Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teachers -pensions!!!!

• 17-09-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

lads and lassies... the big question of pensions?? I think im on the old pension scheme as i qualified in 2011 but im not sure!!

Anyway I know the difference between the old one and the new one in a very simplistic way. Something - that in the old pension scheme they take the last few years on what scale your on (how many i dunn0)and its more an average over many years when your on the new scale!!!

I started teaching late and unfortunately qualified in the year 2011 (the year we got a pay cut and started on the 1st point of scale)so i think im only on the 4th point as it stands.

My big queston is do you have to have 30 years or 35 years teaching to receive a "full pension"?? Someone is telling me I should be putting money into my pension from my wage to buy back years or build it up but I can't afford this and I don't think one needs to do this..im still in mid thirties but im just wondering if anyone knows the story. am i correct in saying we have to work to 65 at a minimum therefore you can't buy pay year AVCs anymore?I hope im making sense!!!

Thanks a mill...any advice would be gratefully appreciated...and ill bubble back to ye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

A full pension is 40 years service for entrants post 2004 unless you have the option to buy back years as far as I know

Advertisement