Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sarsfield st

• 18-09-2015 12:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭

despite feeding onto o connell st , im often told this street is a bit of a graveyard when it comes to commercial activity and that this has always been so

anyone care to comment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I remember it being quite vibrant in the 80's and 90's, Roches stores Toy shop, O'Sullivans shoes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DaForceCork

Since the old dunnes has been closed for years, foot traffic is a lot less and badly needs a tenant of some shape or form.

Few new businesses have opened though on the street past year including alterations shop, JP's Bar and Pier Hotel are launching new restaurant with separate new entrance on Sarsfield St..

Around the corner on Henry St, Hook & Ladder, El Toro, Clover restaurant etc have opened and planning permission has gone in for museum for Franciscan Church with recent repair work in church roof completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd love to see Debenhams put some money into their store. It hasn't been done up since Roches Stores was there. I'd love to see them knock and rebuild the old supermarket part and open up the store onto Sarsfield Street but it would cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Dunnes should be forced to do something with that building by the council.

It is as bad an eyesore as the Opera Centre farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Debenhams don't own the property, it's still owned by the Roche family afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

bazz26 wrote: »
    Debenhams don't own the property, it's still owned by the Roche family afaik.

I think you are correct. Debenhams should be looking for a refurb from their landlord!

Dunne's have both building available for rent, so the Council are limited in what they can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I have heard the debenhams building is a disaster waiting to happen. The wiring is so old and faulty it would take a complete stripping of the building to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

jmch81 wrote: »
    I think you are correct. Debenhams should be looking for a refurb from their landlord!

Dunne's have both building available for rent, so the Council are limited in what they can do!

three words

Compulsory purchase order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I don't think a building or land can be compulsorily purchased unless that purchase is of strategic national interest. In that regard it would be hard to make a case for the CPO of the old Dunnes site.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

The first building you meet on crossing the river entering the city is an unused eyesore.

Use it or lose it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes but nearly every major access route to the city has a halting site as well. I know which I'd like to see changed first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Kenny B wrote: »
    The first building you meet on crossing the river entering the city is an unused eyesore.

Use it or lose it.

The owners can't be forced to do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

zulutango wrote: »
    The owners can't be forced to do anything with it.

That's true.Unfortunately a big part of the Limerick 2030 plan is dependent on it being knocked.I wonder how much it would cost the Council to purchase the site?I really hope some elements of the plan proceed soon.Work on hanging gardens is apparantly meant to start before the end of the year.It will be interesting to see if it does.
    One thing that annoys me is the lack of upkeep on some recent buildings.Howleys Quay Dunnes could do with a paint job on the apartment side facing the river.The White panels on the Henry St side look really grubby also.
    I think it's a pity the type of paving that was used on Catherine St wasn't used in William St.It still looks run down.Has the court complex started?

Advertisement