Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping business for another subject

• 17-09-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48

Hi guys,
    I'll start this off with a tl;dr Got business despite not doing business for the JC and I can't cope with it anymore and want to swap it.

So I started fifth year recently and I got put into the only business class for one of my subjects despite not doing the subject at all in the junior cycle or TY.
    My experience so far with business has been bad as I'm finding it overwhelming compared to the rest of my subjects.
    My plan is to hopefully try and get into DCG (which is full in my school but there is a rumour of a second class that may appear soon) or chemistry(It has only 8 people in the class, so they will more than likely accept me.)
    I'm going tomorrow to talk to my guidance counselor about my situation and I can only hope for the best.
    I'm mainly looking for peoples advice on if I should take up chemistry or not but anything else would be heartily appreciated.

Also here is the full list of subjects I'm currently doing if anybody wants to know.

Maths Higher
    English Higher
    Irish Ordinary
    Geography Higher
    Physics Higher
    French Higher
    Business Higher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why were you put into business when you had never studied it?

Chemistry would be a good fit with physics. If you are getting nowhere it might be worth asking your parents to call into the school and make an appointment with guidance counsellor/principal. It would be unusual to stick a student into a subject they have never studied before for no reason, and there is no point in you staying there if you don't like the subject and have no background in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Chemistry and physics would go well together but so would DCG and physics, they both are somewhat related

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

What type of careers are you interested in OP? chemistry would be very useful for science courses, while DCG would be beneficial for engineering/ product design, etc.

For me, I think chemistry seemed quite abstract at first, but after practicing questions and calculations it makes a lot more sense. It's probably my favourite subject now.

I hope it works out for you anyway OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

In what way would chemistry go well with physics? I'm struggling to see why someone overwhelmed by business would be better suited to chemistry.

qweerty wrote: »
    In what way would chemistry go well with physics? I'm struggling to see why someone overwhelmed by business would be better suited to chemistry.

In the way that there is common material on both courses in the areas of radioactivity, subatomic particles, nuclear physics.

In that both of them are logical subjects and require a decent grasp of maths.

In the way that there is a lot of theory to be learned off in business which is not the case in either physics or chemistry.

• Advertisement

In the way that there is common material on both courses in the areas of radioactivity, subatomic particles, nucleR physics.

In that both of them are logical subjects and require a decent grasp of maths.

In the way that there is a lot of theory to be learned off in business which is not the case in either physics or chemistry.

The common material is so minimal as to be unworthy of mention.

The maths hardly, if ever, strays beyond +, -, x, \, and the more involved stoochionetry can be easily avoided.

Chemistry is hardly a short course, and certainly not in comparison to Physics. The amount of word-for-word material - i.e. definitions - is arguably greater in Chemistry, and certainly not significantly less.

qweerty wrote: »
    The common material is so minimal as to be unworthy of mention.

The maths hardly, if ever, strays beyond +, -, x, \, and the more involved stoochionetry can be easily avoided.

Chemistry is hardly a short course, and certainly not in comparison to Physics. The amount of word-for-word material - i.e. definitions - is arguably greater in Chemistry, and certainly not significantly less.

Students still need a good understanding of maths and the ability to manipulate formula.

I teach physics and in the past taught chemistry. I see an awful lot more students take physics and chemistry as a combination than I do physics and business. None of my 5th or 6th years physics students take business. About half of both classes take chemistry.

I teach physics and in the past taught chemistry. I see an awful lot more students take physics and chemistry as a combination than I do physics and business. None of my 5th or 6th years physics students take business. About half of both classes take chemistry.

Just because a combination is popular doesn't mean that they especially compliment each other. Lots do bio/chem, business/accounting.

I agree that students who are good at physics are a lot more likely to be good at chemistry. But I don't agree that a student who is overwhelmed by business is suddenly going to find themselves excelling at chem. And, as junior cert business could hardly be said to be necessary for leaving cert business (or even a particularly good preparation, unlike for accounting), I don't think that's a convincing reason why they might.

Hope it works out for you, OP. If business is the only subject you're struggling with, maybe it just doesn't click with you for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 gerard98

Hey guys/gals sorry for not replying until now,
    I decided to take up biology as I had more of an Interest for it and see myself getting more points in it then chemistry because at the end of the day I believe if I'm interested or enjoy the subject it's less work for me.
    I would have went into DCG but it was full but there's no point in crying over spilt milk.
    Thanks for all of the replies I found them very helpful for this situation and sorry for not replying back until now.

Ill answer some of the question I should have before as well in case anybody was wondering.

-I got put into business as it was the only subject that was on my list of reserve choices that worked with my schedule.
    -My career goals are something in the field of engineering or meteorology.

Sorry for not directly tagging the people who asked the questions in this response but I hope you see it.

Advertisement