Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2015 open competition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- in case anyone is unaware- PAS announced an Open AO competition overnight- link here: http://www.gradpublicjobs.ie/gradpublicjobs/campaignAdvert/22794.htm?lang=en

Requirement - A level 8 1st or 2nd class honours degree. If unsure- check the framework of qualifications here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Framework_of_Qualifications

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Duplicate threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

And the ball starts rolling again - Let the games begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Remember doing these about 11 or 12 years ago. Didn't do very well on the tests but was called for interview for EO. At that stage I was through a mother qualification and didn't do the interview.

I'm a bit shocked at starting salary but guess in these times it's not bad for entry level.

Toyed with the idea of applying for AP open comp earlier in the year but didn't. Maybe next time. I think that the skills in my current job are transferrable. Will keep an eye out over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Emmmm do count 2.2 as a second class degree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Yes.
    It's a 4 year honours degree though, a 3 year degree doesn't count, if you go by the qualifications framework.

Some 3 year degrees do count, for example Arts in UCD is NFQ 8. What's relevent is the number of ECTS Credits you complete.

From http://www.nfq-qqi.com/index.html
    Honours Bachelor Degree (NFQ Level 8)
    Class of award-type: Major
    Volume: Large
    The Honours Bachelor Degree is normally awarded following completion of a programme of three to four years duration (180-240 ECTS credits), although there are examples of longer programmes in areas such as architecture, dentistry and medicine. Entry is generally for school leavers and those with equivalent qualifications. In addition, there are transfer arrangements across higher education, and a number of programmes of one year duration leading to Honours Bachelor Degrees for holders of the Ordinary Bachelor Degree. The Honours Bachelor Degree is a Bologna First Cycle qualification.
    Awarded by: Institutes of Technology, Quality and Qualifications Ireland, and Universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

That makes sense. In England most honours undergraduate degrees are only of three years duration. They are recognised as a level 8 qualification here. I also think (not 100% sure) that two year UK Foundation degrees are considered equivalent to a three year ordinary degree (Level 7) on the Irish qualifications framework.

So you should be fine Keepkeyyellow. But you could always check with PAS if you are worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Thanks guys ! I've a 3 year arts degree from UCC which is level 8 and is 180 credits so that should be fine albeit I'll really have to big up experience. Super excited for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Just wondering, if any of you who were successful in last year's campaign are reading this, am I right in thinking that virtually all of the position were in Dublin, bar maybe one?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Closing date for applications is 15/10 then there are a number of stages afterwards... but when do the grad positions usually start? I'm finishing a Masters next June so I'll be looking for grad jobs starting around May/June.

• Advertisement

Butterface wrote: »
    Closing date for applications is 15/10 then there are a number of stages afterwards... but when do the grad positions usually start? I'm finishing a Masters next June so I'll be looking for grad jobs starting around May/June.

Depends entirely on when DPER sanction posts- and where your position is on the panel (presuming you get to the panel). Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string answer- because unfortunately its not one there is an answer to..........

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Depends entirely on when DPER sanction posts- and where your position is on the panel (presuming you get to the panel). Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string answer- because unfortunately its not one there is an answer to..........

Thanks for your answer. I'll give it a shot anyway and see if I even get past the first stage before I start worrying about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If I remember correctly, last panel started placing somewhere between start Feb / end April... but I think I remember more people being called further into the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I was appointed from the last panel and started recently. I was from the second group they interviewed though. Those interviews were held in June. Not sure when the first group were interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Apologies again for dragging this up but has anyone applied for the Civil Service Graduate programme on Publicjobs.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Yup just did it there now on the website, must be new positions for 2016 as only got the notification recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Apologies my post was moved from an old thread.

Will people be placed in different departments depending on their experience/qualifications or location?

As someone else asked.......is it mainly Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Question with regard to salary scale, will everyone be put in on the starting amount listed or is it D.O.E? and if so what are the chances of coming in elsewhere on that scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Question with regard to salary scale, will everyone be put in on the starting amount listed or is it D.O.E? and if so what are the chances of coming in elsewhere on that scale?

If you're coming from elsewhere in Civil Service .. you will get incremental credit (ie commence no lower than your existing salary)
    If you're coming from elsewhere in Public Service (eg Local Authority, HSE etc) every case is dealt with on a case by case basis..you may or you may not retain your existing salary level (more than likely not..)
    If you're coming from Private sector..you start on min of salary scale..end of..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 connmel

Zipppy wrote: »
    If you're coming from elsewhere in Civil Service .. you will get incremental credit (ie commence no lower than your existing salary)
    If you're coming from elsewhere in Public Service (eg Local Authority, HSE etc) every case is dealt with on a case by case basis..you may or you may not retain your existing salary level (more than likely not..)
    If you're coming from Private sector..you start on min of salary scale..end of..

Just to note also if you're coming from Civil Service but at an equivalent grade i.e. not a promotion you will also have to make a case for starting on a point other than the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

What does the psychometry tests consist of?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I was appointed from the last panel and started recently. I was from the second group they interviewed though. Those interviews were held in June. Not sure when the first group were interviewed.

Could you tell us how that worked? If you were in the second group they interviewed, does that mean there were two panels? Or, was it the case that everyone was ranked together in one panel?

In other words, could someone in the second group interviewed potentially be placed number 1 on the panel?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

They interviewed 115 that ranked top in the aptitude tests and created a panel (I don't know how many were on the panel). When all of them were offered positions they still had vacancies to fill so called the next 50 (i think it was 50 based on what someone from Pas mentioned on the day) and created a another panel. The first panel was exhausted by the time the second one was created.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    They interviewed 115 that ranked top in the aptitude tests and created a panel (I don't know how many were on the panel). When all of them were offered positions they still had vacancies to fill so called the next 50 (i think it was 50 based on what someone from Pas mentioned on the day) and created a another panel. The first panel was exhausted by the time the second one was created.

Thanks; that's useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

I submitted my application a few days ago. A family member told me about it, that these jobs were for graduates etc. however I'm now thinking that I probably won't have much of a chance coming up against people with Masters Degrees and management experience. The job description doesn't say much about having to manage other people, more about working in teams, on projects etc. which I have done to a certain extent before.

I have some customer service and administration experience, and then went back to university as a mature student. I have a degree in Psychology, which has some modules in statistics and general research and analysis elements. I'm now looking for work after graduating in the summer.

I have done aptitude tests for work and Uni before and seem to do ok, but I'm now thinking I won't have a hope in hell if most other applicants has way more experience.

Someone with a masters degree and several years mid level management experience would surely be looking for more than a 30k a year job no?

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there like me who is a graduate with not much in the way of work experience.

I thought they took you in and trained you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

Nymeria wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is anyone else out there like me who is a graduate with not much in the way of work experience.

I thought they took you in and trained you up.

Me too!! I only just graduated last month and have basically been in my little college bubble for the last 3 years and straight out of school before that so apart from my current job and some little bits here and there and my extracurricular I'm basically experience-less. But I have a relative high up in management in the civil service and she reckons they need young people they can shape into what they need. The impression I got from reading the information was this is possibly perfect for new graduates on a learning curve...were it not for hearing about the people applying with Masters and experience that's definitely the impression I got. I think it's definitely still worth throwing our hats in the ring.

Put your best foot forward.
    You'd be surprised at how awful some people are at interview- or indeed, how some inexperienced people exude confidence and interview very well.
    There will be experienced people going for this- as indeed, there will be new graduates- without any worldly experiences. Don't read anything into it- put your best foot forward- you can be certain there are older experienced candidates fretting over- whether they're too old, or how taking such a post might affect them and their families- were they offered it.

There are pros and cons for everyone- don't assume you are at a disadvantage to other candidates- you might be just what the interviewers have in mind- you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Thanks for replying Hannah, it's nice to know there is someone else who is less experienced but still hopeful.

I'm not so worried about the aptitude tests, more so being able to come up with examples of competencies in the interview. I have done group work and presentations in University, but nothing really in regards to leadership really. I will just have to wing it, and emphasise that I'm eager to learn.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, I might not even make it past the first round haha.

You're right TheConductor, we will just have to do our best and see what happens,

Thanks guys :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 donkey_kong

Any idea how often these competitions will be? I live in China at the moment, obviously it will be a major hassle to get time off work and come home for interviews. But if this won't come up again for 2-3 years I'd be more inclined to.

Advertisement