Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pets and Dublin airport

• 18-09-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hello, is there correct that Dublin Airport has a regulation over pets entering Ireland that must be enter the country only by cargo ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Post split away from a five year old thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

No, if unaccompanied they must fly with an approved carrier. Check on dept of agriculture website for up-to-date information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

We would like to take her with us, accompanied, into the plane, however they told us, that she can go up to Paris (we fly to Paris first, and Dublin next), cause Dublin airport does not accept dogs. Only with cargo.
    Getting her into the cabin, or in the special compartment of the plane, costs 40-60€
    Sending her with a cargo plane costs >500€...

Is this true, Dublin airport does not accept dogs? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't know the definite reasons, but I can think of a few.

If people in large quantities start bringing pets through as passengers, rather than as cargo you need to have arrangements for sandboxes for them between the landing gates and the exit. Someone needs to check their paperwork and make sure they're compliant - this could take hours. By having the pet as cargo they can go straight from the climate controlled plane to the animal centre in Dublin airport where they can be fed/watered as necessary while this is happening. If people were just strolling off the plane with dogs on a leash it's far harder to control. And you _know_ there'd always be a few people who would try to smuggle their dogs out without the checks, purely because their little Mitzi is perfect and they shouldn't have to wait around.

Another problem is that while the animals are crated and under the vet's care, they can't infect each other. If there's a mill of owners standing around with dogs on leads, they could start infecting each other.

In general it's more hassle than it's worth for the airline, who are responsible. Different airlines may have different rules and may be more willing to accommodate your pet and all that needs to be done. You'd probably have a better chance with the big national carriers than the low cost lines.

Sorry Thoie, that is not the case here. Every other country in EE, accepts animals that are accompanied from passengers. If they are less than 10kg (overall with the crate) they are allowed in the cabin, however they stay inside the crate throughout the whole trip. Also, there is check and paperwork before and after (passports, chip, health certificates, etc). Maximum allowed pets per flight is two, so not everyone can carry them. On the other hand, pets heavier than 10kg can travel in the suitcase storage. Procedure is the same, you just not getting the pet into the cabin.

The question is why UK & I do not comply with EE regulations to accept animals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Every other country isn't an island, the dept make the most of this to maintain our bio security.
    If we have pets from Spain mixing with those from brazil(just examples) the potential for disease to be spread hence the need for proper procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

pets heavier than 10kg can travel in the suitcase storage. Procedure is the same, you just not getting the pet into the cabin.
    I would be very surprised if this is happening, we have very strict rules regarding the carriage of live animals and I can assume you that they are not just loaded like a suitcase. When they are carried as cargo, their container must have adequate space around it, so the airline cannot use that space for anything else, you unfortunately end up paying for the actual volume used and not the dogs weight so its expensive.

ganmo wrote: »
    Every other country isn't an island, the dept make the most of this to maintain our bio security.
    If we have pets from Spain mixing with those from brazil(just examples) the potential for disease to be spread hence the need for proper procedure.
    smurfjed wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if this is happening, we have very strict rules regarding the carriage of live animals and I can assume you that they are not just loaded like a suitcase. When they are carried as cargo, their container must have adequate space around it, so the airline cannot use that space for anything else, you unfortunately end up paying for the actual volume used and not the dogs weight so its expensive.

Sorry guys, maybe it is me, cause irish is not my native tongue, so I cannot explain 100% what I mean...

Planes have a specific compartment for animals. I said "suitcase compartment" cause I do not know the actual word. This space has ventilation and temperature regulator. It is a specific space for that use. Air France can take the animal anywhere, except UK & I.

Now, for what @ganmo said, I totally agree, however it is not that my dog will not come to Ireland, it will, but I have to pay >500€ for that, where for any other EE country I would have payed 30-40€ to get her in the cabin.

I suspect it's a combination of Irish animal movement rules, and the airlines. The airlines clearly have spaces for animals, but choose not to use them when travelling to UKI. Similarly, our government doesn't dictate to the airlines how to carry the animals - only what must happen before departure and on arrival.

You will probably find that the airlines don't want to go to a lot of trouble on arrival and it's easiest for them to meet Irish regulations by insisting that pets travel as cargo.

It's longer and more awkward, but have you considered taking a ferry from France to Ireland? Irish Ferries charge around €30-€70 for pets to stay in a kennel for the crossing.

Thoie wrote: »
    It's longer and more awkward, but have you considered taking a ferry from France to Ireland? Irish Ferries charge around €30-€70 for pets to stay in a kennel for the crossing.
    I have already book the tickets, since AF told us that they take animals... :(

• Advertisement

This depends on where you depart from. Ireland and UK are considered rabies free so that's why so strict. You would need to adhere to dept of agriculture requirement a. Then you will be liable for vet charges upon arrival. Lissenhall vets look after any quarantine issues. Again depends where your coming from

Air France, flies from Athens to Paris. It is ok to get our dog in cabin.
    City Jet on the other hand, tells us that they could get our dog in cabin, however it is an Irish rule that does not permit it:
    Hello <snip>,
    pets in cabin are not allowed on flight to / from Ireland if it is not assistance animal.
    For more information please contact our reservations department regarding this. You can find the contacts here: http://www.cityjet.com/contact/
    However, we conacted the ministry of Agriculture and here is their response:
    Regarding pets in cabin, here is the official answer from Agriculture Department of Etsy Ireland "agriculture.gov.ie": Dear Ms. <snip>, Information on travelling with cats, dogs or ferrets to/from other Member states of the EU is outlined on the Departments website http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/
    As regards air travel, the Department does not require that pets from the EU be carried as (cargo) manifested freight and it is therefore a matter for the airlines to decide whether to carry the animal in the cabin or as excess baggage.
    So City Jet is lying to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawney

I flew in and out of Dublin with a dog about 3 years ago. She wasn't allowed in the cabin with me, but was placed in a specific area of the cargo hold. Pressurised in the same way as the main passenger cabin (in fact, on one of these flights she was in the cabin itself, where the air stewards sit, but was in her crate and I wasn't allowed to see her during the flight), it cost me about €20 each way.

In Both airports she was taken from me about an hour before the flight, and returned to me in the luggage area (she was actually put on the oversize luggage carousel in Dublin, but that's a whole other story!). It seems to me that city jet don't allow dogs in cabins, and they mustn't have a suitable area of the cargo hold to safely carry pets... You could try a different airline? Booking new flights would probably be cheaper than paying the €500 quoted to ship over in cargo.

Any difficulties are unlikely to be due to Ireland's rabies free status as since the intro of the Balai directive all pet travel across Europe now requires pet passport, microchipping, and of course administration of the rabies vaccine.

Totally agree with you @Dawney, we are not asking something weird, here, just to take our dog along, not necessarily in the cabin.

It's obviously Cityjet's policy (http://www.cityjet.com/flying-with-us/terms-and-conditions/index.shtml#Q11). Nothing in the snippet you quoted above said it was anything to do with Irish laws, just that they only carry service animals and no other pets.

Given that you were sold the tickets by AF on the basis that they accept animals (presuming the Athens-Paris-Dublin are all on the same ticket number), I'd say you'd have good grounds for cancelling and requesting a refund. If they're on separate tickets (ie you booked Athens-Paris and booked Paris-Dublin separately) then you don't.

Airline's aren't obliged to carry anything or anyone - each airline can decide for themselves. It sounds like Cityjet just aren't set up to carry animals on those planes, or just don't want to for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Two things ... AFAIK Cityjet don't fly direct from Paris to Dublin but via London City airport, which is probably not set up for animals, as it's primarily a business airport and quite small. Secondly, the planes that fly on these routes are very specific to the routes that fly in and out of London City due to the low noise requirements and are also quite small. They probably have very limited, or even no freight space at all. See https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Blue1-rj85.jpg

My flights were between the UK and Ireland, so perhaps you could look at flying in to the UK with your dog? And then onto Ireland? The carrier I used was Aer Lingus regional, it has to be the regional and not just Aer Lingus, as these routes were provided by Aer Arran who have since been taken over by Aer Lingus. Aer Arran allows pets to travel for minimal cost, and so Aer Lingus continued with that policy on these routes. You do need to check with them first though as they have a weight limit, and minimal numbers allowed.

Hope this helps, and that you find a way over. As someone suggested earlier, if all else fails, the ferry is a great option and would still be cheaper than paying manifest cargo prices to fly your dog over.

AFAIK Cityjet don't fly direct from Paris to Dublin but via London City a
    cityjet fly directly to Paris about 5 times a day on behalf of air france.
    Aer Arran who have since been taken over by Aer Lingus
    Aer Arran were taken over by the stobart group and became stobart air, they operate flights for Aer lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cityjet fly directly to Paris about 5 times a day on behalf of air france.
    Not according to their website they don't.

http://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/dub/pari/150923/airfares-from-dublin-to-paris-in-september-2015.html?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&cabinclass=economy&rtn=0&preferdirects=false&outboundaltsenabled=false&inboundaltsenabled=false

Not sure if that link will work, but use Skyscanner, Dublin - Paris with Air France, you will see that they are operated by Cityjet. I have used them once or twice a month for the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

Aer Arran were taken over by the stobart group and became stobart air, they operate flights for Aer lingus

Oops, apologies, was under the impression they'd been taken over by AL as they fly their regional routes. Thanks for clearing that up :)

If your are originating from Athens use Lufthansa to carry the dog. You don't have to be on the same flight as the animals. Contact a local cargo agent that ships live animals known as avi. It's not going to be cheap once an animal flies unaccompanied. Are you moving here or coming on holiday?

Every airline have their own policy but are governed by iata lar rules

Do you know ANY airline that would allow pets in the plane (cabin or cargo) with Dublin as destination?
    My option here is to cancel my tickets, ask for o FULL refund and book another flight

Wizard! wrote:
    Do you know ANY airline that would allow pets in the plane (cabin or cargo) with Dublin as destination? My option here is to cancel my tickets, ask for o FULL refund and book another flight

Lufhansa

Lufhansa
    Thanx! I will contact them asap, since it is much cheaper to fly with them, instead of sending our dog with cargo

Nope, we just talked to them. They do not accept dogs either for UK&I

Yes they do, as mentioned earlier get in touch with a local cargo agent who will arrange it for you. The airline accepts animal s through cargo agents. The animal will be in the cargo hold. Some airline s do not offer this service to the general public as cargo agents will provide all documents. Google ipata. They have a country by country list of agents

We found an agent to carry the dog as cargo. The point was to get the dog along in the same flight with us.
    I have to pay 250e for our tickets and 800e for the cargo.
    If I requested a cancellation, since they told us they would accept dogs, but eventually they do not, I would get my 250e back and avoid paying 800e, total of 1050e.
    Then I could book the flight with Lufthansa, with total cost of 480e, including the dog. But as I said, we contacted them today, and refused to take the dog from Munich to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Usually best not to fly on same flight. There is no benefit at all. Transfer in Frankfurt is a lot longer for animals than pax. Fly yourselves in cheapest way and just be here before the animal arrives

Get the cargo agent to contact the airlines on your behalf

...There is no benefit at all...
    If we could take the dog with us, it would be a cost of 40 euros. Now we need to pay ~800 euros. Am I missing something here...?

Wizard! wrote:
    If we could take the dog with us, it would be a cost of 40 euros. Now we need to pay ~800 euros. Am I missing something here...?

You can't avail of the forty euro deal? To travel on the same flight as the dog in the cargo hold has no benefit and can even be more problematic. With no direct flight the dog may have an overnight stay at connecting airport. What happens if the dog is refused travel for any reason. Your local cargo agent will advise all of this. Question? I'd this a holiday or a permanent move?

You can't avail of the forty euro deal? To travel on the same flight as the dog in the cargo hold has no benefit and can even be more problematic. With no direct flight the dog may have an overnight stay at connecting airport. What happens if the dog is refused travel for any reason. Your local cargo agent will advise all of this. Question? I'd this a holiday or a permanent move?

When you fly with your dog and having connecting flights, you are called to go to see your dog once you arrive at each destination. You need to see if everything is ok, to feed it, clean it if needed and take it for a quick walk, before getting into the next plane. There is surely no issue getting your dog with you, even in long flights. Maybe it is even better, because it will be in touch with you every few hours. While flying with cargo, you leave your dog a morning for example and getting it, 2-3 days later.

We are moving in Ireland permanently, that is why we want our dog along with us.

No longer than 24 hrs transit time from Athens. Best use an ipata registered agent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mslavka

Hi Wizard,

how worked it out for you and your dog? We are in the same situation - moving to Ireland and trying to find out how to bring dog and cat with as. Cargo is definitely not an option at least for a dog. I will appreciate any recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westkryveggirl

ferry is definitely the best, cheapest, and least hassle option!

Depends on many factors. Where the origin is , type and size of pet

Advertisement