Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seniority in A post interviews

Options
  • 17-09-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just looking for a bit of advice.

I'm in my school 4 years, CID this year on 22 hours and had 6 years full time experience before this. Have a M.Ed and a MA.

An A Post position has come up in my school and I am thinking of applying.

I don't see myself getting the job as people in the school longer than me will be going for it, including some B post holders but I'd be hopeful of maybe getting an interview for the experience if nothing else as there's likely to be more posts opening up in the school in the next 5 years or so.

I know that seniority only counts for part of the interview points now, but does anyone know if they will only look at my years or service in this school or take into account previous service when making up the points? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

sitstill wrote: »
    Hi all, Just looking for a bit of advice.

I'm in my school 4 years, CID this year on 22 hours and had 6 years full time experience before this. Have a M.Ed and a MA.

An A Post position has come up in my school and I am thinking of applying.

I don't see myself getting the job as people in the school longer than me will be going for it, including some B post holders but I'd be hopeful of maybe getting an interview for the experience if nothing else as there's likely to be more posts opening up in the school in the next 5 years or so.

I know that seniority only counts for part of the interview points now, but does anyone know if they will only look at my years or service in this school or take into account previous service when making up the points? Thanks

It's only your years of service in the school. However if you are in an ETB, and your previous job was with the same ETB I *think* you can count the service in total as the ETB is your employer.

Seniority is 20% of the marks if I remember correctly from the A post interview I did about 8 months ago.

The person with the most years done is considered to have the maximum years. Points were then calculated off that on a pro rata basis in the past. Now it's done in quartiles. Any teacher who is within 25% of the max teacher service also gets the 20 marks, next quarter get 15, next get 10 and last quarter get 5.

So if the max teacher had 20 years, any teacher with 16-20 years is also getting 20 marks. Teachers with 11-15 years get 15 marks etc.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to confirm, service within an ETB all counts, including part-time service. It used to be that at the start of the interview they would confirm with you how many years service you were being allowed for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

spurious wrote: »
    Just to confirm, service within an ETB all counts, including part-time service. It used to be that at the start of the interview they would confirm with you how many years service you were being allowed for.

Did an A post interview (for the craic because my service was so low compared to the top number of years and it was on the old rules) this year and was informed by email in advance of the interview what my years of service counted for

ya that happened for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Newdawn11

Can I ask is that the norm, to be informed of your service in advance? As we had an A post vacancy recently and this didn't happen. The scores also weren't available to candidates afterwards when feedback was sought.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    Can I ask is that the norm, to be informed of your service in advance? As we had an A post vacancy recently and this didn't happen. The scores also weren't available to candidates afterwards when feedback was sought.

Thanks

Don't know if its the norm as it was the first A post to come up in my school for 5 or 6 years. Why weren't the scores made available? Was there a reason given ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Newdawn11

Don't know if its the norm as it was the first A post to come up in my school for 5 or 6 years. Why weren't the scores made available? Was there a reason given ?

No reason, just they weren't available at feedback but would be given 'in due course'. No sign so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Surely scores MUST be made available .

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    No reason, just they weren't available at feedback but would be given 'in due course'. No sign so far.

I'd imagine that was before the summer. I can't imagine any school/ETB to be organised enough to have A post interviews at the start of the school year. If so, then they've had months to provide them. Might be time to ask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

As far as I know they only provide the service in advance so that the appointment isn't appealed on the grounds that computation of marks was incorrect.
    If you are provided with your service and sign to accept it then that is covered.

You would be entitled to your marks from the interview in the case of an appeal in addition to the marks of the highest scoring applicant.

Unions are bad at some stuff, they're very good at this. Get off boards and onto them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

Can anybody inform me as to the type of questions asked in an interview for an A post? How do you prepare for this type of interview?

Advertisement