Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2015 open competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shedex

It's 8 days since my email, and nothing in the post yet. I hope I haven't misunderstood and they're waiting for me to do something...

I'd say give them a ring to find out whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

shedex wrote: »
    I'd say give them a ring to find out whats going on

I got my letter yesterday. It was 2 weeks since I received my email notification but I have to get police clearance from abroad so that would have delayed things a bit.

received an update from PAS this morning: they are at number 140 and have finished filling existing requests for AOs. There may be further requests, but at a much slower rate.

I'm curious if any of those in the mid- to late-130s received their notifications and letters, and what departments they went to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisit90

Does anyone know where the Department of health jobs are based? Also how long generally does it take to start a job, once you hear you are under consideration. Any info would be really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trebormax

Thisisit90 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the Department of health jobs are based? Also how long generally does it take to start a job, once you hear you are under consideration. Any info would be really appreciated

Dept of Health all appears to be based in Hawkins House, near Dublin Tara Street Station. (though rather happily for me, there is talk that they will be moving to Baggot Street at some point, possibly either end of this year or start of next)

I'm starting there the first week of April :) Not sure what section yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 LondonFields

Well, I've turned mine down, due to location, so there'll be one more on offer! Good luck all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

Well, I've turned mine down, due to location, so there'll be one more on offer! Good luck all :)

Oh no! What department did you get?

Department of Agriculture. It was a long-shot application, as I cannot work in Dublin, and most of the posts are there, so it wasn't too much of a surprise!

BTW, there have been no offers made of Irish Language AO positions yet, I've been told, as none have been requested...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Does that mean that if you turn one down you stay on the panel and get offered the next one that comes up?

sqooka wrote: »
    Does that mean that if you turn one down you stay on the panel and get offered the next one that comes up?

Wait, sorry, I just understood what you meant!

• Advertisement

I wish ;)
    No, I mean it'll get passed down the line and will hopefully suit someone else :)

When did you turn that down?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Department of Agriculture. It was a long-shot application, as I cannot work in Dublin, and most of the posts are there, so it wasn't too much of a surprise!...

So- that's 16 AO posts for Agriculture?
    Seems like a very high number- though I guess that's because they haven't had a HEO competition or panel in place for so long- and the grades are seen as analogous?

Hi everyone, I was hoping somebody could explain the process once you get the e-mail saying you're under consideration to me. I can't quite remember but I'm worried I may have put my current employer down as a reference thinking they'd contact me before contacting references and I could let him know then as I know he'll sing my praises to them. That may sound like a mad thing to do but the job I'm in was looking quite unstable at the time and he knew about the interview (I couldn't get the time off for it without telling him), but things are a bit settled now and I really wouldn't like him to be blindsided. I definitely would leave in a heartbeat for the AO, but like I said, I wouldn't want them to contact him before I got a chance to tell him myself. Does anyone know if they e-mail you before contacting references and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trebormax

Hi everyone, I was hoping somebody could explain the process once you get the e-mail saying you're under consideration to me. I can't quite remember but I'm worried I may have put my current employer down as a reference thinking they'd contact me before contacting references and I could let him know then as I know he'll sing my praises to them. That may sound like a mad thing to do but the job I'm in was looking quite unstable at the time and he knew about the interview (I couldn't get the time off for it without telling him), but things are a bit settled now and I really wouldn't like him to be blindsided. I definitely would leave in a heartbeat for the AO, but like I said, I wouldn't want them to contact him before I got a chance to tell him myself. Does anyone know if they e-mail you before contacting references and the like?

My understanding is that if you are an external employee (ie not in the civil service) then PAS will give you notice before contacting your current reference.

I think they know it can rock the boat to request one without doing so.

Yes, I was in a similar situation myself. PAS definitely wait until they have clear confirmation from you before they will contact your current employer. It is only once you give them the go ahead that they will get in touch with your employer and ask them to fill in a reference form. You should get a phone call from the department you are going to shortly after that :)

Has anyone started as an AO yet? Any information about the onboarding process or training would be much appreciated :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Poppy88

Got email at start of month, waiting for Garda clearance, told it would take 3/4 weeks, anyone else waiting this long? References from current employers and all done so just waiting for letter of assignment and contact from department so I can hand in my notice

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sab78

HI does anyone know what number they are up to in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whizzgirl

Hi,

Heard from PAS today that they have reached number 145 on the panel. Good luck to everyone who is waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashball

Oh Christ I'm in the next five so. How long do we have to accept or decline again? I just started a new job in the last few months, I'd be dreading that conversation with my boss 😬

ashball wrote: »
    Oh Christ I'm in the next five so. How long do we have to accept or decline again? I just started a new job in the last few months, I'd be dreading that conversation with my boss 😬

Im not sure i had took a whole week to make up my mind when i knew theyw ere getting close to my number so i was able to just proceed straight away!

Emma you are holding this whole thread together! Have you started yet?

Emmal14 you are holding this whole thread together! Have you started yet?

ashball wrote: »
    Emmal14 you are holding this whole thread together! Have you started yet?

Haha thanks but theres alot of great posters on here! I start the 18th of April can't wait! Even though finishing up in my current job is mental at the moment! What are thinking about the ao are you leaning towards takingit or not taking it if offered?

Under consideration for department of health! Have a bit of a problem with police clearance as I have to get clearance from two foreign countries, one of them Germany, and the bureaucracy to get it is a headache. Like it might take as long as two months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

shedex wrote: »
    Under consideration for department of health! Have a bit of a problem with police clearance as I have to get clearance from two foreign countries, one of them Germany, and the bureaucracy to get it is a headache. Like it might take as long as two months :(

Did you hear that somewhere or just presume it? I had to get clearance from the Netherlands when I became a clerical officer and it was straightforward

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Did you hear that somewhere or just presume it? I had to get clearance from the Netherlands when I became a clerical officer and it was straightforward

Actually the Netherlands is the other country I have to get clearance from, and its relatively straightforward as far as I can understand it. I just send the form to PAS for them to fill out the relevant section, fill in the other sections myself, pay the fee online and then send it via post to the Justice Ministry.

Germany is more problematic as I am currently living there, and you have to apply in person at one of the townhalls. The problem is actually getting an appointment at the townhall as the huge influx of refugees needing to register has created a massive backlog. I have an appointment for June 1st, but thats miles away. Maybe I can get a walk-in appointment if I get there at 5am to get at the front of the queue, but I currently have a job and its difficult to drop everything to spend all day waiting for an appointment that I may or may not get.

griffdaddy wrote: »

Actually the Netherlands is the other country I have to get clearance from, and its relatively straightforward as far as I can understand it. I just send the form to PAS for them to fill out the relevant section, fill in the other sections myself, pay the fee online and then send it via post to the Justice Ministry.

Germany is more problematic as I am currently living there, and you have to apply in person at one of the townhalls. The problem is actually getting an appointment at the townhall as the huge influx of refugees needing to register has created a massive backlog. I have an appointment for June 1st, but thats miles away. Maybe I can get a walk-in appointment if I get there at 5am to get at the front of the queue, but I currently have a job and its difficult to drop everything to spend all day waiting for an appointment that I may or may not get.

Has anyone gone through the process of getting police clearance from Germany?

• Advertisement

Jesus I genuinely don't know. I'm having to think seriously about it this week. I'm doing a course at the moment as well, and the last year can be done full time in a year or weekends over 2 years. I'd been planning on doing the year 'cause I thought my number would never come up but now I think the smart thing to do is take AO and have that safety net :o

Make my decision for me!

Advertisement