Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booze and your holidays!

• 17-09-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

When you're off on holiday, do you start off the day in the airport bar with a few pints?

Does your holiday revolve around booze or are you "sensible"?
    Do you drink mostly in the day when you're away, or (like me), do you save it til night?

Call me nosy, but I'm interested.

A friend of mine came back from the Costa del Sol the other day and when I asked how she got on, she said all they did was drink from lunch-time til night and then brought booze back to their hotel room.

I love a pint in the airport and then I'd have nothing until I get to my destination.
    When I'm there, we'll explore the area and browse the shops, etc and maybe have one or two bottles of beer but we generally save our drinking til the evening when the entertainment's in full force.

If I got drunk during the day, I'd have no interest in going out later.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Depends on where you are I suppose.

I was in S.E. Asia recently and only had more than a couple of beers once or twice over the whole holiday.

Too much to be doing (and too bloody hot and humid) to be dealing with a hangover the next day.

That said, the beer isn't great over there, so that played a part :pac:

Usually though I try to plan interesting and active holidays, rather than boozing for a week.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

When I was 18 to 28 or so I would have drank from morning onwards, not a bother, but takes me a week to recover from a just a couple of cans of Kilkenny these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Usually have a brandy or two at the airport, and if I'm going longhaul, I'll have a glass of wine with my dinner on the plane, but that would be it. On holiday I'd usually just have a beer at lunchtime and nothing else until the evening. I can't understand going away somewhere and spending the whole time in a pub, might as well just stay in the house and get a carryout and read Wikipedia or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Booze? Are you five?

When I'm on holiday I won't touch any substance unless it's been collected from an exotic planet in the Amazon and blown through a shaman's pipe.

Holidays are for the Prada of mind altering substances, not Tesco.

I'll have a bit of wine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I never depart Dublin airport without a few measures of black bush in me. Im not a big fan of flying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Jaysis no! I'm 23 and me and the missus have always been the same. Active during the day then drinking in the evening. Even if we're dying we'll still get out. Hate that lying in bed all day crap too. No matter how the head is I won't be sleeping past 10 maybe 11 if I'm really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What annoyed me too was a few years ago we went away with a group of people, all ranging in ages.

One of the fellas had no interest in exploring his surroundings or doing anything.
    All he did was sit at the bar at the pool (in the hotel resort) all week, drinking from morning til night.

He saw nothing of the area and should have just stayed at home instead of forking out nearly 1k for his holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

What's the point in travelling somewhere nice and to waste all the time being drunk/ asleep? I just don't get it...That just sounds like a waste of a holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wife and two kids so no, not much alcohol at all.

Might have a couple of drinks at night, but, like Nacho, the hangovers are a killer these days and I wouldn't want to waste a day somewhere when we could be enjoying ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Like Nacho said a lot depends on age, 20 somethings are more likely to go on all day benders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Depends entirely on the type of trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

It depends if my plans include shagging half the country Im going on holiday to. If so not a minute is wasted in terms of not drinking to ensure I am ready for partying as soon as I step off the plane.

If it's a more quiet and lowkey holiday, I barely drink for the whole holiday itself let alone at the airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

What about us non-drinkers? Nice cuppa, no headaches and I can remember everything about my trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What's the point in travelling somewhere nice and to waste all the time being drunk/ asleep? I just don't get it...That just sounds like a waste of a holiday

Being drunks fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ruu wrote: »
    What about us non-drinkers? Nice cuppa, no headaches and I can remember everything about my trip.

You can drive the bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ruu wrote: »

I thinks that's the flaw in the plan TBH :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I usually go on sightseeing holidays so I am out and about a lot during the day and I'm quite tired in the evenings. I wouldn't usually drink during the day but some evenings I'd have a few drinks and one of the nights I'd probably get properly shitfaced but then I have to take it easy the next day. I can't go out sightseeing and get shitfaced every day, my body is just not able for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had a pint at 5 am in the airport before I departed for Amsterdam, was utterly pointless. I was half asleep and the pint was ice cold, had like a quarter of it before I left it behind. Drank a fair bit on the holiday itself, went on some insane pub crawl that you pay for, about 60 of us started. Me and another lad ended up at the organisers house till we got kicked out for being "outsiders"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

fussyonion wrote: »
    What annoyed me too was a few years ago we went away with a group of people, all ranging in ages.

One of the fellas had no interest in exploring his surroundings or doing anything.
    All he did was sit at the bar at the pool (in the hotel resort) all week, drinking from morning til night.

He saw nothing of the area and should have just stayed at home instead of forking out nearly 1k for his holiday.

But that what people don't understand. He shelled out his 1k to do exactly what he wanted. He basically bought a week of zero stress which will probably keep him alive longer than worrying about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I drink beer all day if it's a hot country, otherwise I have no energy or will to do anything in 35 degree heat.

If it's a moderate climate I can wait till dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i inject the alcohol straight into my brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My last holiday was 6 years ago, it was based around a moto gp weekend so little to no drinking (good money had been spend to watch the race, I wasn't going to waste it for a few drinks)

Prior to that, yeah the holidays would have been centred around me getting absolutely wrecked during the late morning(my wife must really love me to have put up with a drunk me for a week) going for a nap, getting up and getting absolutely wrecked again in the evening time (didn't take much for the evening obviously) Sometimes I miss my foreign drunkenings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Rarely drink when I'm away - just the odd one. Same as concerts.........I pay money for these things and I want to remember them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Luke92 wrote: »
    Jaysis no! I'm 23 and me and the missus have always been the same. Active during the day then drinking in the evening. Even if we're dying we'll still get out. Hate that lying in bed all day crap too. No matter how the head is I won't be sleeping past 10 maybe 11 if I'm really bad.

Booze-wise, I'd be mostly sensible (might overdo it one or two nights), but holidays where every single day is go go go do not appeal to me in any way. Not relaxing at all. Relaxation is underrated. I'd have a scatter of active days amid a LOT of relaxing days (reading, sunbathing, playing board games, just sitting around nattering, having leisurely meals). It's good for the soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

fussyonion wrote: »

I don't have any problem with people just relaxing for their entire holiday. The weather alone makes what you paid worth it. People work hard and sometimes just want to completely unwind. But sounds like he'd be hungover every day and that sounds anything but relaxing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm in Lyon at the moment. Generally having 1 bottle of wine per day, split between the girlfriend and myself. Sometimes have 1 at lunch time and 1 at dinner. Don't tend to get particularly drunk when away (certain evenings excepted), feels like a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

My last proper holiday was in 2006!

Went with my ex to Rome and met up with another couple that were friends of hers. The ladies had no interest in seeing or doing anything so me and the other lad did the Vatican / Sistine chapel, Colosseum etc. while they lay in the sun and drank wine. Was kind of weird actually spending more time with some bloke I just met than the missus but hey ho.

Whatever floats you're boat I suppose but if I ever do manage to have another holiday again I'll be glad is isn't with someone who has no interest in history, culture, architecture or any of that.

It's the main reason to travel in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I probably drink less on holidays! Too much to do during the day and then too flaked tired at night to be getting plastered.

Advertisement