Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever lied on your C.V?

• 18-09-2015 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

have you ever lied on your C.V or in an interview to secure a better job? Whats to stop people saying they had a thousand more responsibilities than what they actually really had in their last workplace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Yeah, like im going to be stupid enough to post that online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Yeah, like im going to be stupid enough to post that online.

This thread was specially created for you. Out with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd be lying if i said I have a CV.

Never had a reason to make one.

I'd be lying if i said I have a CV.

Never had a reason to make one.

Self employed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

booooring! wrote: »
    have you ever lied on your C.V or in an interview to secure a better job? Whats to stop people saying they had a thousand more responsibilities than what they actually really had in their last workplace.

Well if you're asked to provide a reference and they call your emoyer and ask. That's the point of a reference isn't it?

Pretty sure most of my CV is correct, some of the dates may be a bit out slightly but that's the height of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kaiser Sosay

Yes, I once lied to cover a gap between jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Most of the companies I've worked for are long gone, the few that still exist dont have any employees that I worked with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Self employed?

I am now, but I've never had a job that even required a Junior Cert, never mind a twenty page letter highlighting how good I am at problem solving and delegating thanks my experience as a tiddlywinks champion and an extra in Braveheart. :DD

Must try it sometime for the craic.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Well if you're asked to provide a reference and they call your emoyer and ask. That's the point of a reference isn't it?

Pretty sure most of my CV is correct, some of the dates may be a bit out slightly but that's the height of it.

But if your currently employed and looking for a better job is kinda what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

It's called "fleshing it out" a bit. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Yes, shortly after this took place, I told her I'd pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I used to, but then one company I applied to went on a serious fact finding mission to find out everything on my CV.

I had lied and said I was in a job 1 year longer than I was which kinda messed me up a little, but I still got the job. I don't lie anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I fleshed out some of the stuff in my hobbies anyway. But beyond that not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No, of course I haven't. Just because none of ye have ever seen me dressing up as a giant bat and beating criminals to a pulp with my bare hands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Christ, I can't remember, the last time I needed a cv was 15 or 16 years ago but I think when you are straight out of college/school a little embellishment of the facts is allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yep, I've often mentioned I'm 'hard working' in mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

I Have never had CV. If i had one i would lie because most companies lie they say things like we are an equal employer and we create a harmonious and holistic work enviroment with lots of potential for growth. Then you walk in and you end up working with a bunch of c**ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Increased dates a little to cover a gap and I omitted dropping out of college first time around and a job that I had a particular acrimonious split from. I think after a certain point you probably don't need too and you have enough real life experience to tailor a decent CV for the role your applying for.

When your starting out I'd imagine you have to lie your ass off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fictitious story - I swear*

Years ago I was working on the buildings and signing on once a week. Anyway, I was instructed in the dole office that they had arranged an interview for me in some crap place up the road. I was told that if I didn't go, my dole would be cut off.

Off I go to the interview, really really really not wanting the job as it would result in a big pay cut for me (seeing as I was getting my wages and my dole).

I wrote a cv out by hand on a crumpled page with ragged edges and brought it to the interview. Loads of spelling mistakes on purpose. I think I even spelled Lawnmower as Lawn More. Lied about grades, work experience etc. When I say lied, I made myself out to be a right thick cnut, downgrading everything. Lied through my teeth to try and get them to not hire me.

I couldn't believe that they didn't kick me out of the interview after 2 minutes. They must have been really desperate for staff. There were two things that finally killed off my chances. One was when they asked me if I had any references. I told them that I didn't bring any with me but they could ring xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxand he would vouch for me. The name I gave them was the biggest scumbag criminal in the area. The second thing was that part of the job involved driving a forklift so I told them that I wasn't sure about being able to drive one as I often suffered from headaches and blurred vision. I must have been in contention up until then.

Ah well, that was one job that got away. :pac:

I nearly forgot....... One guy was in the same boat as me. He didn't want the job either so when they asked him for his references, he told them that he didn't have any because he got sacked from his last job for stealing. :pac:

*May or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 crossroads15

Not so much lied but embellished definitely, its almost expected on cvs now, if you can get away it, do, would be the motto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Never a big lie. Usually just leaving out parts or over exaggerating parts. Like leaving out grades as they would never hire a person with a 1:1 or exaggerating how successful a project was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've never out and out lied.
    Even the exagerations are strongly based in truth!
    I'd end up talking rings around myself if I tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Stuck down that I had a masters in automotive engineering after changing the spark plugs in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i lied to cover a job I was fired from.
    brought the end date of last job forward a bit to cover the short period I worked in that Sh7thole.

Made it look like I was only off for 2months which I lied and said I was visiting family abroad.

It was all lies.

:(

*edit
    the lie is still there in the last version of my Cv but i'm self employed now so I guess it's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Self employed?

Dole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

No need to ..........I've always been head hunted

Hitchens wrote: »
    No need to ..........I've always been head hunted

Oh la la.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm a European Parasailing Silver Medalist.....

....apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject of lying on your cv... I created a LinkedIn account a few months ago and it's all balls.
    Came across people I know and they all lied. Some did the usual 'blowing things out' - thats cool as we all do that :P But then others flat all lied about skills. Not knowing a single thing but saying you know it in and out type of lie.

Then there is the guy who I work with claiming his current position is Project Manager. But in reality his position is sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 F412

No, I think its important to be truthful on your CV. You might slightly exaggerate things, particularly in an interview but plain lying is a bad idea.

A lot of my CV is about the technical skills I have also so lying about those could bite you very fast when you can't do something you claimed you could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I DO like current affairs and I AM (at the theory part) of training for a marathon.

Advertisement