Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current UL GEM student

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Esophagus

JackD123 wrote: »
    I found out I didn't get the scholarship around 2 weeks into the course, I got the email at around 11.00pm at night... I remember it distinctly as I couldn't get to sleep afterwards haha.

I live off about 9K a year whilst I am at UL, so 30K with a job would be enough to get you through so long as you live privately and cheap.

The BOI loan covers fees nothing else, the issue is BOI are very strict about you having other debt and getting another loan to live may put them off lending to you.

I say that UL is not for everyone as you really are teaching yourself medicine. My life revolved around PBL, wikipedia and the occasional book. The exams also really are a weird one, I find a lot comes up that you can't possibly know and to be honest IF i was to choose again I would not of gone to UL but that is my own personal choice and a lot of people are loving the course and really enjoying it. However I am here now and will make the most of it. One thing I will say is the clinical skills teaching is second to none and you really will be competent by the time you get on the wards.
    2 weeks into the course... That is scandalous. Did they originally estimate "late August" last year as well?

The PBL comment is sad to hear, I did one module during my Biomed degree that was PBL-styled and I didn't find it too bad, but a whole degree focused around it is evidently something different. However, I do note that UL use the same curriculum as St George's in London, so it does not really matter to me as that would have been one of my uni choices.

Where is the 9k that you live off coming from exactly? Savings or another loan? 9k is a substantial amount, I don't think even with a tuition fee loan I'd be able to afford anything close to 9k on maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JackD123

Barring in mind I had previous expenses and have a house back home that i am paying for. I know students who have minimal outgoings are living off 200-300 e a month after they have paid rent.

I saved money before I came and had ways and means of getting it whilst I am here. UL is great, please do not let me put you off.. It is just different to what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CiaraaOD

JackD123 wrote: »
    The BOI loan covers fees nothing else, the issue is BOI are very strict about you having other debt and getting another loan to live may put them off lending to you.

Hi, just wondering how you know that BOI are very strict about other loans? Any idea how strict, I have outstanding loans of roughly €5000 and I intended to loan from the Credit Union to help me with living expenses while at UL.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BlehMcWeh

While PBL isn't for everyone a lot of people enjoy the format, it helps ensure that we have looked at the material at least once in a reasonable amount before exams.
    This aside, it is well known that UL graduates are well saught offer by consultants because of the extra clinical experience.
    Esophagus wrote: »
    2 weeks into the course... That is scandalous. Did they originally estimate "late August" last year as well?

The PBL comment is sad to hear, I did one module during my Biomed degree that was PBL-styled and I didn't find it too bad, but a whole degree focused around it is evidently something different. However, I do note that UL use the same curriculum as St George's in London, so it does not really matter to me as that would have been one of my uni choices.

Where is the 9k that you live off coming from exactly? Savings or another loan? 9k is a substantial amount, I don't think even with a tuition fee loan I'd be able to afford anything close to 9k on maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oops_A_Daisy

Hi All!

I've just finished my 1st year in UL this summer. I read an awful lot of stuff online about the course in UL before I moved down, so I thought I'd give my take on it.

PBL:
    I was apprehensive about doing a course through PBL before I started, but in the end my worries were completely unjustified. I found PBL to be an amazing way to learn. It kept me focused each week and engaged with what I was learning. I honestly don't think I would have learned as much as I have this year if I was sitting down the back of a lecture theatre 9-5 each day. The tutors attend meetings on each case about an hour before each PBL group meets so they know what to ensure each group needs to cover in a session. Its a lovely relaxed way to learn, and majority of the tutors are so lovely. PBL groups change 3 times in the year and your tutors 4 times a year, so if your not to happy with your PBL group's dynamic or the tutor, you can be rest assured that you'll be moving on in a few weeks and not stuck with them for the year. But really most are so lovely! I found that on average I spent the most part of my week prepping for my PBL and Anatomy sessions. I usually took at least 1 day off a week to relax (usually a Saturday), but approaching exams this obviously doesn't happen. PBL and Anatomy make up 30 out of 60 credits, and x3 of the 4 exams you will sit in the summer so it is important that you allocate it most of your week. It pays off because come exam time you'll have done all the work and compiled your notes which are ready for revision.

Clinical Skills:
    This part of the course in my opinion is just fantastic. Clinical is by far my favourite module as I felt I was actually learning to be a Doctor in the sessions. Twice a week you and your PBL group meet with a GP tutor who will teach you either a clinical exam or a history. For example if the weeks PBL case is Cardiology based, you would learn how to take a Chest pain history and also learn how to preform a Cardiovascular exam or an ECG. You get what you put into these sessions, and the tutors are great. It's also a nice break from PBL and anatomy. This module is examined at the end of the year by OCASE (x8 stations). UL's approach to clinical is fantastic and I really feel I'll be well equipped for the job in hand when I graduate.

Professional Competencies:
    This module is assessed by continuous assessment. It consisted of x4 Essays to be handed in over January and early February (titles are provided prior to Xmas), and the Early Patient Contact Programme (EPCP) report and workshop. For the EPCP you and 2 other classmates are assigned a patient of a local GP. You meet the patient 3 times between January and March. You then complete a report which the GP signs off, and this is then followed by a presentation in April. I enjoyed the EPCP aspect, but the essays were just annoying - and made for a lot of stress back in January as most of us didn't do them over the xmas break, so I had one due every week for 4 weeks. Personally if I could go and do it over, I'd still not do them over Xmas - you need your xmas break after exams.

Anatomy:
    I was most apprehensive about this aspect of the course, since I had read a bit on peoples opinions on it. Each week students are provided with a series of anatomical mini-cases which are connected to the PBL case. Completion of mini-cases, Anatomy PBL learning objectives and Anatomy tutorials (2hr session once a week by x3 Anatomy tutors) is how the anatomy is taught. The tutorials and mini-cases are not mandatory. I personally believe that this aspect of the course is definitely the weakest. More anatomy tutorials/lectures would I feel give students more confidence in this subject. That said most of the year preforms very well in their anatomy exams, and it often boosts students overall grades. Its the weakest part of the course from a teaching stand-point, but every course has its fall guy.

Money/Loans/Working part-time:
    As far as I know both Ulster bank and BOI offer loan packages to those that accept a place at UL. I went with UB since they offered a lower interest rate. However I had heard from other students that BOI were offering a maintenance loan of €10,000 also (to cover the 4 years though). Loans are reviewed each year and I was told from UB that if I took out a loan from another bank or credit union (regardless of what it is for) I would risk my tuition loan not being renewed for the coming year. This may change, but I would urge future students to be wary of this when choosing there loan provider. Ask the important questions!
    Working while on the course - personally I don't know how people do it if they are. I only knew a handful of students on the course that worked, and that was only 1 day a week. Personally I wouldn't advise it as I think 1 day off a week is required (see family and friends, keep up hobbies), but if needs must I suppose it could be done.

Would I recommend UL? - YES! 100%.

Feel free to PM or post here and I'll try answer any questions future UL students may have. All the best with the upcoming offers for those who are waiting! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

Wow, that sucks majorly. There is no way I am quitting my job, flying over, sorting out accomodation, and starting the course without something concrete about my chances. Ughhhh.

What is your source on this btw?

This yeah (2016) they didn't release the results of the scholarship until the beginning of week2 of the course. I live with someone on campus who got the scholarship and he found out on the Monday or Tuesday of week 2 😭😭😭

Wow, that sucks majorly. There is no way I am quitting my job, flying over, sorting out accomodation, and starting the course without something concrete about my chances. Ughhhh.

What is your source on this btw?
    Hi All!

I've just finished my 1st year in UL this summer. I read an awful lot of stuff online about the course in UL before I moved down, so I thought I'd give my take on it.

PBL:
    I was apprehensive about doing a course through PBL before I started, but in the end my worries were completely unjustified. I found PBL to be an amazing way to learn. It kept me focused each week and engaged with what I was learning. I honestly don't think I would have learned as much as I have this year if I was sitting down the back of a lecture theatre 9-5 each day. The tutors attend meetings on each case about an hour before each PBL group meets so they know what to ensure each group needs to cover in a session. Its a lovely relaxed way to learn, and majority of the tutors are so lovely. PBL groups change 3 times in the year and your tutors 4 times a year, so if your not to happy with your PBL group's dynamic or the tutor, you can be rest assured that you'll be moving on in a few weeks and not stuck with them for the year. But really most are so lovely! I found that on average I spent the most part of my week prepping for my PBL and Anatomy sessions. I usually took at least 1 day off a week to relax (usually a Saturday), but approaching exams this obviously doesn't happen. PBL and Anatomy make up 30 out of 60 credits, and x3 of the 4 exams you will sit in the summer so it is important that you allocate it most of your week. It pays off because come exam time you'll have done all the work and compiled your notes which are ready for revision.

Clinical Skills:
    This part of the course in my opinion is just fantastic. Clinical is by far my favourite module as I felt I was actually learning to be a Doctor in the sessions. Twice a week you and your PBL group meet with a GP tutor who will teach you either a clinical exam or a history. For example if the weeks PBL case is Cardiology based, you would learn how to take a Chest pain history and also learn how to preform a Cardiovascular exam or an ECG. You get what you put into these sessions, and the tutors are great. It's also a nice break from PBL and anatomy. This module is examined at the end of the year by OCASE (x8 stations). UL's approach to clinical is fantastic and I really feel I'll be well equipped for the job in hand when I graduate.

Professional Competencies:
    This module is assessed by continuous assessment. It consisted of x4 Essays to be handed in over January and early February (titles are provided prior to Xmas), and the Early Patient Contact Programme (EPCP) report and workshop. For the EPCP you and 2 other classmates are assigned a patient of a local GP. You meet the patient 3 times between January and March. You then complete a report which the GP signs off, and this is then followed by a presentation in April. I enjoyed the EPCP aspect, but the essays were just annoying - and made for a lot of stress back in January as most of us didn't do them over the xmas break, so I had one due every week for 4 weeks. Personally if I could go and do it over, I'd still not do them over Xmas - you need your xmas break after exams.

Anatomy:
    I was most apprehensive about this aspect of the course, since I had read a bit on peoples opinions on it. Each week students are provided with a series of anatomical mini-cases which are connected to the PBL case. Completion of mini-cases, Anatomy PBL learning objectives and Anatomy tutorials (2hr session once a week by x3 Anatomy tutors) is how the anatomy is taught. The tutorials and mini-cases are not mandatory. I personally believe that this aspect of the course is definitely the weakest. More anatomy tutorials/lectures would I feel give students more confidence in this subject. That said most of the year preforms very well in their anatomy exams, and it often boosts students overall grades. Its the weakest part of the course from a teaching stand-point, but every course has its fall guy.

Money/Loans/Working part-time:
    As far as I know both Ulster bank and BOI offer loan packages to those that accept a place at UL. I went with UB since they offered a lower interest rate. However I had heard from other students that BOI were offering a maintenance loan of €10,000 also (to cover the 4 years though). Loans are reviewed each year and I was told from UB that if I took out a loan from another bank or credit union (regardless of what it is for) I would risk my tuition loan not being renewed for the coming year. This may change, but I would urge future students to be wary of this when choosing there loan provider. Ask the important questions!
    Working while on the course - personally I don't know how people do it if they are. I only knew a handful of students on the course that worked, and that was only 1 day a week. Personally I wouldn't advise it as I think 1 day off a week is required (see family and friends, keep up hobbies), but if needs must I suppose it could be done.

Would I recommend UL? - YES! 100%.

Feel free to PM or post here and I'll try answer any questions future UL students may have. All the best with the upcoming offers for those who are waiting! :)

1000% agree with all this, as a present 1st year, maintaining a job while taking the course is dangerous. You really REALLY do need some down time and rest time. This is a very tough and very demanding coursem(sounds silly saying this but it really is a steep steep learning curve!!) pbl and clinical are great! Anatomy is slightly weak but they lecturers are great and they do try help any way they can and they are available to students to pop in on Wednesdays and ask questions.

The course is heavily digitalised, iPad for anatomy apps, recording/av system for skills, ocase/osce for clinical skills. It's a great building, well laid out.

If you start Medicine be prepared from day 1 to move and learn. The course pulls no punches but it is rewarding when by Christmas you can do a full ear exam, examine a pregnant and determine the lie and position of the baby, do a respiratory exam, do blood pressure and vitals, insert the mirena /Jaydess contraceptive device, take patient history, give advice on contraception and begin to see o "shapes and outlines" in a chest X-ray and learn ecg readings. That is when it really comes together and you really start to love it more.

I'd absolutely recommend the course, but I'll be frank- it's tough and hard going, you won't be spoon fed like didactic lectures but the people,staff and students are amazing. I wouldn't change my college at this stage, even if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Hey everyone :)

I'm Lisa and I've wanted to study graduate medicine for a little while now. I'm 20 and yesterday was diagnosed with a form of osteoarthritis (yeah, at 20, go me). Anyway, how do you think I'd get on in the junior doctor years? I need constant breaks to sit down because of pain and stiffness. I know I'd be grand as a doctor because I want to go into general practice and that wouldn't require much running around. It's the junior year that scares me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lisa :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

If you start Medicine be prepared from day 1 to move and learn. The course pulls no punches but it is rewarding when by Christmas you can do a full ear exam, examine a pregnant and determine the lie and position of the baby, do a respiratory exam, do blood pressure and vitals, insert the mirena /Jaydess contraceptive device, take patient history, give advice on contraception

How many of these have you done on a real person?

How many of these have you done on a real person?

You CAN'T perform on a member of the public when in 1st and 2nd year -you should know this. we practice on the student population and of course you don't perform intimate exams or insertions until you're under the supervision in 3rd year.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS. NO MEDICAL SCHOOL CAN ALLOW YOU PERFORM ON ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC-EVERYTHING IS SIMULATED IN AS REAL A SCENARIO AS POSSIBLE.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

• Advertisement

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

I'm Lisa and I've wanted to study graduate medicine for a little while now. I'm 20 and yesterday was diagnosed with a form of osteoarthritis (yeah, at 20, go me). Anyway, how do you think I'd get on in the junior doctor years? I need constant breaks to sit down because of pain and stiffness. I know I'd be grand as a doctor because I want to go into general practice and that wouldn't require much running around. It's the junior year that scares me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lisa :)

Lisa,

I think you would be best actually ringing the medical schools and asking. Get 1st hand information, or go meet them at open days.

I'll certainly ask in UL when I'm back on 3rd January 2017 if that is of any help

You CAN'T perform on a member of the public when in 1st and 2nd year -you should know this. we practice on the student population and of course you don't perform intimate exams or insertions until you're under the supervision in 3rd year.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS. NO MEDICAL SCHOOL CAN ALLOW YOU PERFORM ON ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC-EVERYTHING IS SIMULATED IN AS REAL A SCENARIO AS POSSIBLE.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

So the answer is you can't do any of those exams at all. You've theoretically learned how to do them. So don't pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

So the answer is you can't do any of those exams at all. You've theoretically learned how to do them. So don't pretend otherwise.

You're not wrong in fairness. The clinical teaching is good though and by the end of year two you would be expected to be quite skilled in all the skills thought, especially the bread and butter exams like cardio, resp and abdo. It doesn't all come together until year 3 to be honest. The grounding we get is excellent and easily transfers to an actual clinical setting but you don't get a grasp of pathology or even different types of normality for want of a better phrase, until you are regularly examining patients.

TGJD wrote: »
    You're not wrong in fairness. The clinical teaching is good though and by the end of year two you would be expected to be quite skilled in all the skills thought, especially the bread and butter exams like cardio, resp and abdo. It doesn't all come together until year 3 to be honest. The grounding we get is excellent and easily transfers to an actual clinical setting but you don't get a grasp of pathology or even different types of normality for want of a better phrase, until you are regularly examining patients.

Of course. I agree wholeheartedly. The previous poster was falsely presenting himself as proficient in independent practice of examining pregnant women, running a heart failure clinic on the side and also doing locum ent reviews!

What are the USMLE scores like down there BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Of course. I agree wholeheartedly. The previous poster was falsely presenting himself as proficient in independent practice of examining pregnant women, running a heart failure clinic on the side and also doing locum ent reviews!

What are the USMLE scores like down there BTW?

I can't tell you for sure because I didn't bother doing it since I have no interest in leaving Ireland and had enough on my plate but from what I've heard a lot of people from ul do very well. But its really something you'd need to study outside of the work for ul because a lot of the usmle stuff wouldn't be covered. Though there is a seperate usmle course running some evenings but you need to pay for it.

Advertisement