Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest - Georges Dock

Options
  • 18-09-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone been down to this event this year or previous years?

Is it worth going to?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just wondering has anyone been down to this event this year or previous years?
    I usually go.
    Is it worth going to?
    Depends on your expectations. I like the food so usually go on a lunchtime at some point when it's quiet. I really like Fisher Helles too, so a litre of that and a plate of Leberkäse does nicely. I do note that the price of a litre has gone up this year from €10 to €12, which makes it a little less likely that I'll make the effort.

I wouldn't dream of going in the evenings because I'd expect it to be loud, crowded and full of annoying people. But lots of people seem to like that. Including, I suspect, the ones who complain about it in this forum every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It was 12€ for the litres last yr as well...

As stated above, its pretty messy in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BeerNut wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of going in the evenings because I'd expect it to be loud, crowded and full of annoying people. But lots of people seem to like that. Including, I suspect, the ones who complain about it in this forum every year.

And the queues, don't forget the queues. Queue to get in, queue to get a drink. And, like the last time I was there, they may run out of certain types of wine early enough which may be an issue if you go with your wife/girlfriend/someone who wants wine.

And it can be pretty cold. I've never gone back, and have no plans to. In fact last time we just left and went to the Harbourmaster and the Brew Dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Went last year, stayed for a bit, then went to a pub instead. Found it a bit grim: in the tent, queueing for everything, fairly bad selection of drink, people really, really drunk at five o'clock. The food was the only thing that was halfway decent and, to be honest, was well, only halfway decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I went last year. Was pretty good. I had 4 of those big glasses of beer. And because they're 1 LTR, my mind thought I had like 4 pints when in reality it was close to 8 pints in a short amount of time. Blacked out and can't remember a thing after glass #2. But everything before that was tip top.

I'm going tonight, hopefully the weather holds out. Don't think it will though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ThisRegard wrote: »
    they may run out of certain types of wine early enough which may be an issue if you go with your wife/girlfriend/someone who wants wine.

the ladies can just have a fruit-based drink then!

almurray_3095151b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Went last year, stayed for a bit, then went to a pub instead. Found it a bit grim: in the tent, queueing for everything, fairly bad selection of drink, people really, really drunk at five o'clock. The food was the only thing that was halfway decent and, to be honest, was well, only halfway decent.

You do understand Germans and their Beer? If you go to a bar in Germany, they will often only sell one brand of Beer. You usually have a choice of Dark, Wheat or Helles. They dont do a massive range of Beers.

The fact this is Paulener Oktoberfest. You cant expect a full range of cocktails, wine and Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

newacc2015 wrote: »

The fact this is Paulener Oktoberfest. You cant expect a full range of cocktails, wine and Beer

Erdinger. Paulaner branded ones are in the other four cities.

I posted a lengthy enough advice post in the beers wines and spirits forum in a thread that ended up being about Munich: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96943107&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Went last night. Exactly the same as last year. Got some food near the entrance and a beet and was told I couldn't bring my beer to the lower area. Bit **** as it was raining. Had to skull it and head down to the crowded tent. Had a stien and left. Novelty factor soon wears off standing in a crowded tent of drunken idiots looking out at the rain. Decided to leave before the inevitable toilet runs to the far side.
    If it was anyway nice during the afternoon I'd maybe pop back but once it hits around 4pm forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I used to wander down from the office at lunch time for the food, havent bothered the last few years and won't bother this year, its pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 stra

I've been about three times over the years and always found it disappointing and over priced.

Anyone know who runs it?

stra wrote: »
    Anyone know who runs it?
    Details on the website. German Internet law has your back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Any dunkels on tap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You do understand Germans and their Beer? If you go to a bar in Germany, they will often only sell one brand of Beer. You usually have a choice of Dark, Wheat or Helles. They dont do a massive range of Beers.

Yeah, and I was explaining why I thought it was bad, and won't be returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... Depends on your expectations. I like the food so usually go on a lunchtime at some point when it's quiet. ...
    What food is nice there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

Heading with work next Friday NIGHT

Wish me luck :-o

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Any dunkels on tap?
    No. See website.
    beauf wrote: »
    What food is nice there?
    I like Leberkäse. Also, see website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

No. See website.

I like Leberkäse. Also, see website.
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

What's the crowd like?

Is it office type people, loud party animals or a mixture of both.

Actually the question more pertinent is is it full of scumbags?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Always gets a massive crowd so people must enjoy it. Me, I don't do queues or over priced drinks so won't be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

People love it or it wouldn't be so packed and return. I think it's a good thing overall for something different that you can visit once a year or twice at most.. If you want to avoid the queue and crowds go early in the week before thursday before 8pm. Or saturday before 6pm.

Thursday or friday from 5pm onwards can be a bit mental as loads head there in bunches after work. The drink is more expensive but it's that pricy in a lot of places with a buzz from live music and at least it's erdinger and not a load of diageo muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I don't really see the appeal of these places, only one choice of beer, just ok food, over priced and standing in a tent. What makes it better than a pub?

Paying €12 for a litre of Erdinger served in a tent seems a waste of money to me but...
    People love it or it wouldn't be so packed and return. I think it's a good thing overall for something different that you can visit once a year or twice at most.. If you want to avoid the queue and crowds go early in the week before thursday before 8pm. Or saturday before 6pm.

Thursday or friday from 5pm onwards can be a bit mental as loads head there in bunches after work. The drink is more expensive but it's that pricy in a lot of places with a buzz from live music and at least it's erdinger and not a load of diageo muck.

To be honest Erdinger is a very bland beer itself, not worth paying extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It would be grand if it wasn't a bare faced rip off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't really see the appeal of these places, only one choice of beer, just ok food, over priced and standing in a tent. What makes it better than a pub?

Paying €12 for a litre of Erdinger served in a tent seems a waste of money to me but...

To be honest Erdinger is a very bland beer itself, not worth paying extra for.

Personally I like Erdinger.

Out of curiosity what price is a litre of Erdinger in a pub around event times.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

It's a load of ****e.

Beer is €12, plus a €5 deposit for the glass. The beer in the actual Oktoberfest in Munich is €10.

Food is bland and completely overpriced, starting at around €6.50 for a basic Brat! Place is jam packed with music blasting so loud impossible to talk.

Give it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

It's a load of ****e.

Beer is €12, plus a €5 deposit for the glass. The beer in the actual Oktoberfest in Munich is €10.

Food is bland and completely overpriced, starting at around €6.50 for a basic Brat! Place is jam packed with music blasting so loud impossible to talk.

Give it a miss.

Exactly how I imagine an Irish Oktoberfest being.

Was going to give it a try this year, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I was at a smaller Bavarian festival last year (not Oktoberfest) that had 1/2 Litres for €2.80 and Brats for €2.60...

Oktoberfest is generally seen as a rip-off to trap tourists in Germany itself... no wonder it tops the rip offs here!

I haven't been, but I reckon the Irish version is like a foreigner going into an Irish pub abroad thinking this is how it is...

But hey... it's booze and something different. You'll probably have a great time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Probably a stupid question - but is there any nice vegetarian food there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

http://oktoberfest-dublin.de/food-drinks/

Looks like just sauerkraut and potatoes...

Going in late tonight and partially dreading it...will prob not even get in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Be careful ordering potatoes if your veggie. Some have sausage or bacon bits mixed in. I think there was a noodle van on the upper area last year. Otherwise its a crepe with nutella

Advertisement