Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2015 open competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shedex

ashball wrote: »
    Jesus I genuinely don't know. I'm having to think seriously about it this week. I'm doing a course at the moment as well, and the last year can be done full time in a year or weekends over 2 years. I'd been planning on doing the year 'cause I thought my number would never come up but now I think the smart thing to do is take AO and have that safety net :o

Make my decision for me!

Its a tough one. I'm in a similar position to you in that I've accepted a new job and accepting the AO post would involve a pretty drastic change of plans and circumstances.

There's no easy way to make the decision, just make a list of pros and cons and listen to your gut!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Has anyone gone through the process of getting police clearance from Germany?

I requested it from Ireland 12 months ago. It was an immediate turn around although there is an admin charge and the form to apply for it had to be stamped by the local police here in Ireland. It took 2 weeks including post as far as I remember.

Check with PAS whether they will require a certified translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

Jesus I genuinely don't know. I'm having to think seriously about it this week. I'm doing a course at the moment as well, and the last year can be done full time in a year or weekends over 2 years. I'd been planning on doing the year 'cause I thought my number would never come up but now I think the smart thing to do is take AO and have that safety net :o

Make my decision for me!

I think you should first listen to your gut and then think about what you want! I know for me it was about making a great lifestyle choice with a good career there. Personally id say take the AO what have you to lose?

Emmal14 wrote: »
    Personally id say take the AO what have you to lose?

I cant speak for ashball, but personally I'd be worried that AO is the safe but low-reward option. The pay isnt great and i'm not sure the opportunities for advancement to higher levels are that great either. I'd be concerned about the risk of... stagnating I guess.

If there's anyone out there currently working as an AO I'd love to hear your opinion of working for the CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashball

It's more that I'd really want to know what I would be doing in the dept before I started, and I hear that can be very dependent on which one it is and who you end up under? If I knew I'd be able to use some of what I'm doing in this course, a bitta law for example, I'd be much more tempted to take it 'cause that's the area I want to end up in. I also would really like to hear from someone doing it already!

For me it's a toss up between having the permanent AO job to fall back on if this other thing doesn't work out, or jumping straight in to the full time course, getting it finished and seeing if it's something I can legitimately pursue.

I think on balance AO is the smarter thing but potentially not what I want long term. Definitely the most appropriate forum for this deliberation is a general post on boards though, that I'm certain of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As a general rule of thumb- the only civil servants who are specifically placed in Divisions/Sections to leverage their specific skillsets- are those who enter via confined competitions (think tax, accountancy, law, IT etc). If you enter via the regular as opposed to a confined stream in an open competition- you may get some use of your skillset- however, it'll be more coincidental than by design.

Recent attempts have been made to audit the skills and qualifications of pre-existing civil servants- however, there is absolutely no evidence on the ground that the surveys conducted have had any purpose or use whatsoever...........

If you have a law background- it will be helpful in the Civil Service- you might be drafting SIs, involved in EU Regulations and negotiations etc etc- however, you also may not be- its impossible to tell.........

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

I was initially assigned to a department as part of this competition, got the letter of assignment from PAS. That departments HR section rang me after looking at my qualifications, said that I seemed more suited to a different department and would I be open to going there instead if possible. HR sorted it out directly with the other department and then with PAS to get me re-assigned there instead.

It's delayed my start date a fair bit but at the end of the day I'm now going somewhere where I can actually utilize my degree. I'm delighted that the first departments HR took time and effort to get the best place for me, even if it wasn't with them. A positive for the Civil Service!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Holysock- that's great.
    I've never heard of Personnel in any Department being as proactive- and I've been around for a while- I hope they've decided to turn over a new leaf- as it makes perfect sense- it keeps staff happy- and it enables the best use of the skills that people have to bring to the job........

In most Departments- its a running joke that skills aren't acknowledged or used- and what you have experienced is something I have never come across before........ I hope your experience becomes best practice- and is rolled out elsewhere........

Holysock- that's great.
    I've never heard of Personnel in any Department being as proactive- and I've been around for a while- I hope they've decided to turn over a new leaf- as it makes perfect sense- it keeps staff happy- and it enables the best use of the skills that people have to bring to the job........

In most Departments- its a running joke that skills aren't acknowledged or used- and what you have experienced is something I have never come across before........ I hope your experience becomes best practice- and is rolled out elsewhere........

The first departments HR said on the phone something along the lines of that it just seemed like such a waste for me to have studied something for 4 years and not to use it. I feel like they really were just looking for the best placement rather than passing me off somewhere else. I agree, it would be great if this kind of proactive approach became the norm in the Civil Service

That is great, it's really encouraging. And great for you that they see your potential and usefulness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Poppy88

Got my letter of assignment past Friday, how long does it take the department to get in touch after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Poppy88 wrote: »
    Got my letter of assignment past Friday, how long does it take the department to get in touch after that?

I heard from them within a couple of days, but it might vary depending on which department you are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Can anyone tell me how long it took from getting the "consideration" e-mail to whatever the next stage is? Is it letter of assignment?

I got my email about being under consideration and then a letter of assignment from PAS arrived the following week, advising that the Departments HR section would be in touch in due course. It also provides a contact for your new Department in case you need to contact them

I've still got nowt, I think they're stalling around 145!

I start on Monday! Very curious to get in and get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Emmal14 wrote: »
    I start on Monday! Very curious to get in and get started!

How did your first day go? :)

Oh yeah, I hope it went well! Sure you'll be running the place by summertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trebormax

Howdy folks,

How are all of our starters getting on? I'm amazed how quickly I started getting involved in the departments work..

How are we doing number wise? Still on 145 as above? My dept is still taking people in anyway so hoping everyone here gets some good news soon.

Veledan22 wrote: »
    How did your first day go? :)

Went well! Had induction today so that was good! Thanks Ashball appreciate the vote of confidence! What did you decide yourself?

• Advertisement

Putting it off until I get the offer!

well, I turned down my offer in the Dept of Health in favour of another job. So there's at least one more position being pushed down the panel

well, I turned down my offer in the Dept of Health in favour of another job. So there's at least one more position being pushed down the panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

shedex wrote: »

What was the contract length? I can't seem to find out what they are.

Lekrub wrote: »

What was the contract length? I can't seem to find out what they are
    its a permanent contract with a one year probation period

I've totally been offered your castoff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alphabet

I've totally been offered your castoff!!

Congratulations.

Whereabouts on the panel were you? (if you don't mind saying)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 anthrogal

Hi all!!

Hope everyone keeping well and still keeping the faith that they will get through a few more numbers on this panel!

Any updates with what number they are up to currently?

And people that have been placed, how are you getting on with your new posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alphabet

Hi there,
    I got this reply from PAS this morning:

"We are at early 150’s at the moment."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 anthrogal

Thanks alphabet!
    Im in the late 160s so am nervous and excited hoping and praying they get as far as me!!

Advertisement