Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Arsenal, 12.45pm k/o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Costa will be the perfect bad guy in a remake of the The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Arsenal's indiscipline will not only cost them but also take the light off that should be shone on Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

niallo27 wrote: »
    You would have an extra 7 or 8 yellows a game then. It wasn't a clear dive.

Yes. You would. For a few months. Then all the fakers would be sick of missing games due to bans and the culture of flopping would change. It was a clear dive. You need to accept that. Diving isnt just when there is zero contact. If I punch you in the arm and you fall down, you are diving. Have I broken the rules? Absolutely and I should be sent off. But that has nothing to do with you being a big faker and diving on the ground. You need to understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Cazorla commited two fouls in the game. Anyone calling his first contentious tackle in nearly an hour a "definite booking" is into a different sport than me.

It was late and on the ankle. Yellow all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Quazzie wrote: »
    Says it all about everyone at the club.

I deleted what I actually wanted to say about them as I would have been banned.

What do you expect of a club whose success is based on tainted Russian money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Johner wrote: »
    You'd love a player like Costa playing for Arsenal.

No. I actually wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Corholio wrote: »
    Arsenal's indiscipline will not only cost them but also take the light off that should be shone on Costa.

There will be plenty of light on the fact that he is a tramp, and probably a ban as well, thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Decent striker, unapologetic cheat and all round unpleasant embarassing personality. Thats the trade off. You have to think refs will be taking a very close look at him now. Glad Costa is not on my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Standing ovation for Costa. Thats the Chelsea fans for you folks.

That's football fans for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cazorla commited two fouls in the game. Anyone calling his first contentious tackle in nearly an hour a "definite booking" is into a different sport than me.

So which rules exempts a player for receiving a card if they haven't committed a foul for xxx period of time ? It was a booking, if you think it shouldn't be you are wrong... Write to FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

And people wonder why nobody likes Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

whatever about Cazorla the failure to send off Costa has changed the whole game. who knows what would have happened if it was Costa and not Gab who was sent off

And it probably should have been a penalty to chelsea in the 1st half too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Costa is such a fantastic player to have, when the chips are down, he doesn't go missing.

Unless it's against Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

peteeeed wrote: »
    Clapping their own . I know

I think the Chelsea fans behaviour in this game goes beyond the realms of "clapping their own".

Their chants of "Diego" after he got Gabriel sent off were belligerent and distasteful.

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes. You would. For a few months. Then all the fakers would be sick of missing games due to bans and the culture of flopping would change. It was a clear dive. You need to accept that. Diving isnt just when there is zero contact. If I punch you in the arm and you fall down, you are diving. Have I broken the rules? Absolutely and I should be sent off. But that has nothing to do with you being a big faker and diving on the ground. You need to understand this.

But then defenders would get away with murder as players would be afraid to go to ground. They would get away with constant pulling and dragging. It's not an easy fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Johner wrote: »
    You'd love a player like Costa playing for Arsenal. Just the type of player you need to turn you into winners. Arsenal don't have enough of players like him.

Arsenal don't like players with balls though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

No card there?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    No. I actually wouldnt.

It's exactly what the need. Too many soft players in the arsenal side. No headcases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But then defenders would get away with murder as players would be afraid to go to ground. They would get away with constant pulling and dragging. It's not an easy fix.

It's not an easy fix. It's a difficult fix...it would take effort. But I'm glad you have recognised its a problem worthy of being fixed. Players should be afraid to "go to ground". If I slam your standing leg, you fall over because you cannot stay up. It's not a choice. If I tap your foot and you decide to flop, you are cjhoosing to dive. The fact that i fouled you isnt relevant. If it's a choice, you are diving and deserve what you get.

Lukker- wrote: »

They'd be afraid they'd offend someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It was late and on the ankle. Yellow all day.

I completely disagree. Good refereeing (which has been completely absent today, without question) involves reading the ebb and flow of how the game has gone. He'd already buttf**ked Arsenal in the first incident, was Cazorla a liability going around flying into tackles? no. If he booked him would he go, would it end the game as a contest? completely. Is there leeway to give the free and have a word? definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You would have an extra 7 or 8 yellows a game then. It wasn't a clear dive.

And what would be wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Lukker- wrote: »

How did he show he "had balls"? Was it the way he went running to the ref cos he got a tap on his shins?

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I think the Chelsea fans behaviour in this game goes beyond the realms of "clapping their own".

Their chants of "Diego" after he got Gabriel sent off were belligerent and distasteful.

Viera often got standing ovations after getting sent off for violent contact. Keane did after nearly breaking halland. Football fans have blind loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chelsea win.

Arsenal bottle these type of games.

And Jose record against Wenger is too one sided.

And it continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Congratulations to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's too easy to say Arsenal need a 'Costa'. They just need a leader who can get stuck into them and lead the team, they don't have enough of them. It's not Costa's that they need it's leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Dixon doing a terrible job of concealing his Arsenal bias, by trying to say that the second yellow for Cazorla was harsh.

For such a watery, milquetoast team, they still managed to get two red cards.

Arsenal haven't just let down their own fans, but fans of other clubs who hate Chelsea and their 'lovely' fans.

It's not an easy fix. It's a difficult fix...it would take effort. But I'm glad you have recognised its a problem worthy of being fixed. Players should be afraid to "got to ground". It's not a choice. If it's a choice, you are diving and deserve what you get.

It is a problem but defenders get away with murder and it's never talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You'd have to think that's the turning point in Chelsea's season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's not an easy fix. It's a difficult fix...it would take effort. But I'm glad you have recognised its a problem worthy of being fixed. Players should be afraid to "go to ground". If I slam your standing leg, you fall over because you cannot stay up. It's not a choice. If I tap your foot and you decide to flop, you are cjhoosing to dive. The fact that i fouled you isnt relevant. If it's a choice, you are diving and deserve what you get.

While i hate diving if you are fouled and you should get a free or a penalty you have to go to ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Hopefully this will kick-start Chelsea's season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Dixon doing a terrible job of concealing his Arsenal bias, by trying to say that the second yellow for Cazorla was harsh.

For such a watery, milquetoast team, they still managed to get two red cards.

Arsenal haven't just let down their own fans, but fans of other clubs who hate Chelsea and their 'lovely' fans.

Rather enjoy Dixon's commentary to be honest, Le Saux is a 'watery' presence though.

I completely disagree. Good refereeing (which has been completely absent today, without question) involves reading the ebb and flow of how the game has gone. He'd already buttf**ked Arsenal in the first incident, was Cazorla a liability going around flying into tackles? no. If he booked him would he go, would it end the game as a contest? completely. Is there leeway to give the free and have a word? definitely.

We went refs to have consistency and for me that's a yellow all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Barr wrote: »
    Hopefully this will kick-start Chelsea's season

What they are going to use Costa to try and get a player sent off in every game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Zouma had a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Rather enjoy Dixon's commentary to be honest, Le Saux is a 'watery' presence though.

For an obviously intelligent man Le Saux is quite bland. Prefer Pat Nevin in the intelligent footballer role myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

A game that should of finished 10 vs 10 finishes 11 vs 9.

Referees must know by now that Costa does this sort of crap every game.

• Advertisement

On the plus side, Chelsea really do look average. Struggled to put the game to bed against 9/10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Didn't expect anything less than a loss today.

Didn't expect 2 red cards either. Gabriel fell for Costa's childish bullshít, he won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Basil3 wrote: »
    On the plus side, Chelsea really do look average. Struggled to put the game to bed against 9/10 men.

They didn't need to, 2-0, just control the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Basil3 wrote: »

Yes :)

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Referees must know by now that Costa does this sort of crap every game.

He does, so you'd think a professional like Gabriel wouldn't be dumb enough to give him the reaction he's looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Didn't expect 2 red cards either. Gabriel fell for Costa's childish bullshít, he won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Ha, I bet you don't think scoring a goal is "childish bull****" lol

• Advertisement

I'd hate Costa too, if he didn't play for Chelsea.

But what I find annoying is the hypocritical attitude where Chelsea fans get criticized for backing him. If we booed him we'd get called plastic fans who don't support their player. Every fan would support him if he played for their own team. Much like Viera, Keane etc, he's a headcase, but he gets the team fired up and gets under the skin of opposition. I don't agree with how he carries on much of the time but his effort can never be faulted, he runs himself into the ground for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Yes he will, because he's an idiot. He should've been sent off for an elbow off the ball last week.

Not surprised with the result. Badly needed win for Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal fans would cheer Costa all day if he played for them

The naivety to suggest otherwise

Gabriel is young, he'll learn a valuable lesson from this IMO. That said, he has the makings of a very very good CB. The type of player Arsenal have been lacking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement