Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More build help?

Options
  • 18-09-2015 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Sorry to trouble you guys so much but I need a little more help with the PC I'm putting together.

When I initially asked for help I think I was a little too vague in terms what the computer will be used for. I'd like a machine quiet enough to comfortably watch films on and powerful enough for 1080p gaming with high/ultra setting at a decent frame rate(as close to 60fps as possible). Would this build suffice?

Already purchased:

250gb SSD
    1TB HDD
    Dual-X R9 280x
    - Should I get a newer GPU like a 970?

What I have in mind to purchase:

Corsair Air 240 - I like this case.
    I5-4460 - Is this CPU good enough?
    ASRock H97m - This version: goo.gl/wgZTdI
    16gb DDR3-1600 RAM - I know it's more than needed for gaming but I use Photoshop for digital art which can be quite RAM intensive.
    530w/630w Be Quiet! semi-modular PSU - I'm unsure which to get, I've heard since it's a multiple-rail PSU, that the 530w isn't enough. It also doesn't come with an 8-pin GPU power connector whereas the 630w does.

I'm not a huge gamer and I have no intention of gaming beyond 1080p or upgrading anytime soon. The games I'd like to play are:

Bethesda games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 with mods and ENB
    MGSV at high/ultra settings.
    GTAV at high/ultra settings.

In regards to noise; I was thinking of picking up three Be Quiet! 120mm fans and a Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP CPU cooler, as I've heard the stock Intel coolers can get quite loud.

Thanks in advance and sorry again if I'm coming across as extremely neurotic. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The first i3 given is strong enough for pretty much 99% of games, so the i5 is plenty unless your digital art is very CPU intensive, but I can't see that.

Motherboard is fine

The 280X will play most games at High 60fps, but it isn't the quietest card

The BeQuiet System Power 7 500w should be fine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jameschaplin zero

The first i3 given is strong enough for pretty much 99% of games, so the i5 is plenty unless your digital art is very CPU intensive, but I can't see that.

Motherboard is fine

The 280X will play most games at High 60fps, but it isn't the quietest card

The BeQuiet System Power 7 500w should be fine either.

Thanks for the response. If I were to go for a 970, do you know anything about the Gigabyte model? The MSI version wouldn't fit in the Air 240.

Not a thing, Gigabytes are normally rock solid though.

Your budget must have doubled at this stage :pac:

970 will play anything, maxed at 60fps, a 960 would probably cover you just a well if you're not a graphics whore, or even a 950

Not a thing, Gigabytes are normally rock solid though.

Your budget must have doubled at this stage :pac:

970 will play anything, maxed at 60fps, a 960 would probably cover you just a well if you're not a graphics whore, or even a 950

Yeah, at first I just wanted something to play games as cheap as possible(The old Inspiron 530 can barely play Morrowind) but the more I thought about it I realized I'd rather spend more on something good that wont be obnoxiously loud or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970 is even longer than the MSI. But I think the MSI is taller. If you need a smaller 970 look for EVGA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I have a Gigabyte windforce OC GTX970 and its very quiet, even when gaming. I've OC'd it further myself too with little difference to sound levels.

Luck100 wrote: »
    Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970 is even longer than the MSI. But I think the MSI is taller. If you need a smaller 970 look for EVGA.

Yeah, it's the height that's the problem. The 240 surprisingly can fit the Gigabyte model no problem.
    superg wrote: »
    I have a Gigabyte windforce OC GTX970 and its very quiet, even when gaming. I've OC'd it further myself too with little difference to sound levels.

Thanks for the help man.

I was also thinking about the MSI(or Gigabyte) R9 390? It has the zero-decibel fan mode, fits the case and has 8gb VRAM for modding Skyrim. I just worry it would be too loud for casual browsing/watching films, it's also hotter and draws more power than the 970. What do you guys think, anyone have experience with the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I was also thinking about the MSI(or Gigabyte) R9 390? It has the zero-decibel fan mode, fits the case and has 8gb VRAM for modding Skyrim. I just worry it would be too loud for casual browsing/watching films, it's also hotter and draws more power than the 970. What do you guys think, anyone have experience with the card?

I've been around a few of the 390s and own one, they're not very loud at all. Mine is just a few feet to the back and right of my head while I'm watching movies and I couldn't discern any difference between the hum of the PC vs the projector in quiet moments.

grindle wrote: »
    I've been around a few of the 390s and own one, they're not very loud at all. Mine is just a few feet to the back and right of my head while I'm watching movies and I couldn't discern any difference between the hum of the PC vs the projector in quiet moments.

Thanks for the help, may I ask what brand you have? I was thinking of getting the MSI but the Gigabyte model fits too.

Thanks for the help, may I ask what brand you have? I was thinking of getting the MSI but the Gigabyte model fits too.

Sapphire Nitro, which is too long for the Corsair 240. I'd get the MSI unless the Gigabyte is substantially cheaper.

• Advertisement

Sapphire Nitro, which is too long for the Corsair 240. I'd get the MSI unless the Gigabyte is substantially cheaper.

Thanks, I was leaning toward the MSI. :)

goo.gl/5pBNXm

That's the build I'm thinking of going with. Can anyone tell me how it'll perform? It'll mainly be used for gaming, casual browsing, watching films and PhotoShop. I want it to be as quiet as possible also, which is why I got the cooler and fans.

Thanks, I was leaning toward the MSI. :)

goo.gl/5pBNXm

That's the build I'm thinking of going with. Can anyone tell me how it'll perform? It'll mainly be used for gaming, casual browsing, watching films and PhotoShop. I want it to be as quiet as possible also, which is why I got the cooler and fans.

The SSD is still going into this, yeah?

Either way, gaming-wise it'll perform extremely well. Not that me just saying that is any use to you.

Video with numbers and comparisons (skip to 10m32s):

You can get that Air 240 case for €20 less here, comes to €98.50 using Parcel Motel - or even using amazon.co.uk saves €15.

The SSD is still going into this, yeah?

Either way, gaming-wise it'll perform extremely well. Not that me just saying that is any use to you.

Video with numbers and comparisons (skip to 10m32s):

You can get that Air 240 case for €20 less here, comes to €98.50 using Parcel Motel - or even using amazon.co.uk saves €15.

Thanks again. I'm not really concerned with the 390's performance so much as the noise output and the CPU. As far as I can tell the CPU is fine and definitely has the best price-to-performance ratio(The better i5's cost significantly more and I doubt would perform much better with PhotoShop since they utilize the same amount of cores and threads), but I'm unsure of how loud it will be. I used a sound-meter app and it told me the ambient noise of my house is 60db and using a dba calculator I estimate the maximum noise output of the system will be 45dba, so I hope it'll be fine. I'm just sick of how loud the inspiron runs!

Also I think I'll just order the case through Mindfactory as it's not a significant saving with the hassle of ordering elsewhere.

Is the case soundproofed? Soundproof it if you can, my system idles at 33db with a 290.

The CPU is plenty for you imo

Is the case soundproofed? Soundproof it if you can, my system idles at 33db with a 290.

The CPU is plenty for you imo

Thanks, and no it's not soundproof. I imagine it wouldn't be too loud given the fans are all very low dba and the MSI 390's fans shut off at low temperatures.

The 4590 is €22 more than the 4460 at the moment, would the slight speed boost worth it, do you think?

EDIT: Also how'd you measure your system's noise level? I used a sound-meter app and got between 59 and 61 decibels in my house, no matter where I went unless I clapped or otherwise made a loud noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

The 4590 is €22 more than the 4460 at the moment, would the slight speed boost worth it, do you think?

I think you wouldn't notice the difference at all, it's marginal when it comes to gaming.

galson wrote: »
    I think you wouldn't notice the difference at all, it's marginal when it comes to gaming.

Yeah, I suppose that settles it then. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

I'm rocking 4460 now + 970 and can't complain at all ;) Upgraded from i5 750 actually which served me for 6 years, and was still doing quite well (paired with 560 Ti).

Advertisement