Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk V Drogheda

• 18-09-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Can't believe there is no thread for this blockbuster. Biggest derby game in the country to be fair and the RTE cameras will be there this evening to show all the action. Although the Drogs don't bring much to the party these days the fact that the champs aka the entertainers are playing make this a must see game.

Facts about the Louth derby: We beat them the vast majority of the times we play them. (Dundalk 82 wins. Drogs 35 wins. Draw 39)
    We are playing great stuff and cruising to another league title.
    They are playing shit and are slap bang in the eye of a relegation storm.
    Drogs fans can count on one hand how many games they have left to save their bacon.

For anybody wondering what there is a bitter rivalry between Dundalk and Drogheda it stems from the fact that a whole line of TD's elected in teh county have favoured Dundalk for grants, jobs, developments etc which has resulted in the fact that Dundalk is one of the most beautiful towns in the country and Drogheda has been left to rot away. A grey desolate smelly town unsure of it's identity (Am I Louth or Meath or somewhere in between) and populated by an unusually high number of what politically correct people would call simpletons.

Tonight's game is easy to analyze. We will go out and score a goal and then we will score another goal and another one and another one. Depending on how ruthless Kenny is feeling there may even be a fifth goal on the cards. The 70 Drogheda fans who make the trip up will sing crappy out of tune chants for about twenty minutes before they realise they are losing yet again and sink into a deep depression made worse by the knowledge they have to return to their ****ty town after the game. Hopefully it rains this evening on them.

Prediction: Dundalk 4 (or 5 depending on how we feel) Drogheda 0.
    Players to watch for us: All of them including the subs.
    Players to watch for them: Sean Thornton. Their only decent player. He will scrap and fight for about twenty minutes before being let down by his teammates yet again and downing tools.

Where to watch: Oriel Park- The home of Football. RTE Television at 7.25. Enjoy the spectacle. It's going to be fun.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

or Drogheda could win..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I always thought Dundalk was a bit of a tip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Possibly the best opening post ever. Entirely factually correct too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dfx- wrote: »
    or Drogheda could win..
    Ha ha, good one. More chance of Tallaght being named as European City of Culture for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pighead wrote: »
    Drogs fans can count on one hand how many games they have left to save their bacon.

haha, so can Dundalk fans, it's all Louth

:pac:

• Advertisement

haha, so can Dundalk fans, it's all Louth

:pac:
    Wrong. There is Upper Louth (Dundalk) and Lower (Bottom of the Barrell) Louth (Drogheda). We look down on them in every way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Pighead, you're in sparkling form!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

What's the earliest date Dundalk will win the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Drogheda.....drrrroghhhedaaa, it's sounds like it is. Horrible, weird, slow. Droghhhhhedaaa.

Now Dundalk is all zip, snap, sparky and active. It might stick one onto you at some stage, knock a few of your teeth out but it will get it's round in and provide you with entertainment. Droghhhhhhedaaa will sit in the corner making weird slurping noise and dribbling on itself, ignored by everyone not inflicted with the same sorry condition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

greendom wrote: »
    I always thought Dundalk was a bit of a tip ?
    Drogheda people call it 'Craptown'

• Advertisement

What's the earliest date Dundalk will win the league?
    Assuming both ourselves and Cork win our next three games we can seal a historic second title in a row on the 16th of October against Galway in Oriel Park. However, Cork will undoubtedly screw up one of the next three games so there's a fair chance we can seal it against Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght a week earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Assuming both ourselves and Cork win our next three games we can seal a historic second title in a row on the 16th of October against Galway in Oriel Park. However, Cork will undoubtedly screw up one of the next three games so there's a fair chance we can seal it against Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght a week earlier.

Cheers , waiting on yiz for 1200e!

The Mig wrote: »
    Shelbyville people call it 'Craptown'

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Great op. But from a neutral, I think Dundalk is the bigger shíthole. But Dundalk should stroll it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ha ha, good one. More chance of Tallaght being named as European City of Culture for 2016.

Horse show is on there this week I think or it could be a local female.

CPHPsbKVAAEQ1Ry.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sean Thornton, now there's a blast from the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Monkey Tennis PM'd me a while ago. Loads of cars parked on their roofs on the Carrick Road. Can only be Drogs fans for what ever reason...............

They were looking for a staa baa in the local spaa

1-0. Horgan. On the way!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As someone living in Drogheda, I'm making a list....

• Advertisement

2-0. Towell.

3-0. Towell. Again!

4-0. McMillan.

5-0. Towell x 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Have to say, Dundalk are an absolute machine. One of the best LOI sides in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to hand it to them. Consistently good, using a small squad of players, like all the top sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Drogheda have thrown in the....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Got to say, from further down the country (Kilkenny), Dundalk's reputation as a town is terrible. Can't comment myself as I have never been there. Drogheda I was in twice, twice was enough.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As someone living in Drogheda, I'm making a list....

of Dundalk goal scorers... eeek :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very Bored wrote: »
    Got to say, from further down the country (Kilkenny), Dundalk's reputation as a town is terrible. Can't comment myself as I have never been there. Drogheda I was in twice, twice was enough.
    The best thing ever built in Louth was the M1 so you never have to go through either of them if you're passing through

6-0. Towell x 4. Nearly done......

What age is Towell?

Why is he still playing LoI football? Is he not capable of making it in a higher standard?

NIMAN wrote: »
    What age is Towell?

Why is he still playing LoI football? Is he not capable of making it in a higher standard?

I'm not saying he can't or won't, but he had a trial at Cardiff last year that seems to have gone nowhere and was anonymous against Bate.

In saying that, if given a proper chance, surely he can get a gig in League One at least. Even head back to Scotland. I think he's only 23/24??

What age is Towell?

Paully D wrote: »
    Sean Thornton, now there's a blast from the past!

He was meant to be a big prospect at your lot, wasn't he? Apparently too big for his boots....

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    He was meant to be a big prospect at your lot, wasn't he? Apparently too big for his boots....

Tried the boxing as well. Retired, then moved down to the wesht and shacked up with some local bird called Mary Kate Danaher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

marno21 wrote: »
    The best thing ever built in Louth was the M1 so you never have to go through either of them if you're passing through

we wouldn't want you clogging our towns with your caravan, so stick to the motorway.

M1.. Takes you from Dublin to Belfast directly bypassing civilization completely

Cienciano wrote: »
    Great op. But from a neutral, I think Dundalk is the bigger shíthole. But Dundalk should stroll it tonight
    I think I would have remembered asking your opinion :cool:

Think the OP was codding himself though. Biggest derby in the country? Even if we're only talking about soccer (which seeing as we are in a soccer thread, I presume we are) Bohs v Rovers would have to be bigger surely?

• Advertisement

Derry v Harps.

Wow. Dublin still overthinking their own importance while 'country' club romps league.

Derry v Harps.

Proper game!

Wow. Dublin still overthinking their own importance while 'country' club romps league.

I'm not from Dublin. I'm from Kilkenny, and frankly for me the biggest sporting derby in the country is the Cats v Tipp, nothing else comes close. But in terms of supporter numbers and history I would have thought the biggest one was Bohs v Rovers. For example, the two Milanese clubs aren't doing great recently in Italy, but Inter v Milan is still wwwaaayyy bigger than Juve v Torino.

Well done to Dundalk though if they are romping to the title. I'd prefer a country side over the Dubs. I'm not a huge LoI fan though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A few people in this thread not used to Pighead's style of posting on Dundalk :pac:

Called the result though, fair play Dundalk, fantastic team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Very Bored wrote: »
    I'm not from Dublin. I'm from Kilkenny, and frankly for me the biggest sporting derby in the country is the Cats v Tipp, nothing else comes close. But in terms of supporter numbers and history I would have thought the biggest one was Bohs v Rovers. For example, the two Milanese clubs aren't doing great recently in Italy, but Inter v Milan is still wwwaaayyy bigger than Juve v Torino.

Well done to Dundalk though if they are romping to the title. I'd prefer a country side over the Dubs. I'm not a huge LoI fan though.

Yeah but you're from Kilkenny so you might be a tad biased on that one.

A Kerry win on Sunday and we'll all be delighted now.

deal!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A Kerry win on Sunday and we'll all be delighted now.

I'm a born and bred Dub and I couldn't give a shíte

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah but you're from Kilkenny so you might be a tad biased on that one.

As is a Dundalk fan claiming the Louth derby is the biggest one :P. I have yet to see 80,000 people at it though ;).

• Advertisement
Advertisement