Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail wastes 250k on Graffiti removal

• 17-09-2015 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

Why though most European networks run fine with a bit of graffiti why does Irish rail spend so much removing it. Ok fair enough on intercity stock I don't fancy being stuck on a Dublin to cork service riddled with it but on the dart it doesn't really make a difference people aren't going to stop using or are just looking for excuses to shorten the lengths of trains I'd rather be sitting on a graffiti filled carnage then a sweat box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why though most European networks run fine with a bit of graffiti why does Irish rail spend so much removing it. Ok fair enough on intercity stock I don't fancy being stuck on a Dublin to cork service riddled with it but on the dart it doesn't really make a difference people aren't going to stop using or are just looking for excuses to shorten the lengths of trains I'd rather be sitting on a graffiti filled carnage then a sweat box.

You don't seem to have any concept of branding and trying to attract new customers - that is not going to work with trains running around covered in graffiti.

People do expect certain standards.

I think that you would find yourself in a minority with that view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I suppose the next question is could IR get it done cheaper ? Easier ?- better ?
    Different surfaces -paints or surfaces -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lxflyer wrote: »
    You don't seem to have any concept of branding and trying to attract new customers - that is not going to work with trains running around covered in graffiti.
    IE don't get branding either, changing it constantly and apart from the DART every other vehicle has had multiple repaints over the last 20 years so that there is no consistent brand recognition possible. Logos change frequently as well.

Currently we've got:
    Grey and Silver/black freight locos
    Orange (ok laid up), Green/silver, Grey and purple, silver red and black passenger and freight locos
    2800, 29k and 22k all have different liveries, with 29k having 2 at present

You'd forgive some people for thinking they were all separate companies like you would see in the UK.
    People do expect certain standards.
    Standards on the inside are far more important though. Overflowing toilets, non functional seating reservation and displays or overcrowding are far more important than a graffiti ridden carriage. Especially with the limited resources IE have to work with.

Constantly removing graffiti is 'nice' but not a priority requirement and the funds would do far more good spent in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

As I said on a previous thread -

Community service order - safe pass training, overalls and a scrubbing brush and you'd think twice about spraying tags all over public or private properly.

Maybe 4 or 6 weekends....

• Advertisement

StonyIron wrote: »
    As I said on a previous thread -

Community service order - safe pass training, overalls and a scrubbing brush and you'd think twice about spraying tags all over public or private properly.

Maybe 4 or 6 weekends....

back in the real world however. such suggestions wouldn't make a blind bit of difference

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

back in the real world however. such suggestions wouldn't make a blind bit of difference

Not in a system like we have here.
    You'd probably get sued by the graffiti cleaners of someone broke a nail.

StonyIron wrote: »
    Not in a system like we have here.
    You'd probably get sued by the graffiti cleaners of someone broke a nail.
    There is seldom graffiti on the trains in Singapore.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/05/us-singapore-graffiti-sentence-idUSKBN0M10DK20150305
    A Singapore court sentenced two Germans to nine months in prison and three strokes of the cane on Thursday after they pleaded guilty to breaking into a depot and spray-painting graffiti on a commuter train carriage.
    Andreas Von Knorre, 22, and Elton Hinz, 21, both expressed remorse while being sentenced in the state courts of the island republic.
    "This is the darkest episode of my entire life," said Von Knorre. "I want to apologize to the state of Singapore for the stupid act...I've learned my lesson and will never do it again."
    Hinz added: "I promise I will never do it again. I want to apologize to you, and my family for the shame and situation I've put them into."

Singapore, well known for its cleanliness and its zero tolerance for crime, uses the rattan cane to carry out the sentence. Prisoners are stripped and strapped to a wooden trestle with a medical officer on hand to intervene if necessary.
    People who have been caned have called the pain excruciating.

It's rather odd place, to put it mildly. Singapore is basically a benevolent dictatorship and retains a lot of British 19th century state brutality.

A guy I know had moved there with a UK bank and didn't think much about sending his son to public school.

He was late twice and they beat him with a cane came home badly bruised and refused to go to school again. The kid was 6!

Caused absolute uproar in the house and the parents sold up and left Singapore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Whatever about its political system, Ireland would benefit with some of Singapore's law and order policies - everything from chewing gum through to graffiti artists and boy racers.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Whatever about its political system, Ireland would benefit with some of Singapore's law and order policies - everything from chewing gum through to graffiti artists and boy racers.

There's a bit of a balance. We had law and order policies like that and it ended up with severe abuse in industrial schools and beatings that have left people traumatised for life and I think created several very downtrodden, unnecessarily shy generations that lacked confidence and entrepreneurship.

We do need to deal with law and order but not by regressing to the 19th century and not by introducing American style robocop stuff either.

Things like community service, restorative justice and similar measures work far better.

The biggest difference in Scandinavia is that people feel a sense of public ownership of public facilities and you don't tend to trash your own garden.

I thin really by creating more accountable local government and getting people more directly involved things happen!

The Tidy Towns is the best Irish example of this and it really does work. People take huge pride in an area and it suddenly turns out absolutely beautiful.

You've got to do that in inner city areas and I think you can even do that with public transit. Get people involved with their local unloved DART station. Hold events at it, turn it into a gateway to the community.

Things like having local elected councils that fulfill a democratic version of the tidy towns committee and getting more civic involvement isn't expensive if it's done right and it could really transform places and facilities.

You can't bully people into taking pride in things. You have to create structures and systems that encourage ownership and leadership.

At present Ireland is consistently dismantling and striping power from the already dysfunctional councils and not replacing them with anything that could possibly create local pride.

We need to really rethink how we do pretty much everything at a local and civic level. It's just not working as a structure and that's why we've bad planning, messy areas, social disorder issues in cities etc etc etc

actually it wouldn't. such laws wouldn't make a difference in ireland or other western countries

actually it wouldn't. such laws wouldn't make a difference in ireland or other western countries

To be honest, I'd rather put up with a little graffiti and have my civil liberties in a completely free society and have no risk of being cained for random minor offences than live in what amounts to a large outdoor shopping centre run by a board of directors.

I think Ireland would have a revolution (again) if you had too much law and order enforcement like that. We're not that keen on authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I was just kidding, I think we should shower the little scrotes with love and let them do whatever the hell they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Think the EU might take a dim view of our proposed set of beating-up-people laws.

Advertisement