Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#PeoplesDebate #VinB #ShoutyTime

Options
  • 17-09-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Peoples Debate for the Carlow-Kilkenny Constituency on in the (Woodford) Dolmen Hotel (next) Monday night the 21st of September.

No Tickets reqd.

Audience expected to assemble at 7pm for an 8pm start to recording (or earlier if possible cos Vinny has to be fed & watered before his 11pm Show!).

Programme airs Wednesday the 23rd of September from 10pm to 12 Midnight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A magnet for every loon going. I wouldn't even watch it let alone go along.
    All the same crap and whiners ad nauseum with their conspiracy theories...Irish water, the bankers, Denis Obrien in circles. Yawn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    A magnet for every loon going. I wouldn't even watch it let alone go along.
    All the same crap and whiners ad nauseum with their conspiracy theories...Irish water, the bankers, Denis Obrien in circles. Yawn.

It's so true, people worry about crap that's beyond their control or has little effect on their lives, also blaming things that have no relevance to their lives for their own live's mismanagement/ misfortune. I was going on a bit about that until my brother said it to me and I realised that the further crap happens away from my doorstep, the less I should care about it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Sorry my friends, yes of course there are always those who like to disrupt genuine concerns with as you say crap, however we get this on Boards so nothing new, one has to ignore such attempts to derail the freedom of speech. I honestly believe that most of those who take the trouble to post have some very valid views. If you stay away and do not contribute then we are being subservient to the trash at the bottom of the pile.
    Foxy in political mode should half the Dail be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I look forward to moans about nonuniform paving in Kilkenny on the VB show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Why didn't JP/Pat get the pothole filled outside of my little Johnny/Marys School? :)

Am real worried this is the type of debate we'll get Monday night; don't want the constituency embarrassed and if that shower of either of the counties anti water charges movement rock up we could be humiliated on national TV!

• Advertisement

No
    Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Why didn't JP/Pat get the pothole filled outside of my little Johnny/Marys School? :)

Am real worried this is the type of debate we'll get Monday night; don't want the constituency embarrassed and if that shower of either of the counties anti water charges movement rock up we could be humiliated on national TV!
    No, the only people humiliating themselves will be those who believe free speech includes physical intimidation of those with differing or impartial opinions.

I bet the Gardai will be either on standby or actually present after recent disruptions at this show.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Can't be any worse than the Waterford one, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wonders if it will be a series of 'Daithi, please stay quiet' and 'Daithi, Please stop interrupting people' as it was for the by election debate on VinB.
    Maybe Daithi will be banned.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Wonders if it will be a series of 'Daithi, please stay quiet' and 'Daithi, Please stop interrupting people' as it was for the by election debate on VinB.
    Daithi does come with a health warning!
    oCOF9Tk.jpg

RobertKK wrote: »

The calibre of candidates was truly autricious, culminating in the election of Bobby Alyward which was the ultimate embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The calibre of candidates was truly autricious, culminating in the election of Bobby Alyward which was the ultimate embarrassment.

To be fair, he was only put forward because McGunniess wanted to protect his patch...gota keep things good for when the son wants to run after all.

Also from what I understand both Alyward and McGunniess voted no in May as well....don't want to upset the mass goers

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair, he was only put forward because McGunniess wanted to protect his patch...gota keep things good for when the son wants to run after all.

Also from what I understand both Alyward and McGunniess voted no in May as well....don't want to upset the mass goers

But the next day we had John Mc on KCLR praising yes voters and a local chap from Freshford that had spoken of his experiences growing up. So yea, he'll blow whatever way he feels the wind is blowing. But if people are stupid enough to vote FF again after how they ran the country last time, it's their own funeral.
    I'm voting FG next time and making no bones about it as they are the only ones that can properly manage the country and the economy. I'm very happy with what they did with the sham FF handed then in early 2011 and they moved on liberal issues like SSM which backward and gutless FF wouldn't touch, for fear of hurting their massgoers (which thankfully are reducing ).
    So these ANother nutters and welfare junkies can "debate" all they like about about social justice and outrage about so called "austerity", I for one won't be listening. As a working person who pays for everything, I just want stability, growth and at last a reduction in crippling taxes. They don't offer this and never will.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But the next day we had John Mc on KCLR praising yes voters and a local chap from Freshford that had spoken of his experiences growing up. So yea, he'll blow whatever way he feels the wind is blowing.

To be fair he's good at it, you can't fault him on that.
    He did no campaigning for the yes side as far as I'm aware and out of all the partys I only saw Labour up with yes posters for the ref but yet he'll come on the radio and take the credit. Impressive really.
    I'm voting FG next time and making no bones about it as they are the only ones that can properly manage the country and the economy. I'm very happy with what they did with the sham FF handed then in early 2011 and they moved on liberal issues like SSM which backward and gutless FF wouldn't touch, for fear of hurting their massgoers (which thankfully are reducing ).
    So these ANother nutters and welfare junkies can "debate" all they like about about social justice and outrage about so called "austerity", I for one won't be listening. As a working person who pays for everything, I just want stability, growth and at last a reduction in crippling taxes. They don't offer this and never will.

To be honest I'm not going to be critical of who you vote for, its not my place nor is it anybody else. All I care about when people vote is they look at the policy's, look at whats actually been done and make an informed vote.

When it comes to FG they've made some good decisions like free GP for under 6's and they've made some bloody awful decisions like how they rolled out IW but then no party is perfect in the history of any government so you'll have that.

In some respects the same can be said for FF, Greens etc. But anyone that is dumb enough to believe that a party will deliver on everything it promises deserves all they get.

The same as anyone who makes an uninformed vote...and there's alot of them! Anyone who voted for FG in last election but doesn't agree with water charges made an uninformed vote. FG's manifesto clearly said water charges (I know cause I noted it at the time) and people voted for this policy by voting FG....then they moaned when they got it. :confused:

You can't please everyone I guess...has to be awful confusing for the political partys when people vote for stuff and then complain when they get it.
    :p

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair he's good at it, you can't fault him on that.
    He did no campaigning for the yes side as far as I'm aware and out of all the partys I only saw Labour up with yes posters for the ref but yet he'll come on the radio and take the credit. Impressive really.

To be honest I'm not going to be critical of who you vote for, its not my place nor is it anybody else. All I care about when people vote is they look at the policy's, look at whats actually been done and make an informed vote.

When it comes to FG they've made some good decisions like free GP for under 6's and they've made some bloody awful decisions like how they rolled out IW but then no party is perfect in the history of any government so you'll have that.

In some respects the same can be said for FF, Greens etc. But anyone that is dumb enough to believe that a party will deliver on everything it promises deserves all they get.

The same as anyone who makes an uninformed vote...and there's alot of them! Anyone who voted for FG in last election but doesn't agree with water charges made an uninformed vote. FG's manifesto clearly said water charges (I know cause I noted it at the time) and people voted for this policy by voting FG....then they moaned when they got it. :confused:

You can't please everyone I guess...has to be awful confusing for the political partys when people vote for stuff and then complain when they get it.
    :p

Water charges are a very minor issue for me, almost to the point of irrelevance. They'll have no bearing on how I vote as the alternative under FF/SF is far worse and water charges would be the least of my worries; I'd fear for my job tbh if either were in power. FF on post record and SF in NI. I'll pass on both. The rest are just chaotic non sense, Renua etc etc.

Given the state of the finances post-FF it was inevitable we would see a continuation of high taxes and/or the introduction of a few others. Just because Enda Kenny wasn't announcing them 24/7 doesn't really bother me at the this stage. I've pretty much made my mind after weighing up all they've done and in particular where we were after FF end of 2010. I think as we move closer to the actual voting, reality will start to dawn with a lot more people (particularly workers/contributors to society) as to where their vote is safest. That's the current govt and or in as close a shape as possible to that format.

I went.

As it happens I thought the issue of Irish Water that seems to dominate most of these Peoples Debates wasn't discussed or mentioned (& I was making copious amounts of notes throughout, maybe 4-5 Pages worth....) at all until afterwards someone said it did get a mention.

Maybe it did but it wasn't anything approaching relevance or high on the agenda.

We're a rural constituency & a figure tonight, can't verify it mind, was told to me by a politician, that 45% of People in the CW/KK Constituency already pay water rates (privately/residentially etc. I think he meant as opposed to commercially although that would, I assume include farms where the farmhouse is part of the commercial business that is a farm).

It's just not an issue in rural Ireland, even between the city, towns & villages there's a huge difference of opinion.

If anyone wants my notes ahead of the Wednesday night broadcast, PM me your emails or if any other questions just holler.

Also FYI, no sign of the Independent Republican himself!

Though Kilkennys least favourite photographer & the Citys Chief Islamophobe, Xenophobe, Homophobe and er, "Druid" was there; he was sat behind the row of declared candidates (all of the runners & riders from May bar Daithi, so including Noelie Walsh/e!) so you'll be seeing plenty of him on Wednesday night from 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Perhaps someone will put me right, water charges, we have been paying charges for the past years without any protest, we have our own well, it cost us to sink it in the first place, then build a pump house, plus installing a pump and a water purification set up, which is serviced every year, the money comes from our own pocket, so why the great fuss, though I can see the quango to run IW is over the top, no doubt jobs for the boys. What was wrong with the council running water schemes, which they have done without all the ballyhoo.
    Perhaps I am off tack but there appears to be very little difference between FG and FF, do voters put their cross against a candidate who they believe would be best for the job or is it my parents voted and their parents voted so I will irrespective.
    Indiscriminate voting is really a sin, one is not getting the best candidate, though of the past I feel it mattered very little, the public have made some dire choices, and if taken the whole spectrum this is reflected in the local council.
    One has only to look at the UK political scene, what has gone on is nothing to be proud of, in fact the establishment should be ashamed, no doubt there are genuine people, perhaps we should look at the church, a sad reflection on society, which is now paying for it's lack of morals.
    At the end of these things words are invariably a lot of hot air, little seems to be accomplished.
    Foxy

Grew up on a farm. Own well plus yearly cost of maintaining a well or two. Those pumps are expensive to maintain not to mention the cost of digging well. Could never get my head around this "free water" lark and the sense of entitlement attached to it. It's the usual pay for nothing's making all the noise.

Some people think the state exists so they can live at everyone else's expense.

I'm tempted to start a Santa Party to rival AAA.

catbear wrote: »
    Some people think the state exists so they can live at everyone else's expense.

I'm tempted to start a Santa Party to rival AAA.

Unfortunately there's a very deeply ingrained entitlement culture going on now. It's developed the past 30 years or so in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My brother is big into fair society and other leftie nonsense, which really doesn't sit well with me. My issue is that I am not wealthy but I would like to be, if you take away my opportunity (hope) to get wealthy why would I bother trying?

My brother is big into fair society and other leftie nonsense, which really doesn't sit well with me. My issue is that I am not wealthy but I would like to be, if you take away my opportunity (hope) to get wealthy why would I bother trying?
    The compromise is welfare state capitalism, everyone paying roughly the same percentage of income in return for the essentials for a basic standard of living.
    Taxing someone more for earning more punishes initiative and rewards paying less tax.

catbear wrote: »
    The compromise is welfare state capitalism, everyone paying roughly the same percentage of income in return for the essentials for a basic standard of living.
    Taxing someone more for earning more punishes initiative and rewards paying less tax.

There are many ideals but unfortunately wherever there is money there is corruption and I believe that there will be too many corrupt for a fair society to be achieved in my lifetime.

There are many ideals but unfortunately wherever there is money there is corruption and I believe that there will be too many corrupt for a fair society to be achieved in my lifetime.
    As I said it's a compromise. It's impossible to design a system so perfect that nobody needs to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When it came to the economy, FG/Lab implemented the FF/Troika plan with concessions received due to Greece getting concessions. Most of the plan didn't change, no bondholders were burned as they said would happen, and they didn't get rid of the Anglo debt, just pushed it into the future.
    I just laugh when FG and Labour take credit for the economic recovery, they basically followed the plan given to them with some concessions thrown in.
    So the economic recovery can be credited to three parties in my opinion, the FF/troika plan worked, and the FG/Lab government carried it out.
    I think people should be realistic, and of the main parties these are the only parties who don't think anyone making money is somehow doing something wrong and should be extra penalised like SF and the left think they should be.
    I don't have loads and loads of money in the bank but like Captain Havoc, I want to work to make myself more wealthy as each year goes by, I don't see why I should be penalised for wanting to make something happen for myself.
    Even something as simple as buying an asset and selling it for a small profit, after the €1270 allowance you pay 33% capital gains tax on every € of profit. For SF, they say that is too low and should be at least 40%, there is no incentive with high taxes, I don't mind paying my bit to keep the country functioning, but I don't want to be robbed by the state either like we were with the pension levy on private pensions, a tax on money that had already being taxed and thankfully finished with this year.

People need freedom to believe they can do something, high taxes doesn't give incentive to believe, who wants to work for a thief with punitive taxes?

Water charges are a very minor issue for me, almost to the point of irrelevance. They'll have no bearing on how I vote as the alternative under FF/SF is far worse and water charges would be the least of my worries; I'd fear for my job tbh if either were in power. FF on post record and SF in NI. I'll pass on both. The rest are just chaotic non sense, Renua etc etc.

Oh I agree, water charges are detraction in the grand scale of things and people seem far too obsessed with it.

On the very basic level having IW makes sense, imagine if every local authority looked after each county's electricity network? :eek:

This isn't such a crazy idea, if you go back far enough many towns in Ireland had their own little electric companies, Callan for example had one and the generator they used was based beside the old Bacon Factory near the Abbey Meadow.

But instead of retaining such an inefficient network the gov at the time used tax payer money to create the ESB which later became ESB Networks. They rolled out a proper standard electric network and they maintain it to this day.

ESB can make bulk purchases for ducting, poles, wire etc at get better value then if a small council made the purchased to cover just their area. You can apply the same benefits to having a single water utility company as well, it makes good sense in reality.

Anyway, back to other partys. Personally there are issues with every party. For example SF seem far too obsessed with uniting Ireland, this in reality is not something that can be forced and its either going to happen or not happen.

If they do want to force it then if we think we have problems now, imagine if suddenly the Irish Gov had to find approx 20billion sterling each year to run Northern Ireland...because thats what it costs the UK gov and they only get 9billion sterling in tax in return. (2012 data).

We'd be back into a recession and we'd have even more cuts to find this money, not to mention the social unrest issues that would come with having to look after Northern Ireland.
    Given the state of the finances post-FF it was inevitable we would see a continuation of high taxes and/or the introduction of a few others. Just because Enda Kenny wasn't announcing them 24/7 doesn't really bother me at the this stage. I've pretty much made my mind after weighing up all they've done and in particular where we were after FF end of 2010. I think as we move closer to the actual voting, reality will start to dawn with a lot more people (particularly workers/contributors to society) as to where their vote is safest. That's the current govt and or in as close a shape as possible to that format.

Additional tax's were always a reality and were always going to happen, of course it was easy for the apposition partys to object to these after 2008 but the reality is you can't run the country if the country doesn't have any money.

I think deep down most people will acknowledge this even if it pains them to admit it, in fairness who "likes" paying tax? I sure don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Labour Ann Phelan is embarrassing. End of her career right there. Should never gets in again

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Labour Ann Phelan is embarrassing. End of her career right there. Should never gets in again

Non sense. That lady was bullied out of it tonight by rent a mob in the audience aided by V Browne. A truly disgraceful display. Sick and tired of these thugs getting platforms to hurl abuse at elected reps.
    Will take her any day over what's "on offer" from the loony left there tonight, and their planted thugs.
    It was an obvious witch hunt. Why were the culpable FF tds glossed over? They were the govt that handed the exchequer that shambles back in 2011. If going back to that plus SF and the rest is supposed to be some kind alternative, I for one don't see it.

Why were the culpable FF tds glossed over? They were the govt that handed the exchequer that shambles back in 2011. If going back to that plus SF and the rest is supposed to be some kind alternative, I for one don't see it.
    SF voted for the bank guarantee while Labour were the only party to vote against it.
    The public are a fickle lot and deserve everything they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Non sense. That lady was bullied out of it tonight by rent a mob in the audience aided by V Browne. A truly disgraceful display. Sick and tired of these thugs getting platforms to hurl abuse at elected reps.
    Will take her any day over what's "on offer" from the loony left there tonight, and their planted thugs.
    It was an obvious witch hunt. Why were the culpable FF tds glossed over? They were the govt that handed the exchequer that shambles back in 2011. If going back to that plus SF and the rest is supposed to be some kind alternative, I for one don't see it.

I wasn't there so maybe there was a witch hunt out for her but from thetelly she came across terrible. She is member of our government and respectedparty (not the Looney left as you mentioned).

At the very least she should be able to communicate properly and convey acohesive opinion. She did not do this once!

At one stage I thought she was going to answer "That's the why!".

She reacted to the crowd unnecessarily in my opinion. I think someone fromthe crowd said (not shouted) " You didn't sufferthrough the recession" She then proceeded to hesitate, stumble andthen start going on about her niece that left for OZ and her disabled relation.It was embarrassing. This was my main reason for my initial comment.

I would agree with you that she may get because as you said it is a poorpool of people to choose from.

Conor MacLiam is spoofer of the highest order.

Adrienne Wallace is serious aggressive person she was pointing her pen ateveryone like she wanted to stab them. I also recall her patting herself on theback with a comment. Can't recall the exact wording. Gringe

Bobby Alyward is Fine fail old school so the less said about that thebetter.

Dave Fitzgerald is a pudding.

Patrick McKee has clean teeth I suppose. He is animated probably means wellbut renua? Good luck to ya. No direction\ policy there at all.

Malcolm Noonan spoke well and seems like a genuine enough article.

Kathleen Funchion I thought came across very well. A few years ago she I wouldhave said completely different but she make valid points (although in typical SinnFein manner might neglect the details) and does not rise to the grilling from Vincentetc.

McGuinness got away with not much of a grilling. He talks out of both sidesof his mouth but always seems to get in.

Actually after going through that list I will actually be voting for AnnPhelan. She would probably get my third vote. best of a bad lot.

None of our politicians will be getting any of the juicyroles no matter who is In government next so the hope is that we have someonethat won't embarrass us nationally like Hogan and McGuinness did/do regularly

Advertisement