the place. Any time my mother or father used to drop me down to templers on a sunday they used to always say how dirty the place is and its in a need of power wash LoL

• Advertisement

Interesting, guess if WIT was a uni it would attract more brains as points would be like literally double what they are now!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

some students are the vermon of society. no interest in what there studying just here to get pissed and cause trouble. could say something but could offend people so ill leave it off.

id close the dome or stop them from selling alcohol. its a college not a drinking club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Students going to college for the “social life” is a general problem with the third level entry system in Ireland along with bad student behaviour it is nothing particular to Waterford. This “in Dublin the thousands go out every week night and it's generally civil” and “Waterford does have a name for getting a very bad breed of student” is a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

The issue in Templars Hall is not just the students.
    Yes they initiate the parties, loud noise, etc. but from knowing a long term resident there he has said that on numerous occasions once the late night parties kick off that a number of undesirables from neighbouring areas/estates tend to appear causing an escalation in the anti social behaviour.

I'm not saying students are angels, but there's definitely more to it in Templars Hall than just bad students.

On a side note, yesterday morning I passed 2 Garda cars flying down the Abbey road in Ferrybank will all sirens go - about 7:15am.
    Anyone know what was happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I saw the horses and just figured it to be some training thing. Maybe I'm missing something but what use would mounted garda be in a housing estate filled with unruly students? Dunno.

Too be fair Us students aren't bad. There hasn't been much parties in Templars yet from what I've seen but no way Gaurda on horse back would be needed for students. Mounted Garda are only used for protests and riots not for drunk students, it could the state a lot of money every time the mounted Garda are used. The mounted Garda are from Dublin, you aren't stationed down in Waterford. For them to be here is very serious. I deffo say it's not the students it's something else. And you know what's worse, they started to put water meters in Templars and with freshers week around the corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

They are patrolling the Motor mile to control the crowds of ex glass workers swarming the place throwing their new cash at the car salesmen.......
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Too be fair Us students aren't bad. There hasn't been much parties in Templars yet from what I've seen but no way Gaurda on horse back would be needed for students. Mounted Garda are only used for protests and riots not for drunk students, it could the state a lot of money every time the mounted Garda are used. The mounted Garda are from Dublin, you aren't stationed down in Waterford. For them to be here is very serious. I deffo say it's not the students it's something else. And you know what's worse, they started to put water meters in Templars and with freshers week around the corner

A few students just need to learn from manners and a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A few students just need to learn from manners and a bit of cop on.

Not to mention how to use a bit of grammar and punctuation.:pac::pac:

Mugser wrote: »
    Not to mention how to use a bit of grammar and punctuation.:pac::pac:

I don't know if that's appointed to me or someone else but I have found out they are here because of the water meters being put in Templars hall. Will be war next week I say when the meters go in, there is to be protests next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Nite Klub

I'm all for mounting them, I've mounted one or two in my time, gave them a great ride.

I don't know if that's appointed to me or someone else but I have found out they are here because of the water meters being put in Templars hall. Will be war next week I say when the meters go in, there is to be protests next week.

They have already started to go in .... I don't even live in Waterford anymore and I know this. Seen a video on Facebook with the protests found them to be quite funny the people protesting up in templers.

I think I seen a video there last week when a garda said to a guy protesting if you put as much effort into protesting you will have a job to pay for your water lol.

But on topic templers hall is nuts no idea why a student won't to live up there. Everyone I mean everyone who has lived up there as story's they can tell you about the place.

When I was viewing places up there before me and my father walked about 5 steps into some houses and walked back out that's how bad they where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

a grand a month to live there too, thats highway robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am the "Dick Turpin"of templars hall

Were they present when the Water "wasters" sorry protesters got arrested today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

obezyana wrote: »
    We had the mounties at school last year, the riders were telling us that if the horses dung on a path, they radio the local station and someone (usually whichever garda draws the short straw) is dispatched to scoop. The two horses that visited us don't tend to pee on concrete and will usually wait to be on grass to do so.

The Mounted Unit travel as PR but also as an extra visible support, nothing like a ton of Irish Draft coming at you to make you move out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Saw the 'drama' on Facebook from earlier today out kilcohan way. I've commented on the 'peacefulness' of these protesters before on their Facebook pages and comments were quickly deleted and I was banned for 'undermining their good cause' the page administrators heavily sensor the comments. today there are claims that a 'lady' was slammed to a footpath and seriously injured by a Garda and then left there.......the protesters had to call an ambulance, strangely given the density of camera phones not one of the 'peaceful protesters' managed to get footage of the incident! They seem to concentrate on illustrating by video clips Garda brutality such as violent pushing and shoving of protesters as they clog up and block streets within estates as they 'slow march' Irish water contractors machinery' and argue with the guards about 1. what a reasonable walking pace is 2. that they have every right to film them but not visa versa 3. That they have every right under the constitution to obstruct traffic assemble where they like on public roads 4. All arrests that they make are illegal and that they have no clue about their duties and powers 5 we r living in a neo-facist state owned and run by 'Dennis o'brien'.

If mounted police appear It will further confirm to them the conspiracy that O'Brien runs the country and the politicians bow to his every request

The Facebook comments and video clips if you have the time to look At some of them are comical,light entertainment even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Road-Hog wrote: »
    insert high horsey rant here

The Facebook comments and video clips if you have the time to look At some of them are comical,light entertainment even

EtE7S5g.jpg

glad you find the collapse of democracy entertaining! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

EtE7S5g.jpg

glad you find the collapse of democracy entertaining! :)

So would you like to be governed and policed by the 'peaceful protester' types....?

Advertisement