Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Arsenal, 12.45pm k/o

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Oh stop with the faux outrage.

It's pathetic.

Irony overload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's fairly horrible.

Yes it is. But if you act like a scumbag, dont come crying when you get treated like one. To use a recent example, if the PSV players had accused Luke shaw of faking while he lay there with a broken leg, how many tears would have been shed at them getting a kick in retaliation? Not many

It's simple. Act like a gentleman and you get treated like one. Act like the other....and you get your just deserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Football will be the winner.

Nil Nil.

So probably wrong on both counts.

3 important points for Chelsea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thoroughly enjoyed the game up to the sending off. It was end to end stuff, had a classic derby feel about it! Cech deservedly got a good reception from the home crowd, terrific keeper. Glad he's still 1st choice keeper for a team in the Premier League.
    There was a spell before the second goal where I felt Chelsea would falter and concede but thanks be a fook the second went in.
    Good game, onwards and upwards to 13th, yeeeeoww!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Costa being described as a "warrior". Bloody hilarious. Chelsea fans are the gift that keep on giving.

• Advertisement

Costa being described as a "warrior". Bloody hilarious. Chelsea fans are the gift that keep on giving.

I wanted him to be labelled as a 'Zeus, king of the Olympian Gods'...but I was over ruled.
    i'll appeal it at the next CFC Fan club meeting, don't you worry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He's more Quasimodo than Zeus to be honest. :P

Kirby wrote: »
    He's more Quasimodo than Zeus to be honest. :P

Fackin' ell Kirby!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

As a Liverpool fan and a HUGE Suarez fan.

Costa is the exact same breed as Suarez. They are both hated by everyone but fans they played for. They love to win and will do ANYTHING to win. But the problem is they behave like idiots on the field when they are trying to win.

They act like scumbags (I am not calling them scumbags in anyway) to other people. Costa has flicked snot, spat, heatbutted and yes even bitten opponents. Suarez we all know his history.

The passion they have for winning is admirable for their own fans because they show fight that some players may not. For example Joe Cole never showed fight for Liverpool. Half the team right now dont show fight for Liverpool :D So when you have these type of players like Suarez or Costa you cant help but love them.

BUT you can see how others hate them and their antics.

Costa should be punished but probably wont be. How that man doesnt have more reds is unbelievable. He headbutted Coleman last season and walked free. The mans passion as I said is admirable but it is borderline dangerous at times.

If he played for Liverpool I would love him regardless though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mr.H wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan and a HUGE Suarez fan.

Costa is the exact same breed as Suarez. They are both hated by everyone but fans they played for. They love to win and will do ANYTHING to win. But the problem is they behave like idiots on the field when they are trying to win.

They act like scumbags (I am not calling them scumbags in anyway) to other people. Costa has flicked snot, spat, heatbutted and yes even bitten opponents. Suarez we all know his history.

The passion they have for winning is admirable for their own fans because they show fight that some players may not. For example Joe Cole never showed fight for Liverpool. Half the team right now dont show fight for Liverpool :D So when you have these type of players like Suarez or Costa you cant help but love them.

BUT you can see how others hate them and their antics.

Costa should be punished but probably wont be. How that man doesnt have more reds is unbelievable. He headbutted Coleman last season and walked free. The mans passion as I said is admirable but it is borderline dangerous at times.

If he played for Liverpool I would love him regardless though

Fair enough but I just don't get this thinking.

It's like saying its ok to do wrong things like headbutt people as long as its one of your own.

But if its not one of your own its wrong.

Is there not some bit of hypocrisy in this? Is it a belief we should all carry in life?

Thrown all your morals out the window for a football club just seems strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Fair enough but I just don't get this thinking.

It's like saying its ok to do wrong things like headbutt people as long as its one of your own.

But if its not one of your own its wrong.

Is there not some bit of hypocrisy in this? Is it a belief we should all carry in life?

Thrown all your morals out the window fora football club just seems strange.

Unfortunately this is football

I doubt many Arsenal fans will allude to the fact that no team has more red cards in the Premier league era than Arsenal............... They love their club and that is one thing I can understand about them.

Its not that its excusable. Its that it is overlooked for the "good" qualities it brings such as passion.

By the way I agree its not right. But I am saying that I get it and I know I do it also. We all do.

Henry's handball wouldnt have outraged if it was Keane's handball for example

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes it is. But if you act like a scumbag, dont come crying when you get treated like one. To use a recent example, if the PSV players had accused Luke shaw of faking while he lay there with a broken leg, how many tears would have been shed at them getting a kick in retaliation? Not many

It's simple. Act like a gentleman and you get treated like one. Act like the other....and you get your just deserts.

First of all, Haaland had no idea that Keane had torn a ligament. It looked like he had dived, he collapsed with little contact. Secondly, Keane did the exact same you accuse Haaland of ie. leaning over an injured player and mouthing off.

There is an old saying about sticks and stones. Keane used to brood for years over words. And he was nasty. His stamp on Southgate was awful. And getting back to Costa, so far he has not shown anything like that level of nastiness, so no Irish supporter who cheered on Keane can really moan about picking nasty players, we glorified one.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is football

I doubt many Arsenal fans will allude to the fact that no team has more red cards in the Premier league era than Arsenal............... They love their club and that is one thing I can understand about them.

Its not that its excusable. Its that it is overlooked for the "good" qualities it brings such as passion.

By the way I agree its not right. But I am saying that I get it and I know I do it also. We all do.

Henry's handball wouldnt have outraged if it was Keane's handball for example
    I'm sorry if I don't find headbutting scratching eye gouging unacceptable on a football field or off one.

I must not love my club as much as the next person so.

And I'll stay that way thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

First of all, Haaland had no idea that Keane had torn a ligament. It looked like he had dived, he collapsed with little contact. Secondly, Keane did the exact same you accuse Haaland of ie. leaning over an injured player and mouthing off.

There is an old saying about sticks and stones. Keane used to brood for years over words. And he was nasty. His stamp on Southgate was awful. And getting back to Costa, so far he has not shown anything like that level of nastiness, so no Irish supporter who cheered on Keane can really moan about picking nasty players, we glorified one.

So if someone else gave Costa that same treatment, Jose wouldn't be shouting about it.

Not a Keane fan, but Costa is a nasty player.

I'm sorry if I don't find headbutting scratching eye gouging unacceptable on a football field or off one.

I must not love my club as much as the next person so.

And I'll stay that way thank you.

So if you don't find it unacceptable, does that mean that you in fact....do find it acceptable?.......

Panthro wrote: »
    So if you don't find it unacceptable, does that mean that you in fact....do find it acceptable?.......

It's come to picking my grammar mistakes I see.

Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Football fans are hypocrites. Is this a surprise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I can get the blinkers due to fan bias but anyone who doesn't see anything wrong with Costa yesterday is worrying. Even by his own standards he was ridiculously over the top. And calling him a "warrior" is hilarious. He started begging for Gabriel to be sent off after a little kick. He is more of a cry baby than warrior. He just has major anger issues and is a thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I can get the blinkers due to fan bias but anyone who doesn't see anything wrong with Costa yesterday is worrying. Even by his own standards he was ridiculously over the top. And calling him a "warrior" is hilarious. He started begging for Gabriel to be sent off after a little kick. He is more of a cry baby than warrior. He just has major anger issues and is a thug.

In morality terms, it's called utilitarianism I think. The ends justify the means.

The opposite, deontology, is where something is right or wrong on it's own merits.

The problem with saying Costa's form of cheating is OK because it's justified by the results he gets is that it's analogous to Juve bribing refs or someone deliberately injuring a player.

gosplan wrote: »
    In morality terms, it's called utilitarianism I think. The ends justify the means.

The opposite, deontology, is where something is right or wrong on it's own merits.

The problem with saying Costa's form of cheating is OK because it's justified by the results he gets is that it's analogous to Juve bribing refs or someone deliberately injuring a player.

Very true win by any means ay.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thanks for all the facepalm lols. Looking forward to doing this all again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That doesn't mean anything. You think it's not extremely nasty to stamp on a player into his chest or try to sever someone's knee because the guilty party "could take as much as he dished out"?

That's just a cliche fired at the issue and it doesn't make sense. A player is either nasty or not. Keane was nasty. Costa is. Keane went out to injure and hurt players because, in his head, he held grudges for years.

I don't know what exactly your arguing against. My point was to simply state that Costa isn't of the same ilk as Keane, in that he could take it without moaning or the antics that Costa does. I already said Keane was nasty so I don't know what you're trying to disprove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The arse. A model club

https://vine.co/v/OphZEwAa9im

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement