Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Arsenal, 12.45pm k/o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Arsenal fans would cheer Costa all day if he played for them

The naivety to suggest otherwise

He's actually not that good.

He has been bad for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Barr wrote: »
    Hopefully this will kick-start Chelsea's season

I'm not sure it says a lot about them that they scored a goal only after Arsenal had been reduced to ten men, then scored a second against a nine man side.

Arsenal should have relished their opportunity against a Chelsea team who haven't found their form, instead they handed them the game. Wenger should pull a Ferguson and give his team the 'hairdryer treatment' in the dressing room. Maybe throw the odd boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal fans would cheer Costa all day if he played for them

The naivety to suggest otherwise

Every team loves a bastrd if he's their bastrd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cech got a good reaction from the Chelsea fans which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Essien wrote: »
    He does, so you'd think a professional like Gabriel wouldn't be dumb enough to give him the reaction he's looking for.

If the referee had dealth with the initial situation, the Gabriel incident would have never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Essien wrote: »
    He does, so you'd think a professional like Gabriel wouldn't be dumb enough to give him the reaction he's looking for.
    Gabriel was bloody stupid for getting suckered into it by the ultimate WUM. But aren't refs watching Costa? They surely can't say they don't know what he's like. Yes, I'm aware that what's gone before shouldn't matter on a matchday, but refs are definitely influenced by a player's past misdeeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

It was poor captaining from Santi. Should have had a word with Gabriel to calm him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Well done Chelsea disappointed as a Gunner but you reep what you sow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    A game that should of finished 10 vs 10 finishes 11 vs 9.

Referees must know by now that Costa does this sort of crap every game.

If the ref got the initial Costa call right it would have been 11 v 10 in arsenal's favour. We got shafted, but we're a naive side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Costa hasn't been sent off in years, he is not naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Missed the 1st half and just saw the replays there of what Costa what was up to. How on earth did he not get sent off for all that carry on ?!

Costa even got up to some stuff that I didn't see in the match

https://twitter.com/afcbase/status/645233538267258880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

As a Chelsea fan, a good few plusses. Hazard and Fab are getting back to their best (particularly Hazard). Zouma took his goal well and I think there are a good few more goals in him in the coming years. Add in the fine performance by the youngsters mid-week, especially RLC, and it's been a decent week.

Arsenal? I agree with an earlier comment - not enough leaders on the pitch.

We got ****ed, a better linesman sees the Costa incident and we go in at the break 11 v 10. Gabriel is an idiot though, he was kept away from Costa when he looked like he was going to kill him, then he goes up the field anyway and kicks him. He's a good player with a nasty edge to him, but he's not clever like Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If the ref got the initial Costa call right it would have been 11 v 10 in arsenal's favour. We got shafted, but we're a naive side.

I said 10 vs 10 as cazorlas second yellow was deserved

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I said 10 vs 10 as cazorlas second yellow was deserved

The game is entirely different from then on if Costa gets sent off when he should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I wouldn't have had a problem with Gabriel being sent off if Costa had been sent off too. Just think it was farcical refereeing to send off Gabriel and not Costa. Anyway, a tough defeat to take but knew it was over once we went down to ten men. On to the next game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hope both managers had the respect to shake each others hands at the end of the gene.

Hope both managers had the respect to shake each others hands at the end of the gene.

Is your interest in something so trivial a result of the lack of footballing success of your supported team do you think? or did you always have a inclination towards monitoring the social interaction of strangers?

• Advertisement

There wasn't a handshake at the end of the game and I see no issue with that. Wenger and Mourinho don't like each other, (probably don't even respect each other) everybody can see that. So I don't know why there is such a big deal made of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Couldn't care less whether Mourinho & Wenger shook hands, embraced or even went the whole way after the game. Costa's the perfect Chelsea player, typifies the English huns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is your interest in something so trivial a result of the lack of footballing success of your supported team do you think? or did you always have a inclination towards monitoring the social interaction of strangers?

Unsure what relevance the first question has. Who do you believe that I support?

The question was in reference to Wenger talking about respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Surprisingly not, Mourinho had to virtually corner Wenger to get a handshake before the game and Wenger ran down the tunnel at the end of the game.

Not a fan of the handshake nonsense at all tbh but it's funny how the fuss is only made when it's Mourinho supposedly doing the snubbing.

Unsure what relevance the first question has. Who do you believe that I support?

The question was in reference to Wenger talking about respect.

I don't have a clue who you support, just trying to understand what drives people to care about such things.
    Didn't see Wengers press talk.

hots wrote: »
    Surprisingly not, Mourinho had to virtually corner Wenger to get a handshake before the game and Wenger ran down the tunnel at the end of the game.

Not a fan of the handshake nonsense at all tbh but it's funny how the fuss is only made when it's Mourinho supposedly doing the snubbing.

He's a victim alright.

Poor man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People concerned/outraged whether two grown men shake hands or not really have a messed up perspective or the world's pressing issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

gosplan wrote: »
    People concerned/outraged whether two grown men shake hands or not really have a messed up perspective or the world's pressing issues.

Sure anyone sitting watching a football match whilst the world's pressing issues go on have a pretty messed up perspective too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

symbolic wrote: »
    Sure anyone sitting watching a football match whilst the world's pressing issues go on have a pretty messed up perspective too :)

Ah yeah, no doubt. But it's just entertainment. Moralising about it is a bit nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I couldn't give a **** who shakes what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

hots wrote: »

I wouldn't blame Wenger tbh. Mourinho is an appalling individual when it comes to respect given to other managers, especially Wenger. Just look at his post match interview...it's utterly deplorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Good to see Pete again.
    May he live long n prospet (just not at the Bridge!)
    Onward in upward!

No denying Costa has a nasty streak, but presumably anyone who comes out with the "would hate a nasty player on our team" objected to Roy Keane playing for our national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No denying Costa has a nasty streak, but presumably anyone who comes out with the "would hate a nasty player on our team" objected to Roy Keane playing for our national side.

I can honestly say I never liked Keane and always called him a tramp as that's exactly what I believed him to be. I was delighted when he walked out on his country as it showed him up for exactly what he was.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I can honestly say I never liked Keane and always called him a tramp as that's exactly what I believed him to be. I was delighted when he walked out on his country as it showed him up for exactly what he was.

That's fair enough. But suspect a few here spluttering about disgraceful players as if Chelsea are unique did cheer him on, and didn't worry that he could stamp and elbow and held grudges for years and went out to injure players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Couldn't care less whether Mourinho & Wenger shook hands, embraced or even went the whole way after the game. Costa's the perfect Chelsea player, typifies the English huns

They are all English teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Keane had his nasty streak, as did a lot of players who played in his position with the commitment that he did. I am neither a United fan or even Keane's biggest fan but Keane could take as much as his dished out. All this nonsense about Costa being a 'warrior' is slightly laughable. he is nothing of the such. There is very few of Keane's breed left playing and Costa certainly isn't one of them.

Corholio wrote: »
    Keane had his nasty streak, as did a lot of players who played in his position with the commitment that he did. I am neither a United fan or even Keane's biggest fan but Keane could take as much as his dished out. All this nonsense about Costa being a 'warrior' is slightly laughable. he is nothing of the such. There is very few of Keane's breed left playing and Costa certainly isn't one of them.

100% agree with this. Keane and Vieira were a different breed to the likes of Costa. It's an insult to even compare them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Good point. I'm not a united supporter or keanes biggest fan but I still admire the man for the player he was. Costa shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Corholio wrote: »
    Keane had his nasty streak, as did a lot of players who played in his position with the commitment that he did. I am neither a United fan or even Keane's biggest fan but Keane could take as much as his dished out...

That doesn't mean anything. You think it's not extremely nasty to stamp on a player into his chest or try to sever someone's knee because the guilty party "could take as much as he dished out"?

That's just a cliche fired at the issue and it doesn't make sense. A player is either nasty or not. Keane was nasty. Costa is. Keane went out to injure and hurt players because, in his head, he held grudges for years.

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean anything. You think it's not extremely nasty to stamp on a player into his chest or try to sever someone's knee because the guilty party "could take as much as he dished out"?

That's just a cliche fired at the issue and it doesn't make sense. A player is either nasty or not. Keane was nasty. Costa is. Keane went out to injure and hurt players because, in his head, he held grudges for years.

I don't think you get the point being made.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think you get the point being made.

Oh I get it, I'm simply saying it's nonsense.

Keane was a nasty player. His stamp on Southgate, his tackle on Haaland motivated by a desire to injure him, is far worse than anything Costa has done. To try and demonise one and say the other is grand because of some cliche like "he could take it" is silly, particularly when Keane actually said he couldn't take it and would bear grudges for years.

Nice work costa.

No fairness in football anymore. 4 officials and they miss all this.

He'll just keep getting away with it. 7 yellow card offences.

Him getting Gabriel sent off is no different to diving and fooling the ref.

Chelsea fans singing his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Nice work costa.

Welcome to Boards Arsene

Welcome to Boards Arsene

Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Nice work costa.

Gabriel was no innocent. He knew Costa was fired up and had just gotten a yellow for the previous altercation. He thought he'd provoke Costa into lashing out and get him sent off. Except Costa retained his cool and Gabriel's idiocy got him sent off.

Also. Diego! Diego! Diego!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Keane went out to injure and hurt players because, in his head, he held grudges for years.

No he didnt. He went out to injure Haland. Singular. Not players, one particular player. And to be honest many feel Haland got what he deserved. If you shout abuse at somebody as they are rolling around with a cruciate knee injury, you have no moral highground when said player gives you the kicking you deserve.

I am no Keane fanboy. Far, far from it. But it always amazes me when people bring up Haland as a stick to beat Keane with. Haland got what was coming to him.

Kirby wrote: »
    Haland got what was coming to him.

That's fairly horrible.

He once said something mean when he had no idea that Keanes cruciate was gone, so deserved to have his knee severed?

That's just...appalling.

Anyway, getting back to Costa, there is no evidence that he ever set out to injure someone after brooding about it for years.

That's fairly horrible.

He once said something mean when he had no idea that Keanes cruciate was gone, so deserved to have his knee severed?

That's just...appalling.

Oh stop with the faux outrage.

It's pathetic.

• Advertisement

Oh stop with the faux outrage.

It's pathetic.

...says poster outraged by Chelsea and Costa...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement