Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subject help :)

• 18-09-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So I came to Ireland 11 months ago in the middle of 3rd year. I managed to do JC with flying colours. I don't do Irish.

I want to do either Japanese or arabic as an extra subject in LC. I know no word of Japanese but I am interested in it while arabic I know quite a lot.

The question is which subject will be the best to choose ? Keeping in mind that I do need help in arabic to form sentences as I only know words and arabic is ONE of the most difficult language. Will I get teachers here? Or any resources.

For those of you that are studying Japanese as a LC subject, how hard do you find it?

Can someone tell me what's on the syllabus and what books you guys are using?

Please do help me with anything :)

My LC subjects are

Maths
    English
    French
    Chem
    Phy
    Bio
    Applied maths( as an extra)
    Business studies ( never did it before)

All HL :) I might drop one of the extras if I ever found them hard to manage...

Thank you♡

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Japanese for LC expects only knowledge of a two year course, unlike the 'main' foreign languages which expect at least five years' instruction.

AFAIK Arabic is a native speaker standard exam (mainly for the school in Libya that does the LC). The syllabus says:
    The current syllabus is based on the Arabic curriculum taught at secondary school level in the state system of an Arabic-speaking country.

Since you already have French, I would concentrate on that as your language and not try to spread myself so thinly. You already have eight subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

spurious wrote: »
    Japanese for LC expects only knowledge of a two year course, unlike the 'main' foreign languages which expect at least five years' instruction.

AFAIK Arabic is a native speaker standard exam (mainly for the school in Libya that does the LC). The syllabus says:
    The current syllabus is based on the Arabic curriculum taught at secondary school level in the state system of an Arabic-speaking country.

Since you already have French, I would concentrate on that as your language and not try to spread myself so thinly. You already have eight subjects.

Thank you for your feedback

Yes I know I am already doing 8 subjects...I agree about french as I never did it before 3rd year

I was just giving it a thought as both of these languages I LOVE them and I find them fun :) I was just thinking if its possible :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's certainly possible and of the two Japanese would be the easier to get a good mark in, but it would be a lot of extra work and trouble, finding a tutor etc..
    You can take as many subjects as you like in the Leaving, but once people go over eight, their performance tends to suffer.

Is your native language available in the LC?

It's certainly possible and of the two Japanese would be the easier to get a good mark in, but it would be a lot of extra work and trouble, finding a tutor etc..
    You can take as many subjects as you like in the Leaving, but once people go over eight, their performance tends to suffer.

Is your native language available in the LC?

no ;_; even tho loads of people from my country live here :/

what about business studies? I never did it before, can I manage without a tutor?

Yes, probably, though I'm not sure why you want to do so many subjects.

• Advertisement

Yes, probably, though I'm not sure why you want to do so many subjects.

Haha ....I am just doing 8....was doing a research about arabic and japanese :)

My parents want me to focus on my core subjects...the only problem is business studies which I have the option of leaving out if I find it hard

In my school a lot of my friends are doing 8 subjects .... I guess a lot of people can manage ...I dont know :/

I dont do Irish so I am doing applied maths to make my subjects as 7 and applied maths appeals to me :)

I took business studies because in 3rd yr my friends were like 'oh its really easy' ' we all will do'...me being new and I never did it before, believed them and now they both doing technology as an extra...talk about ditchin!

Now I just want to give it time to see if I can do it or not ( I am generally good at memorising)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

9 HL subjects is way too much work in my opinion! I find 7 HL and 2 OL subjects straining at times.

If I were you, I'd forget about it! It'd be far too much work and would take up way too much of your time that you could spend on other subjects. If you really want to take up one of them then at least drop business. No point in staying with it if you don't like it. Take Japanese rather than Arabic though. The level of understanding required for Arabic would be far too high imo.

May I ask what your native language is?

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    9 HL subjects is way too much work in my opinion! I find 7 HL and 2 OL subjects straining at times.

If I were you, I'd forget about it! It'd be far too much work and would take up way too much of your time that you could spend on other subjects. If you really want to take up one of them then at least drop business. No point in staying with it if you don't like it. Take Japanese rather than Arabic though. The level of understanding required for Arabic would be far too high imo.

May I ask what your native language is?

I never said I will do 9 subjects....yes I know 9 will be very hard
    I was researching as I know arabic and I find it a subject in which I can relax so I was thinking if I could do it and if I did it I will most probably drop business :)

My native language is urdu

But what if dont do arabic or japanese but keep up with business studies, what will be the tips to do business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

I also want to do Japanese but at ordinary level (currently in 4th year), I know very basic Japanese and the kana. I am advised against doing it but I think that ordinary level is very doable and ''simple'' enough to achieve an A1 = 60 points /O1 = 57 points. Start with learning the kana.

Advertisement