Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current UL GEM student

Options
  • 18-09-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Thought I would touch base on here. I am coming upto the end of my first month at Limerick GEM and just to dispel a lot of the crap I read on here prior to going.

It is an amazing school, with great facilities on a fantastic campus. The teaching is great, there are issues like any other school but PBL is really good and combines all of the different minds and backgrounds within that group to form a solution and learn the biology and biochemistry of each problem presented.

In terms of funding, BOI have now taken over and are offering the loans to UK citizens now. So if you are looking to come over from the UK...there is your answer.

Any questions, fire away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

What's the timetable like?

Also, any experience on the scholarship?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Hey there! Thanks for creating this thread I think it's nice if you to share your experience. I have a few qs for you I hope you don't mind answering.

Is the course work and study really heavy or is it all just about finding balance? Like would you be able to hold down a part time job at weekends? Also a huge factor for me would be finance. In general how do people in your class find the four years of fees?
    Again I hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

Sorry guys, been very busy every week so haven't been on here for a while. In terms of workload... it's full on from week 1. You get a new case every week and you get Learning objectives to gather by the end of the week and present to your PBL class and tutor. It's basically the in-depth science of what is wrong with the patient each week. This is backed up with lectures and clinical skills.

I personally couldn't work at the same time as doing this course. The only ones I know that do are the ones that can make a lot of money for little effort... I.E the pharmacists.

I applied for the scholarship, thought I would get it and I didn't. Basically your parents need to be not working or disabled or one deceased etc. Simply having parents with crap jobs won't cut it I'm afraid.

In terms of the fees, I got the BOI loan and it will be manageable... at around 700 euros a month after we graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MagicMikeee

JackD123 wrote: »
    Sorry guys, been very busy every week so haven't been on here for a while. In terms of workload... it's full on from week 1. You get a new case every week and you get Learning objectives to gather by the end of the week and present to your PBL class and tutor. It's basically the in-depth science of what is wrong with the patient each week. This is backed up with lectures and clinical skills.

I personally couldn't work at the same time as doing this course. The only ones I know that do are the ones that can make a lot of money for little effort... I.E the pharmacists.

I applied for the scholarship, thought I would get it and I didn't. Basically your parents need to be not working or disabled or one deceased etc. Simply having parents with crap jobs won't cut it I'm afraid.

In terms of the fees, I got the BOI loan and it will be manageable... at around 700 euros a month after we graduate.

My brothers friend is in 3rd year GEMs and he got the scholarship. His parents are fine but only one of them works. The fact that he was unemployed definitely helped though.

• Advertisement

My brothers friend is in 3rd year GEMs and he got the scholarship. His parents are fine but only one of them works. The fact that he was unemployed definitely helped though.

Do you know how much they give you then a year?

retweet wrote: »
    Do you know how much they give you then a year?

I think it'a similar to the regular maintaince grant for undergrad courses

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

Im a 3rd year UL Med student...

The scholarship is based on hardship/personal obstacles overcome. It is not a means tested scholarship. In saying that, most people with hardship/obstacles also have financial difficulties. There is no clear outset as to who/how the scholarship is awarded but like said above, stating your parents have a low income is no basis for the scholarship and you won't get it for that. They give 10 scholarships a year that cover your tuition and 5000e spending money, so basically 20k per year.

In terms of the timetable/workload....the timetable is fairly management, you have about 8-10 mandatory hours a week (2 pbl sessions and clinical sessions) and the rest is made up of optional lectures and anatomy sessions so you can spend more time out of college than in it if thats what you want. The workload is average enough, everyone has this concept that med students study all the time etc and it's just not true or necessary. years 1 and 2 for me were fine, i did a normal amount of work, had a 3 day weekend everyweek (other than close to exams) and i had high grades in my exams. The PBL course makes you feel like your doing more work than you are, and also gives scope to study to no end as opposed to having lectures when all you need to know is clear cut and infront of you. But after a few weeks you get to know what resources to use and how much work you need to do per topic, so you could almost definitely work a part time job without any difficults, given you can take a few weekends off before exams...alot of people in my class had part time jobs and it didnt make much of a difference to their study. If you were worried about this though you can always become a residental assistant in the college accommodation, the pay isn't great but you get free accomodations so that will save you a good few thousand per year which is basically the same as working a well paid part time job, you can also study on the job as an RA because you just sit behind a desk doing nothing! 3 people in my class did this.

hope this helps!

The scholarship is based on hardship/personal obstacles overcome. It is not a means tested scholarship. In saying that, most people with hardship/obstacles also have financial difficulties. There is no clear outset as to who/how the scholarship is awarded but like said above, stating your parents have a low income is no basis for the scholarship and you won't get it for that. They give 10 scholarships a year that cover your tuition and 5000e spending money, so basically 20k per year.

In terms of the timetable/workload....the timetable is fairly management, you have about 8-10 mandatory hours a week (2 pbl sessions and clinical sessions) and the rest is made up of optional lectures and anatomy sessions so you can spend more time out of college than in it if thats what you want. The workload is average enough, everyone has this concept that med students study all the time etc and it's just not true or necessary. years 1 and 2 for me were fine, i did a normal amount of work, had a 3 day weekend everyweek (other than close to exams) and i had high grades in my exams. The PBL course makes you feel like your doing more work than you are, and also gives scope to study to no end as opposed to having lectures when all you need to know is clear cut and infront of you. But after a few weeks you get to know what resources to use and how much work you need to do per topic, so you could almost definitely work a part time job without any difficults, given you can take a few weekends off before exams...alot of people in my class had part time jobs and it didnt make much of a difference to their study. If you were worried about this though you can always become a residental assistant in the college accommodation, the pay isn't great but you get free accomodations so that will save you a good few thousand per year which is basically the same as working a well paid part time job, you can also study on the job as an RA because you just sit behind a desk doing nothing! 3 people in my class did this.

hope this helps!

hope this helps!

But surely there is a lot of emphasis on income seeing as you have to claim practically everything for the application?

• Advertisement

But surely there is a lot of emphasis on income seeing as you have to claim practically everything for the application?

they do not give much information regarding it. I'm sure it does play a role in the decision as they do request alot of information, but it is not a straight forward means tested scholarship

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

i've applied and did my personal statement stating income, and obstacles I've had to overcome - praying ill get accepted as im a HEAR access student in DCU!!
    just my gamsat was bloody rough - 49 getting a recheck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wellie12

vladcount wrote: »
    i've applied and did my personal statement stating income, and obstacles I've had to overcome - praying ill get accepted as im a HEAR access student in DCU!!
    just my gamsat was bloody rough - 49 getting a recheck

Would you be able to share the percentile graph from The Ireland results just out please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wellie12 wrote: »
    Would you be able to share the percentile graph from The Ireland results just out please?

asqSR6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭5989

Hello,

Can someone tell me if it's integral/necessary to attend the orientation week in first year? And what is involved in the intro module in the two weeks that follow the orientation week?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greentoast

5989 wrote: »
    Hello,

Can someone tell me if it's integral/necessary to attend the orientation week in first year? And what is involved in the intro module in the two weeks that follow the orientation week?

Thanks

Orientation week is not that important but it is a great way to meet everyone. If I remember correctly you have to attend one or two of the days for administrative purposes (student card), but it definitely wouldnt be the end of the world if you missed it. Once orientation week is over it is straight into the first case there isn't really an intro module as such. some of the lectures around PBL and Clinicals are to introduce you to PBL etc.. but lectures are not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EmmaD1

Hi, just wondering if there are any people on here that are currently doing the UL course that came from a non-science background? Just wondering if there are, how you found the pbl without any science background? I would imagine this would make things more difficult/steeper learning curve?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greentoast

EmmaD1 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if there are any people on here that are currently doing the UL course that came from a non-science background? Just wondering if there are, how you found the pbl without any science background? I would imagine this would make things more difficult/steeper learning curve?

I am. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. It's a steep curve for everyone but PBL is the perfect atmosphere for it because everyone is in the same boat and they make sure that they mix science and non-science in the groups. Don't be afraid to ask the stupid questions. Plus you only have 7ish mandatory hours a week so there is more than enough time to get your work done and everyone helps each other. I can't imagine ever going back to didactic learning. PBL is so much more productive. By the time you get to second year everyone is on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

The people in this thread enquiring about the financial burden of studying medicine should also make sure that you know the kind of pay that you would be getting after graduating. A lot of people get a big surprise when they learn the realities of working as a doctor in Ireland at which stage it is too late to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Esophagus

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone here could tell me if my plan is viable or just plain ridiculous. The areas with the question mark enclosed in brackets "(?)" need confirming if you have more information.

I am a UK applicant and I scored 58 in the GAMSAT which, as I understand, would almost certainly grant me a place on the course. However, I am unable to afford the fees, like most people. My current plan is that my enrolment on the course is entirely contingent on acquiring the scholarship. Getting a private bank loan from BOI is not an option for various reasons.

So, as CAO offers are sent out in early August(?), I figure I will have to accept the offer and then wait for the results of the scholarship in late August(?).

If I am somehow successful in the scholarship award, I would then have to scramble abroad and find accommodation etc. in time for the early September course start date(?). Is this at all feasible? Or is it just wishful thinking?

If I am unsuccessful, I would certainly have to withdraw. I read that some of you say it is possible to work part-time, but how easy would it actually be to gain employment? It seems that there are too many uncertainties around this and I would not want to start the course and end up having to leave.

Thank you for your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

Esophagus wrote: »
    Hey guys, I wonder if anyone here could tell me if my plan is viable or just plain ridiculous. The areas with the question mark enclosed in brackets "(?)" need confirming if you have more information.

I am a UK applicant and I scored 58 in the GAMSAT which, as I understand, would almost certainly grant me a place on the course. However, I am unable to afford the fees, like most people. My current plan is that my enrolment on the course is entirely contingent on acquiring the scholarship. Getting a private bank loan from BOI is not an option for various reasons.

So, as CAO offers are sent out in early August(?), I figure I will have to accept the offer and then wait for the results of the scholarship in late August(?).

If I am somehow successful in the scholarship award, I would then have to scramble abroad and find accommodation etc. in time for the early September course start date(?). Is this at all feasible? Or is it just wishful thinking?

If I am unsuccessful, I would certainly have to withdraw. I read that some of you say it is possible to work part-time, but how easy would it actually be to gain employment? It seems that there are too many uncertainties around this and I would not want to start the course and end up having to leave.

Thank you for your time.

As far as I'm aware the results of your scholarship application are only released after you have already started the course. I think someone mentioned it was in the second week of term for them. So you would have to accept your place, move over, start the course and hope for the best. You should be able to find the date of CAO offers online. I can't remember off-hand when they come out.

I think working part-time is very difficult with this type of course (from what I gather) but
    I suppose it is possible.

I am also hoping to apply for the scholarship. If I don't get it I will have to withdraw and move back to Dublin. It's a huge gamble but the only shot I've got so...

x

Maat wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the results of your scholarship application are only released after you have already started the course. I think someone mentioned it was in the second week of term for them. So you would have to accept your place, move over, start the course and hope for the best. You should be able to find the date of CAO offers online. I can't remember off-hand when they come out.

I think working part-time is very difficult with this type of course (from what I gather) but
    I suppose it is possible.

I am also hoping to apply for the scholarship. If I don't get it I will have to withdraw and move back to Dublin. It's a huge gamble but the only shot I've got so...

x
    In the email they sent to me/all applicants for the course, they specifically stated that the results of the scholarship will be released in "late August." I think it used to be later than this in previous years, but it seems they may have brought the date forward.

Have you not applied this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

In the email they sent to me/all applicants for the course, they specifically stated that the results of the scholarship will be released in "late August." I think it used to be later than this in previous years, but it seems they may have brought the date forward.

Have you not applied this year?

No sorry, hoping to apply next year and was just relaying some other people's experience.

That's brilliant that they have brought the date forward it will help relieve the stress and pressure for so many! Hopefully they keep it for next year!

Maat wrote: »
    No sorry, hoping to apply next year and was just relaying some other people's experience.

That's brilliant that they have brought the date forward it will help relieve the stress and pressure for so many! Hopefully they keep it for next year!

I think last year they said late August but the results were in fact early September.

I think last year they said late August but the results were in fact early September.
    Wow, that sucks majorly. There is no way I am quitting my job, flying over, sorting out accomodation, and starting the course without something concrete about my chances. Ughhhh.

What is your source on this btw?

Whatever you do, do not go over to UL on the whim that you are going to get the scholarship. Unless you are incredibly poor, have parents on benefits or yourself been on benefits do not think you will get it. I did exactly the same thing, I didn't get it. In the end I went to the BOI and got the loan after much stress and a lot of worry. I am now going into the second year, UL gem is not for every one and I suggest you think long and hard before coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Whatever you do, do not go over to UL on the whim that you are going to get the scholarship. Unless you are incredibly poor, have parents on benefits or yourself been on benefits do not think you will get it. I did exactly the same thing, I didn't get it. In the end I went to the BOI and got the loan after much stress and a lot of worry. I am now going into the second year, UL gem is not for every one and I suggest you think long and hard before coming here.

When you say UL GEM is not for everyone what do you mean? I understand PBL is not implemented in other medical courses in Ireland but is there something anyone planning on going to UL to study GEM should be weary of?

Yeah, I know, it is an irresponsible move to make – I do not plan on doing that. But, costs aside, I am also curious of what you mean by "UL gem is not for everyone."

Regarding the loan: I take it the full 60k amount was for tuition? How are you doing for maintenance (rent etc.)? Do you think it's possible survive with a partial loan (say 30k) and working/whatever while studying?

Lastly: when was the date you found out you did not get the scholarship? Was it in "late August" or later? Tbh, I am not counting on the scholarship by any means, when I read my personal statement back to myself a few days ago, sadly, I felt it missed a few tricks.

I know someone going into their final year who got it and he would be familiar with some of the first years. He advised not to apply expecting to get the scholarship.
    Wow, that sucks majorly. There is no way I am quitting my job, flying over, sorting out accomodation, and starting the course without something concrete about my chances. Ughhhh.

What is your source on this btw?

• Advertisement

I found out I didn't get the scholarship around 2 weeks into the course, I got the email at around 11.00pm at night... I remember it distinctly as I couldn't get to sleep afterwards haha.

I live off about 9K a year whilst I am at UL, so 30K with a job would be enough to get you through so long as you live privately and cheap.

The BOI loan covers fees nothing else, the issue is BOI are very strict about you having other debt and getting another loan to live may put them off lending to you.

I say that UL is not for everyone as you really are teaching yourself medicine. My life revolved around PBL, wikipedia and the occasional book. The exams also really are a weird one, I find a lot comes up that you can't possibly know and to be honest IF i was to choose again I would not of gone to UL but that is my own personal choice and a lot of people are loving the course and really enjoying it. However I am here now and will make the most of it. One thing I will say is the clinical skills teaching is second to none and you really will be competent by the time you get on the wards.

Advertisement