Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2015 open competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

So what exactly does the next stage entail does anyone know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So what exactly does the next stage entail does anyone know?

The exact same again- only supervised, in PAS on Capel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The exact same again- only supervised, in PAS on Capel Street.

Do ya think? 250 is awful low of a number.

Slydice wrote: »
    Do ya think? 250 is awful low of a number.

Yes- I don't believe the 250 number- I reckon when they factor all 3 streams into account- we'll have just under 500 (time will tell though). The pass marks appear to have been set artificially low- compared to some of the other recent competitions- for what reason? Even if they try to bring 50 through on the Irish stream- they have still passed nearly 4 times more candidates than they think they'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

My other half got 17 in the Irish stream but the email didnt give her an overall ranking of other Irish stream applicants or overall applicants.The email didnt include a number of applications for this stream that would be caled.Anyone have an idea what this ranking means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 connmel

Just got invitation to next stage - all being run on the same day, supervised aptitude tests, job simulation, presentation and interview.

My heart is racing just thinking about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

connmel wrote: »
    Just got invitation to next stage - all being run on the same day, supervised aptitude tests, job simulation, presentation and interview.

My heart is racing just thinking about it!!

Wow! Best of luck - I'm Jealous! Just remember that everyone there will be just as nervous as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

Yes- I don't believe the 250 number- I reckon when they factor all 3 streams into account- we'll have just under 500 (time will tell though). The pass marks appear to have been set artificially low- compared to some of the other recent competitions- for what reason? Even if they try to bring 50 through on the Irish stream- they have still passed nearly 4 times more candidates than they think they'll need.

Can I ask what the three streams are? AO, 3rd sec and?

Sorry wasn't paying much attention when they were advertised obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Can I ask what the three streams are? AO, 3rd sec and?

Sorry wasn't paying much attention when they were advertised obviously!!

Irish Language AO

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paphos

Does anyone know how many stages this competition consists of? I was quite surprised as to the extent of the testing in Stage 2, particularly re. giving a presentation and an interview. Will there be a Stage 3 after this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

For anyone who has reached a similar stage in previous calls, would did the Presentation aspect involve? I'm curious given the hour being given to prepare in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 connmel

So I've got my familiarisation material for Mondays assessment centre - I'm feeling apprehensive about the presentation - its a very long time since I've had to present anything and without any advance material it's impossible to prepare for. I'm doing some work on my competencies for the interview and will repeat the practice numerical and verbal reasoning but apart from that I'm not sure what else to do - apart from get the hair done of course!!

Riamfada wrote: »
    My other half got 17 in the Irish stream but the email didnt give her an overall ranking of other Irish stream applicants or overall applicants.The email didnt include a number of applications for this stream that would be caled.Anyone have an idea what this ranking means?

I got placed fairly well in the Irish stream too- but no indication of how many they are calling (if indeed any). If they expand the 250 from the general competition- I'll be mightily happy........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

I was placed 117 on the list and called for a full day assessment on the 4th of December! Pretty full on day. Delighted though! Have to try prep for the presentation and prepare examples for the interview! Any tips anybody who previously went through this has would be much appreciated! Also if anyone doesn't have their original degree ( I didn't! It's somewhere in the parents as I graduated over 5 years ago) they will accept original transcripts! Or for anyone who went to UCD the transcripts you can access and print online! Just need to get my last few references and get the pasport pics taken!

Good luck to everyone doing Stage 2! I'm both looking forward to it and looking forward to having it done. No idea how I'm supposed to prep. though, especially for the presentation.

And the first week of interviews is over.

Does anyone have any information about how the allocation of posts take place (once all of this is over, that is)? i.e. Do the first 20 people on the panel get offered the first 20 jobs, regardless of department, or do they take people's expertise into account when offering positions?

There are some departments I'd much rather work in than others, and which I'd be much more suited to working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

I was just wondering did they say anything about when they might be letting people know if they were successful? Or anything about start dates?

Paphos wrote: »
    Does anyone have any information about how the allocation of posts take place (once all of this is over, that is)? i.e. Do the first 20 people on the panel get offered the first 20 jobs, regardless of department, or do they take people's expertise into account when offering positions?

Allocation of posts is normally- as Departments request staff- aka yes- the first 20 people on the panel are offered the first 20 posts- regardless of Department (in the general competition- you are supposed to be fully transferrable to any Department). Just because you have a degree with a major in economics- does not mean you will be offered a post where you can utilise your degree. Its the same at EO recruitment- the vast preponderance of whom also have degrees- no cognisance is given to the area in which you have your degree.........

At AO- there still exists the programme where you are supposed to spend 2 years out of your home Department to get a broader experience of the civil service (aka- you'd spend your first 2 years in your home Department, next 2 in a different Department- and then back to your home Department again). They haven't been strictly insisting on people doing this recently- it is still at their prerogative to insist on it though..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fear na Sleibhte

Veledan22 wrote: »
    I was just wondering did they say anything about when they might be letting people know if they were successful? Or anything about start dates?

I did the assessment centre yesterday. They said they'd be in touch by late December.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisit90

Any idea how long the interview lasts for?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if this is the last week for interviews, or are there more next week?

Anyone else going mad waiting?

Emmal14 wrote: »
    Anyone else going mad waiting?

Yes, :( hopefully we will hear something by the end of this week.

Just got the results email....can't imagine they are going to have enough vacancies to ever get near my number! Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coloneldecker

Same here. Anyone got any theories on how many vacancies there'll actually be? I didn't get a breakdown of my results from the various parts of the assesment centre, did anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

No, I just got a generic email telling me where I placed and that they were waiting on confirmation of the number of vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coloneldecker

Holysock wrote: »

That would get me in on this one but looks like that's over a number of competitions and not just this one tho so there'd need to be more than that for me to get anything here. Ah well!!

I'm the same. Very few of the 200 places would want to be going to any of the other competitions for there to be any chance of me getting anything.

• Advertisement

Ye i got about the middle i think but it depends on how many jobs there is. I think you can request feedback on your assessment centre day.

Advertisement